+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: League Cup Dundee v Aberdeen

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    You sound like afc1903mad. Have you been kidnapped again. Hold tight, I'll get the team together.
    Sick of having soaked draars. Keep getting chaffed thighs, fed up of having to apply sudocrem, that horrible feeling when it stops being warm and all the p*sh turns cold. I'm a full blown happy clapper now.

Oh Derek McWinless.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Your turn...get it started
    I know my place. That's an honour I haven't earned yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Few observations from yesterday...

1) We were stinking again.
    2) We never had a shot at goal in first 45 minutes
    3) We were outclassed in every area of the field by a Championship team for most of the game
    4) We have no leaders on the park and no drive - we miss Shinnie big time when the chips are down
    5) Bryson looks unfit and still unsure how and where he's going to fit into the team anyway
    6) Gallagher is fast - that's all I can say about him after about 6 or 7 games now - what position is he meant to be playing? I've still no idea.
    7) Hedges and McGinn were dross
    8) Ojo was meant to be the guy to get on the ball and control the game - it seems to me he thinks he's better than he actually is. Dean Campbell did a better job of moving the ball around once he came on than Ojo had done.
    9) Why McInnes brought on Campbell for McGinn when we were behind is beyond me - bring Campbell on for Ojo or Bryson. If you're replacing McGinn bring on an attacking player. Bizzare.
    10) McLennan is not going to make it - he just runs fast, head down, gets lucky occasionally and beats his man, but invariably makes a mess of it after that. Two or three occasions yesterday he did the first bit well then wasted opportunities.
    11) Cosgrove played okay and scored, but he also missed two decent chances in the box.
    12) We reverted to hoofball. If we're going to do that could we please play 2 up front. What's the point having 3 central midfielders if you're just booting it over their heads. For what it's worth I think Cosgrove and Wilson could actually form a decent partnership.
    13) We didn't deserve to go through, but got very lucky - hopefully it'll give us a bit of confidence back for the next matches.
    Can’t argue with quite a few of these points but number 9 is bizarre to use your favourite word.

Campbell did come on for Bryson, a few minutes after McGinn had been replaced by another attacking player in McLennan. And then another few minutes after that Wilson came on for Hedges.

I wouldn’t say the substitutions had an immediate effect , but gradually we got on top and started to threaten them a lot more. I’d say that for the last 10-15 minutes or so up to the time we scored Ojo , at last , started to become more influential. Whether that was down to our substitutions I’m not sure. Probably partly down to that . But I think the fact that Dundee took off the one time Next Big Hvn , Jamie Ness (who IMO , had pretty much bossed the midfield) and put on the Permanent Niggly Wee Scrote , McGowan , who wasn’t nearly as effective was just as significant

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    Can’t argue with quite a few of these points but number 9 is bizarre to use your favourite word.

Campbell did come on for Bryson, a few minutes after McGinn had been replaced by another attacking player in McLennan. And then another few minutes after that Wilson came on for Hedges.

I wouldn’t say the substitutions had an immediate effect , but gradually we got on top and started to threaten them a lot more. I’d say that for the last 10-15 minutes or so up to the time we scored Ojo , at last , started to become more influential. Whether that was down to our substitutions I’m not sure. Probably partly down to that . But I think the fact that Dundee took off the one time Next Big Hvn , Jamie Ness (who IMO , had pretty much bossed the midfield) and put on the Permanent Niggly Wee Scrote , McGowan , who wasn’t nearly as effective was just as significant
    Apologies, I got the subs the wrong way round as they happened close to each other. For what it's worth I thought Campbell did a better job of keeping the ball moving than Ojo or Bryson did and McLennan at least got past his man a couple of times, unlike McGinn, even if he did waste it afterwards. The substitutions didn't change the game though - we got to about the 80th minute and we still lacked any kind of urgency or drive. We had to rely on a set piece again to create a chance to get the equaliser.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Few observations from yesterday...

