+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Naismith (supposedly) out, our XI

Naismith (supposedly) out, our XI

Naismith is out, according to Levein, although I'd wait until the team lists are printed before trusting that. They've also dropped their goalie unfortunately.

As for us, some big decisions to be made.

Gilliespie is not going to get dropped for one bad game but Dunne's jersey might be on a shaky peg meaning Hartley could come in. We're still without Carroll so do we persist with Tait on the left? Moving him would improve right back but would mean throwing in Livingstone almost cold...that would allow Grimshaw to move into midfield if we want to 'earn the right to play' though Donnelly and Campbell will feel they have done their bit so far. I like Polworth as a player but a cup tie with Hearts may not be the place for a guy trying to find space for delicate passes - especially if the guys he's trying to find up front are useless anyway.

Most of these calls (Livingstone excepted) are relatively marginal but the front three spots just look grim. The case against Hylton, Long, Scott, Seedorf, Cole and Ilic is sadly much stronger than the reason to play any of them - but unless we pull a real fast one (Semple in or Polworth out wide? Chuck 4-3-3 already to go 3-5-2? Neither of those options are likely to solve the scoring problem) we'll need to pick three of them.

It would all be a little easier shuffling the wingers in and out if we at least knew who'd be leading the line...I don't think there's any doubt Robinson deserved to be boss into this season given our form in the second half of last term but signing five wingers/forwards while only having Scott as a 100% number nine seems a bizarre use of our resources.

Even if we lose tonight the manager won't come under serious pressure. But after a couple of league games with alibis, this starts a couple of weeks where we really need to get things right on and off the pitch - it's a big day.

There's no hiding place for anyone if we don't win tonight. It's a Cup tie, therefore it falls firmly into the 'must win' category especially as it's against a side not in form at all.

However as I've already said I don't think we will win tonight because we simply aren't good enough. Yet again our manager has, I believe, mad a rip, roaring Harry Hunt of a summer transfer window and failed to address key areas of the team. We needed a goalscorer, and at least two attacking midfielders instead we sign two wingers who aren't good enough and a striker that looks as though he won't be first choice, plus he's not good enough either.

We won't win tonight, indeed I think it will be a hugely frustrating and disappointing night.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)