+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Warne meets centre-half target

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Casper do you think a new Ch will solve the problems? Will it solve our defensive frailty?
    Who is the weak link at the back? Is it the midfield. Or maybe the formation?

I'm really struggling to see why were conceding so many goals. Even last LG 1 promotion we had one of the worst goals against in the top half
    Some of it is down to lack of conentration, five minutes before half-time and five-minutes after instead of getting through to half-time without conceding.
    I get the feeling some will be disappointed IF / WHEN this new CB arrives, I'm not expecting a top class CB to arrive, just someone to bolster the squad numbers.
    Not fussed with 4-3-3 either, if we're scoring the goals then there's no problem, it's when you get a tight game like Saturday.
    By playing 3 in the middle we run the risk of being overun.
    Wimbledon bypassed our three-man midfield by knocking it long over the top.
    One positive is we're creating chances so it's just a question of putting teams well out of the game instead of hanging on to 1-0.

We always say " one goal is never enough "
    They need to kill off the game when the opportunity arises. Let's face it we won't always keep a clean sheet.

Well here’s a question

For corners and other set piece defending does our defence play man for man marking or zonal defence?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Well here’s a question

For corners and other set piece defending does our defence play man for man marking or zonal defence?
    Grist, I get the idea that our backroom staff, Warne included, do not do any recky work on the opposition. Do we send anyone to go and have look at future opposition?

Something I was always brought up on at school and saw whilst playing footie, was we ALWAYS had a player on each post defending a corner, why don't we see this anymore? From that we then had the rest of the team man mark a player and woe betide you if your man scored.

Whilst this was happening, we always left at least one player on or near the half way line which usually resulted in 1 if not 2 players marking said man. This in itself upset the attacking balance. All we seem to do when defending, is flood our area
    with our players in a clogged up mess, with no one knowing who is doing what. Get back to friggin basics like I've pointed out and we would see an improvement, I truly believe we would.

For every corner we defend imo there should be 3 Rotherham players outside of our own area. 2 wide on the half way line and one just outside our box. This makes opposition keep 4 players back/outside the box
    This frees up our box for our keeper to clean up any ball within 7/8 yards of goal.

Every corner theres 19 or 20 player inside the box. Play as above it reduces to 13/14..

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    For every corner we defend imo there should be 3 Rotherham players outside of our own area. 2 wide on the half way line and one just outside our box. This makes opposition keep 4 players back/outside the box
    This frees up our box for our keeper to clean up any ball within 7/8 yards of goal.

Every corner theres 19 or 20 player inside the box. Play as above it reduces to 13/14..
    We defended corners /freekicks reasonably well at Burton, much better than previous games. They only had two clear chances from corners / free kicks everything else was cleared. It's all well and good saying we should clear every ball, it doesn't work that way whichever League you look at.
    Any crosses that came in from out wide on Saturday were dealt with by a competent Daniel Iverson.

Didn't realise the last time we were in League 1 our goals against column were as bad as you've made out.

Don't tell me it's going to a second date.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Don't tell me it's going to a second date.
    At this very moment they’re digging up Cilla Black to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Didn't realise the last time we were in League 1 our goals against column were as bad as you've made out.
    we conceded 53 goals from league games. plus another 8 from the cup games. it was almost a case of " we will score one more than you"
    donny in 15th conceded less goals, Wimbledon n rochdale only conceded a couple more and both almost went down.. 3rd highest scorers though which always helps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123