1) We were stinking again.
    2) We never had a shot at goal in first 45 minutes
    3) We were outclassed in every area of the field by a Championship team for most of the game
    4) We have no leaders on the park and no drive - we miss Shinnie big time when the chips are down
    5) Bryson looks unfit and still unsure how and where he's going to fit into the team anyway
    6) Gallagher is fast - that's all I can say about him after about 6 or 7 games now - what position is he meant to be playing? I've still no idea.
    7) Hedges and McGinn were dross
    8) Ojo was meant to be the guy to get on the ball and control the game - it seems to me he thinks he's better than he actually is. Dean Campbell did a better job of moving the ball around once he came on than Ojo had done.
    9) Why McInnes brought on Campbell for McGinn when we were behind is beyond me - bring Campbell on for Ojo or Bryson. If you're replacing McGinn bring on an attacking player. Bizzare.
    10) McLennan is not going to make it - he just runs fast, head down, gets lucky occasionally and beats his man, but invariably makes a mess of it after that. Two or three occasions yesterday he did the first bit well then wasted opportunities.
    11) Cosgrove played okay and scored, but he also missed two decent chances in the box.
    12) We reverted to hoofball. If we're going to do that could we please play 2 up front. What's the point having 3 central midfielders if you're just booting it over their heads. For what it's worth I think Cosgrove and Wilson could actually form a decent partnership.
    13) We didn't deserve to go through, but got very lucky - hopefully it'll give us a bit of confidence back for the next matches.
    Yes, agree with most of that other than (9), already pointed out and (10) McLennan did more than anyone had done in the game up to that point in an attacking sense. Sure he screwed up a few times but cut him some slack for being young and just back in the team. And (8), I don't know about Ojo. First half was last season's ****e, pass it round the midfield then back to the defence, or worse, back to Joe Lewis, and hoof it forward. No one got got forward in the midfield and Cosgrove had to come ever deeper to pick up the ball leaving no one up front. Whether by instinct or instruction, Ojo got further forward later in the second half and did make telling passes. Is it fear or McInnes's plan for the midfield to stay so far back? You can argue that Sachkere were not a great team but our midfield were pressimg them from their penalty box forward. Yesterday. and against St Mirren, we gave up huge chunks of the pitch to the opposition.

Yesterday's result was a great opportunity for a manager to talk about determination and character in getting a result. Sadly there was neither: it was just bloody lucky and the championship team, running out of steam, had three centre halves on the pitch trying to defend a lead.

F'kin hell, reading through that was torture. a couple of poor perfomances and most are writing off the season, deary me.

Season is barely 2 week old ffs! at this stage of the season, and with the limited time between games, it was always going to be up and down. a week of prep for the next game will make the world of difference. Mcinnes said after the Chikhura home game, thats how he wanted us to play this season, i for one am willing to wait for longer than 3 domestic games before jumping on the "season is going to be ****e" bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by rustlinsweetiepapers View Post
    Yesterday's result was a great opportunity for a manager to talk about determination and character in getting a result. Sadly there was neither: it was just bloody lucky and the championship team, running out of steam, had three centre halves on the pitch trying to defend a lead.
    Absolutely - a set piece lumped into the box saved us. It was more luck and the opposition tiring than anything else. There's a serious lack of passion and aggression in this team - Ferguson gives us a little, but when he isn't there we're a very brittle bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavrum View Post
    F'kin hell, reading through that was torture. a couple of poor perfomances and most are writing off the season, deary me.

Season is barely 2 week old ffs! at this stage of the season, and with the limited time between games, it was always going to be up and down. a week of prep for the next game will make the world of difference. Mcinnes said after the Chikhura home game, thats how he wanted us to play this season, i for one am willing to wait for longer than 3 domestic games before jumping on the "season is going to be ****e" bandwagon
    Not writing off the season at all. Loved the home performance against Sachkere but wondering why with similar personnel against Dundee we did not press, did not push forward and did not play through the midfield. Was it instructions from the coaching team or was it fear in the players?

Quote Originally Posted by rustlinsweetiepapers View Post
    Not writing off the season at all. Loved the home performance against Sachkere but wondering why with similar personnel against Dundee we did not press, did not push forward and did not play through the midfield. Was it instructions from the coaching team or was it fear in the players?
    i think physically and emotionally they put a lot into Thursday night, didnt go as we wanted and it has dented the confidence a little. A fighting win to stay in the cup, will do them good. A week to prepare for Killie properly will also help

Quote Originally Posted by Stavrum View Post
    i think physically and emotionally they put a lot into Thursday night, didnt go as we wanted and it has dented the confidence a little. A fighting win to stay in the cup, will do them good. A week to prepare for Killie properly will also help
    A voice of reason.
    Hopefully a chance to work on a few things and get a better performance next week

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast