+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperate for a win

Desperate for a win

Mowbray badly needs to get a win today I feel. 4 wins since Feb 2019 is a really really poor run of form. Not good enough in reality.
    Huddersfield sacked their manager last night because he has failed to win a game since last Jan. We aren't far behind and really this needs to start changing. I'm unsure about any of his summer business, as today will be about staying with the likes of Graham & Bennett. And I keep looking back at such a poor record over such a long period, and I am starting to wonder.
    Boro know Downing well. And will be happy to see him start. No doubt he will. Concerning. Like that pathetic performance on Tyres, adding to a woeful start. Hopefully there will be some positive signs. Lose and I do think it's maybe time to start considering other options moving forward.

He's strengthened the team in all places needed apart from RB. Johnson, Tosin and Cunningham look solid signings.
    We had a good season last time out and are just 3 games into a new one.
    I'm tired of all the moaning, sorry.

And Gallagher was a one man team today, great performance

Aye, I heard Gallagher played well today. As did all of them. Well done to them

Phew! Just finished watching. Gritty, rather than pretty, but just what was needed.
    After last season, I all but switched off for the last 15 minutes, especially with the introduction of three attack-minded players, but - in fact - we continued to defend well.
    In the end, Mowbray had a bob each way with both Gallagher and Graham playing, and I wasn't sure where the supply was going to come from. However, Gallagher was much more comfortable than I expected in a wider role. He kind of looks clumsy, but his control is actually OK. It's something to do with the long legs, I think.
    I suspect the new style is still going to be introduced gradually, but Mowbray went for the pragmatic approach today and it worked.
    One quibble: we really do need to up our percentage where taking half-chances is concerned. Having said that, Downing was unlucky with the curling shot. There were a few moments like that - where you saw the class that took him to the top level.

A much needed 3 points and a clean sheet too.
    Cunningham really was a much needed addition to the squad,his presence has helped no end.
    I know Bennett isn't everyone's cup of tea but even he has improved since taking the captaincy.
    Little things we could do better,but things look so much brighter with 3 points.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Phew! Just finished watching. Gritty, rather than pretty, but just what was needed.
    After last season, I all but switched off for the last 15 minutes, especially with the introduction of three attack-minded players, but - in fact - we continued to defend well.
    In the end, Mowbray had a bob each way with both Gallagher and Graham playing, and I wasn't sure where the supply was going to come from. However, Gallagher was much more comfortable than I expected in a wider role. He kind of looks clumsy, but his control is actually OK. It's something to do with the long legs, I think.
    I suspect the new style is still going to be introduced gradually, but Mowbray went for the pragmatic approach today and it worked.
    One quibble: we really do need to up our percentage where taking half-chances is concerned. Having said that, Downing was unlucky with the curling shot. There were a few moments like that - where you saw the class that took him to the top level.
    After several weeks of moaning, which I accept I went way too far with, I see why he reverted back to DG alongside Dack. We needed the points, we needed the boost, and lets be fair, that partnership does work. It's proven, and gets results. Yes, in the long-term SG will be the main striker. Well after Graham has retired. And I was of the mindset Dack needs to learn to play well with him. And the sooner that happens, the better.
    But that will all be a gradual thing. And he sounded like he had a very good game on Sat.
    He won every header, and caused them problems.
    What I like about DG is he only had 17 touches over the whole game. Just 17!!! Much less than anyone on the pitch.
    But he also had the most telling impact on that pitch. And I bet of those 17 touches, the majority where causing them problems.
    But I am heartened my the performance of SG. Once he gets going scoring wise, I think he will be effective.
    What a relief to have a quality LB in the side. I still maintain if we had as much quality at RB we would be even better. As I still feel Bennett is a weak link. He didnt cost us on Sat, but I heard he gave the ball away alot. If Tosin is back soon, I would try him. As no way could he play instead of either Williams or Lenihan. Or maybe consider going 3 at the back and use wing-backs.
    Also, Johnson was effective ALL game not just the first 70 mins, which also had an impact.
    I feel like the season has just started after a sluggish start.
    Onto Hull where we must be going with some confidence.

That's the spirit Champs!
    We know it won't be an easy ride, it never is

Champs - I am quite keen on the three-at-the-back idea, and I think we may well see it in some games. I said in a post a couple of weeks back that this is last-chance season for Nyambe, but it's beginning to look as if Mowbray is still not convinced by him.
    Apparently, Rankin-Costello had another very good game as full-back for the U-23s. It's not his natural position, but I suppose Travis went the other way, so it can work.
    Tosin doesn't look like a full-back to me, although he has played there quite a lot. Bennett just seems to be the pragmatic choice at the moment, and he has looked much better, defensively, in the last two league-games. It's one of the team-puzzles that has still to be fully solved, I reckon.
    As far as Gallagher is concerned, I have to admit I was a bit gobstruck by his performance. If he can do that out wide, I am much more confident now that he will be a suitable replacement for Graham eventually.
    Of course, that does beg another question about Brereton...
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 19-08-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - I am quite keen on the three-at-the-back idea, and I think we may well see it in some games. I said in a post a couple of weeks back that this is last-chance season for Nyambe, but it's beginning to look as if Mowbray is still not convinced by him.
    Apparently, Rankin-Costello had another very good game as full-back for the U-23s. It's not his natural position, but I suppose Travis went the other way, so it can work.
    Tosin doesn't look like a full-back to me, although he has played there quite a lot. Bennett just seems to be the pragmatic choice at the moment, and he has looked much better, defensively, in the last two league-games. It's one of the team-puzzles that has still to be fully solved, I reckon.
    As far as Gallagher is concerned, I have to admit I was a bit gobstruck by his performance. If he can do that out wide, I am much more confident now that he will be a suitable replacement for Graham eventually.
    Of course, that does beg another question about Brereton...
    Brereton! Who knows, part of me feels one day he will come good. He may have already, and is just having to wait his time? Time is very much on his side. I am still of the belief, our current formation may not suit him. And better players who have much more impact (Dack and Graham) are playing already. He may just have to bide his time, and wait. I would quite like him to be more involved this season, I think it must be tough coming in and out of the cold. Another way, is if SG moves inside (which he will as DG simply wont be able to start every week) Brerteton could occupy where SG played on Sat. The best accolade I can give Gallagher is he was much more effective than BB has ever been out there. And I dare say Armstrong.

Quite looking forward to this evenings game. Maybe Chapman could make the bench?

Re Tosin, he clearly said he doesn't like playing RB and feels he is just a CH. I think City and ourselves discussed this at length in the summer, remember when the deal seemed to stall? I think it was down to the fact he ended up playing RB at WBA quite alot, and both City and him felt he didn't progress as much as they wanted.
    But how many footballers will tell you where they want to play, vrs where they end up playing in reality?
    Unless we got an injury, I don't see him playing Tosin over Williams and Lenihan. So the lad may have to make do with playing out of position for a while. Of course, an injury or suspension will come to light, so he will get his chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)