+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Facial recognition cameras.....good or bad?

My concern would be the scope for abuse once the system is used to survey the public at large. Flourbasher's Orwellian fears are not to be taken lightly but the threat may be less complex. Digital facial image data is easily transported, copied, manipulated and linked to other digitized personal data. We would be relying on security forces and government bodies not to mislay this - not something they have a good record on. Not all of them are beyond a payment for releasing or illegally storing information and some could be coerced into giving data away.

While the technology is not 100% accurate, there is too much risk of mistaken identity. Studies show that recognition is increasingly inaccurate the darker skinned the target is - which will lead to all sorts of obvious problems.

There are clearly very positive aspects to the evolving technology and Brin is right when he says that for most law-abiding people there isn't too much to worry about. My response is that at this point we just don't know enough about the ramifications of misuse and inaccuracy. While there is a risk that an innocent person will be fitted up for something they didn't do or will be used as a pawn in somebody's game or will be exploited in some way by a criminal element (blackmail for example) I think we need to tread very carefully.

Facebook was hailed for all its positives; we are now seeing a much darker, more dangerous side. I'm not confident that facial recognition systems might not be plagued by the same problems.

Until we have 100% accuracy and a methodology for capturing and using data within fully defined and foolproof parameters, perhaps we should wait.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    My concern would be the scope for abuse once the system is used to survey the public at large. Flourbasher's Orwellian fears are not to be taken lightly but the threat may be less complex. Digital facial image data is easily transported, copied, manipulated and linked to other digitized personal data. We would be relying on security forces and government bodies not to mislay this - not something they have a good record on. Not all of them are beyond a payment for releasing or illegally storing information and some could be coerced into giving data away.

While the technology is not 100% accurate, there is too much risk of mistaken identity. Studies show that recognition is increasingly inaccurate the darker skinned the target is - which will lead to all sorts of obvious problems.

There are clearly very positive aspects to the evolving technology and Brin is right when he says that for most law-abiding people there isn't too much to worry about. My response is that at this point we just don't know enough about the ramifications of misuse and inaccuracy. While there is a risk that an innocent person will be fitted up for something they didn't do or will be used as a pawn in somebody's game or will be exploited in some way by a criminal element (blackmail for example) I think we need to tread very carefully.

Facebook was hailed for all its positives; we are now seeing a much darker, more dangerous side. I'm not confident that facial recognition systems might not be plagued by the same problems.

Until we have 100% accuracy and a methodology for capturing and using data within fully defined and foolproof parameters, perhaps we should wait.
    Excellent post
    There are obvious benefits but there are downsides. As per your Facebook point the scope for misuse will perhaps only become clear once we are stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Doesn't bother me one dot if they put them up in every town and city. I've nothing to hide so nothing to fear.

I don't buy all these 'You're invading my privacy' shouts. What have they got to fear? If they're going about their general way of life, what have they got to hide?

With the heightened threat of todays terrorism and the general way that how violent society is, I say bring them on and let them be available for use if needed. A much smarter system and a far more effective way of tracking someone more quickly.

It's been reported that Meadowhall shopping centre management, in partnership with South Yorkshire Police, recently used these in order to track known shoplifters. According to official feedback, the footage was destroyed once viewed.

Thoughts?
    Did you have owt to hide in 1984/5 Brin?

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    Let's just say it's a good job that back in the day they didn't have nob recognition cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Let's just say it's a good job that back in the day they didn't have nob recognition cameras.
    Indeed...😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    Hmmm...are you suggesting that during the Miners' strike that the strikers did things that were illegal?

What about those people who suffer from insecurity. It's one thing having someone turn away from you when they see you walking up the street but if they saw a camera turning away after it had recognised them it could be the last straw for some!

I think that it was Richard Osman the man off Pointless who said that his daughter was living in China. He told a story of her and some frields using a public toilet whilst on a trip. Her face was recognised and she was able to obtain toilet roll whilst the friend who was visiting her wasn't allowed any toilet roll because the face recognition didn't have her profile in the system.

China has the face recognition system in place already and the Americans have banned Huawei to some extent. How easy will it be for the Chinese to hack the new G5 system in the Uk or any other country that installs it into their G5 networks? If they were to have face recognition of everyone in the world and use it against people.

I fear ffor the protesters in Hong Kong! How long will it be before they are rounded up and taken away?

"I fear for the protesters in Hong Kong! How long will it be before they are rounded up and taken away?"

Not soon enough IMHO

I have more to fear from vandals, flytippers, drunken hooligans, thieves, burglars, muggers and yobs than from Big Brother.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast