+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Var

It’s ****.!!!

I don't like VAR at all and fear it will take much of the spontaneity and excitement out of the game. Who wants to wait 1.1/2 minutes to find out whether the people sitting in a room somewhere thought it was a goal....or not?
    I understand the argument that says it will help make sure decisions are correct but there will still be controversy and uncertainty.
    Personally I think the decision to disallow Wolves "goal" against Leicester for handball was ridiculous whereas others will disagree.
    Incidents like that are largely subjective and down to individual opinions and won't be conclusively proved one way or another by VAR.
    The men in suits have all but made sure that proper tackling is not allowed any more and VAR could be another step towards sanitising football to such an extent that it becomes boring and unwatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Cricket is suited to VAR as is Tennis and rugby.

Someone made a good point about the tolerance of the Harkeye used in cricket. The snickometre also works but there is only speradic action in cricket where as football is a flowing game that doesn't have natural stops unless the ball goes out of play. All other stops are caused by decisions made by officials
    Isn't var only used when a major incident has happened so the passage of play has already stopped? It's the length of time before restart that's annoying people. Plus in cricket/rugby it's the official not on the pitch that makes the final decision. Var it's still the ref on the pitch that has the final say
    Think it will take time and rules will change to suit it but like Neville said. It's not var that's wrong it's the many rules in footy, they don't complimented each other.

My biggest concern is the financial burden it will have on clubs down the system. How far down will it end up?
    Also What happens when non league teams play the big teams in the fa cup. Most grounds don't have sufficient places for camera to be placed nemind var stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I don't like VAR at all and fear it will take much of the spontaneity and excitement out of the game. Who wants to wait 1.1/2 minutes to find out whether the people sitting in a room somewhere thought it was a goal....or not?
    I understand the argument that says it will help make sure decisions are correct but there will still be controversy and uncertainty.
    Personally I think the decision to disallow Wolves "goal" against Leicester for handball was ridiculous whereas others will disagree.
    Incidents like that are largely subjective and down to individual opinions and won't be conclusively proved one way or another by VAR.
    The men in suits have all but made sure that proper tackling is not allowed any more and VAR could be another step towards sanitising football to such an extent that it becomes boring and unwatchable.
    If var was at our game Saturday Lincoln would have been down to 9 men with those 2 over the ball tackles.

Suppose it's the end of the "everything evens itself out over the season" quote but I really don't like it. They'll be no such things as on pitch refs in 20 years time at this rate or linesmen.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Isn't var only used when a major incident has happened so the passage of play has already stopped? It's the length of time before restart that's annoying people. Plus in cricket/rugby it's the official not on the pitch that makes the final decision. Var it's still the ref on the pitch that has the final say
    Think it will take time and rules will change to suit it but like Neville said. It's not var that's wrong it's the many rules in footy, they don't complimented each other.

My biggest concern is the financial burden it will have on clubs down the system. How far down will it end up?
    Also What happens when non league teams play the big teams in the fa cup. Most grounds don't have sufficient places for camera to be placed nemind var stuff.
    Good points Cayton. Yes it is the time it takes to take the decision that'll annoy.

The other sports do ask the off field refs to take the decisions you're right and something that they use as an aid.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I think it would be better to have 8/9 officials all reporting to the ref placed in strategic positions similar to where sky put their cameras for a live match.
    Even if VAR was used for just that and not debatable goals.
    Having a good look for shirt pulling, fouls, arms all over the place at corners etc.
    Loads of shirt pulling on smudge by their captain and RB.
    If the players knew someone was watching their particular zone they might think twice if the ball isn't near them but they might concede a free kick in s dangerous place.
    I'm not advocating stop start matches just a deterant to stamp out all the cheating
    Might be s better way to introduce a new idea
    American football, throwing flags on the pitch or 8 or 9 assistant referees 2 with flags the rest with flagless electronic handles. After all we already have 5 officials in the European games now.

VAR has been brought about in no small way by fans continually whinging about poor refereeing.

Simple goal line technology was all that was needed or asked for. Did it go over the line or not? That's all it should have been used for. If it's going to be used for everything then the decisions need to be instant or as near as. We've already seen examples of games entering a new passage of play only for the game to be stopped 30 seconds later so the ref can spend 5 minutes looking at a possible penalty decision from the previous scramble in the 6 yard box.
    We've even seen a penalty awarded by a human ref, then rescinded by VAR while the penalty kick was about to be taken.

Its crap

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Simple goal line technology was all that was needed or asked for. Did it go over the line or not? That's all it should have been used for. If it's going to be used for everything then the decisions need to be instant or as near as. We've already seen examples of games entering a new passage of play only for the game to be stopped 30 seconds later so the ref can spend 5 minutes looking at a possible penalty decision from the previous scramble in the 6 yard box.
    We've even seen a penalty awarded by a human ref, then rescinded by VAR while the penalty kick was about to be taken.

Its crap
    Not true though is it (all that was asked for is goal line technology). Every suppoter on every radio phone in, social media and message board has whinged about poor refereeing that cost its club points and the need to improve decision making.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast