+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: VAR Decisions

VAR Decisions

As we all know at Wembley against Watford we were on the wrong end of a VAR decision. Yesterday we had a goal disallowed against Leicester. Now, VAR has been introduced to eliminate what decisions referees miss. Now, i understand the VAR ref picking up on these decisions and pointing them out on a screen in a studio, bu i just think the on pitch referee should be able to view a decision on the side of the pitch, and then make the final decision.

Thoughts?

I think having someone else view it is better IMO. They are more unbiased than the official on the field who may or may not be willing to admit they made a mistake. An official viewing the replay in a booth or somewhere else gets a head start on viewing it as well and can make a quicker decision than an official running to the side of the pitch, watching on a tablet and making the decision from there.

I think it benefits the officials on the field. Everyone hates it when players crowd the referees after a controversial call. When someone else is making the decision, he can just say "Not my call. I was overturned." May not prevent all incidents of player complaints, but I think it alleviates some.

The current Premier League model is somewhat similar to how the National Hockey League operates their replays. Someone else is looking at the video and tells the head official what call to make/change. I think it works out pretty well and has the best implementation of replay in sports in North America IMO.

I will be interested if the Prem or FIFA ever incorporates coaching challenges. There are benefits and drawbacks to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf View Post
    I think having someone else view it is better IMO. They are more unbiased than the official on the field who may or may not be willing to admit they made a mistake. An official viewing the replay in a booth or somewhere else gets a head start on viewing it as well and can make a quicker decision than an official running to the side of the pitch, watching on a tablet and making the decision from there.

I think it benefits the officials on the field. Everyone hates it when players crowd the referees after a controversial call. When someone else is making the decision, he can just say "Not my call. I was overturned." May not prevent all incidents of player complaints, but I think it alleviates some.

The current Premier League model is somewhat similar to how the National Hockey League operates their replays. Someone else is looking at the video and tells the head official what call to make/change. I think it works out pretty well and has the best implementation of replay in sports in North America IMO.

I will be interested if the Prem or FIFA ever incorporates coaching challenges. There are benefits and drawbacks to it.

Have to agree with this in principle, if the Referee is to go to a screen every time something contentious happens that's going to really disrupt the flow of a game, better that there's someone who can do that for him and advise him while the game continues so that the only interruption is a decision / change of decision. VAR should help to stop diving and other forms of cheating so it's got to be a benefit, shame it is also likely to have an effect on atmosphere.

You could be right as the on field referee is too close to the action and someone in a studio gets to see numerous replays. Once the decision has been made, all concerned, players and coaching staff have to accept the decision and get on with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    Have to agree with this in principle, if the Referee is to go to a screen every time something contentious happens that's going to really disrupt the flow of a game, better that there's someone who can do that for him and advise him while the game continues so that the only interruption is a decision / change of decision. VAR should help to stop diving and other forms of cheating so it's got to be a benefit, shame it is also likely to have an effect on atmosphere.
    There were a few incidents where players went over too easily in my eyes for both side, Maddison and Jota. The disallowed goal yesterday left a lot bemused, but Leicester fans grateful.

I don't think that VAR is actually to "blame" for the disallowed goal. The fault lies with the a*holes at the FA who made up the law that accidental handball should be treated the same way as deliberate handball; which absolutely ridiculous. You might as well penalise a player for "controlling" the ball with his arse!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiebill View Post
    I don't think that VAR is actually to "blame" for the disallowed goal. The fault lies with the a*holes at the FA who made up the law that accidental handball should be treated the same way as deliberate handball; which absolutely ridiculous. You might as well penalise a player for "controlling" the ball with his arse!!
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiebill View Post
    My only question is if it would have been called a handball/penalty if it was in the other box. If they would have awarded a penalty had it happened to a defending player, then I'm fine with the decision. If not, then I don't like it.

My only question is if it would have been called a handball/penalty if it was in the other box. If they would have awarded a penalty had it happened to a defending player, then I'm fine with the decision. If not, then I don't like it.
    I mentioned the same elsewhere and i just hope VAR pulls it up. If not, then it's not consistent.

By way of comment on the 'Wolves-Leicester match day thread'I expressed my disgust with this 'new' F.A.Rule and did so whilst the match was still in play. With the advent of VAR there will be need for some experimentation with the existing rules, I understand that, however, the genius who thought this one up should hang his head in shame. I fully support the view expressed by WolfieBill. How on earth do the administrators of this billion dollar industry expect a referee to make a 'hand ball'decision that not only contradicts the long established rules of the game, but would be disregarded if it occurred elsewhere on the field. IMHO this is total f-----g madness.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)