Get your very own personalised Turfites Talk gifts!
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: What has become of Burnley - the town

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,082

    What has become of Burnley - the town

    Let me begin by categorically stating that I am in NO way racist.
    I have been fortunate to have lived and worked in many countries around the world and always tried my utmost to respect the local customs and traditions of where I lived, be that Pakistan, India, China, America....etc.
    I had to return to Burnley this year (visa issues) and I was dismayed by the denegration of the town of Burnley.
    Having returned here jobless, obviously, I was told that even though I had beeen paying "Dual Tax" for more than 20 years, I was entitled to NO financial help.
    I got talking, in the "Job Centre", to a family from Pakistan, 2 adults, 2 children.
    They remarked "how wonderful England is, we get benfits, housing, our children have free education and we pay nothing".
    Forgive me, but, does that seem a little unfair ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,550
    Let me also begin by stating I am categorically not a racist... If you don't like it Map then phook of back to the land of the slit eyed ones.. You know it makes sense..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    4,551
    .

    that seems unfair to me Map.

    but I think it an easy fix.... could tell them you identify as an Afghan lady called Mapi....and have had to leave China because of the persecution....that should do it !






  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks for endorsing my thoughts.
    I swear that NOTHING will give me greater pleasure, satisfaction than, as you so eloquently put it to "phook of back to the land of the slit eyed ones".....words almost fail me, no, actually they do.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,550
    You really do take me too seriously Map.. I just love winding you up..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,082
    Name:  Photo of beautiful Chinese lady.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  52.0 KB

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,082
    I know but "slit eyes" ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    30,654
    I know what you mean about losing benefits Map.

    One of my sister in laws in Essex started living with a Frenchman, his dream was to get a boat and sail across the Atlantic to French Guiana, he kept on and on at the sister in law saying it would be an adventure, she eventually relented and they sailed across with great difficulty getting in the doldrums for a few weeks as the engine broke down and the prop shaft snapped, so with no wind they drifted (would have driven me nuts) they eventually reached French Guiana via a few other places.

    She'd had enough and flew back, she'd been away about 18 months, had a regular job since School for over 20 years and a home before she left on the "Adventure" but was told she was entitled to Nothing, yet as you say Map, non British seem to get it time and time again.

    Alf really isn't a racist Map, he's just here for the crack and enjoys window everyone up, not just you fella

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,574
    Aye don't worry about Alfie Map, he even has a go at me at my age, he has no respect for anyone that tw@t.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by map View Post
    Let me begin by categorically stating that I am in NO way racist.
    I have been fortunate to have lived and worked in many countries around the world and always tried my utmost to respect the local customs and traditions of where I lived, be that Pakistan, India, China, America....etc.
    I had to return to Burnley this year (visa issues) and I was dismayed by the denegration of the town of Burnley.
    Having returned here jobless, obviously, I was told that even though I had beeen paying "Dual Tax" for more than 20 years, I was entitled to NO financial help.
    I got talking, in the "Job Centre", to a family from Pakistan, 2 adults, 2 children.
    They remarked "how wonderful England is, we get benfits, housing, our children have free education and we pay nothing".
    Forgive me, but, does that seem a little unfair ?
    You raise two issues map.

    The second being a Government farcical issue but the first is sad to me.

    What do you mean by denigration of the town of Burnley?

    I was born there but now living abroad have't been able to revisit since 1979.

    Is it badly run down in your view?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    You raise two issues map.

    The second being a Government farcical issue but the first is sad to me.

    What do you mean by denigration of the town of Burnley?

    I was born there but now living abroad have't been able to revisit since 1979.

    Is it badly run down in your view?
    I really hate to say this but if Turf Moor wasn't there, I wouldn't touch Burnley with a barge pole. It's scruffy, dilapidated and needs a Council who actually seem to give a phuck.

    The benefit "myth" really is just that. In this country fuelled by means testing and austerity, no-one and I mean no-one gets anything for nothing. The Tories have even managed to stop people who have given everything from getting help or benefits when they need it most.

    VOTE LABOUR - FOR THE MANY NOT THE FEW.

    Name:  maycuts.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  49.8 KB

    Sadly replaced by an even bigger threat to our democracy and working class values...

    Name:  Backstabbers.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  21.8 KB

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    You raise two issues map.

    The second being a Government farcical issue but the first is sad to me.

    What do you mean by denigration of the town of Burnley?

    I was born there but now living abroad have't been able to revisit since 1979.

    Is it badly run down in your view?
    i mean the general feeling , the atmosphere, the town centre, litter / junk everywhere, job prospects, etc.
    I find it difficult to recommend visiting Burnley,
    As I mentioned the town centre.....it seems to be full of "Poundland" shops or similar.
    As for job prospects within the town, it seems that "BooHoo" is the major employer.
    If anyone could suggest reasons why anyone should visit Burnley, the town, not Turf Moor or the surrounding countryside, I will be very interested to share their opinions.

  13. #13
    The little Underground stairways that connect the Mecca roundabout to the Bus Station is a sad indictment of a once proud Lancashire mill town.

  14. #14
    Well, on a positive note, I LOVE Towneley Park. In fact all the Burnley parks seem to be well looked after. Oh and I visit the tip because the one in Rossendale is actually further from my house. I know it's not exactly on the tourist agenda but they are the most helpful people there. There are worst places than Burnley. Living in Bacup we have the choice of shopping in either Rochdale or Burnley or Todmorden. They are all equidistant from us. Rochdale would be the top of my list to avoid!!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by frantastic51 View Post
    Well, on a positive note, I LOVE Towneley Park. In fact all the Burnley parks seem to be well looked after. Oh and I visit the tip because the one in Rossendale is actually further from my house. I know it's not exactly on the tourist agenda but they are the most helpful people there. There are worst places than Burnley. Living in Bacup we have the choice of shopping in either Rochdale or Burnley or Todmorden. They are all equidistant from us. Rochdale would be the top of my list to avoid!!
    I was once playing golf at Bacup Golf Club around Easter time. I bent over to mark the ball and a penguin bit me on the arse. Served the little barsteward right because this Tyrannosaurus Rex ran up and ate the little sod in one bite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •