+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Burton Albion Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndEarly View Post
    Woods is so good we don't need to address this position. Longevity is a function of bull 5hit propaganda. The chances that fall into our box unguarded are worryingly frequent.

To get better - to aim above midtable mediocrity - we need to build a team from the back for the future.

The club propagandists are falling over themselves to cover Wood obvious shortfalls and mistakes.

I bet my son a sausage roll that NO CH will be available although we tried our best and he was a good person.....but he wasn't Warne's best mate.

The MM and Wood brigade don't see a problem....I hope you're right.

But considering we'll not be relegated TS will be satisfied with another league one stay....and we'll all be happy with that....one big happy family but no cigar with this attitude.

Unbelievable Jeff.
    Ok I asked you a very simple question for your thoughts on the Quest pundits (Colin Murray, Gary Rowett and in particular Sam Parkin) being in agreement that our defence was excellent and Wood was the colossus of the defence. Unless Murray, Rowett and Parkin are Warney's mates or "club propagandists" then I would take their opinions as neutral and well informed.

Before you start accusing me of "pack mentality" or being in the "Wood brigade," I was more than happy to agree with your point that we rode our luck with the penalty call. Wood is by no means perfect and of course he has flaws, like every player at League One level otherwise they'd all be playing in the Premiership.

We're all entitled to our opinions and to express them but by doing so we also must accept that other people have the right to call us out on them. For me, you make a few valid points when pointing out the odd frailty in Woods' game but it all comes unstuck when you point blank refuse to give the man ANY credit. Ever. That to me is when "opinion" becomes an agenda.

On Saturday we won "ugly" against a very good and well organised Burton side. Away from home. We did what we needed to do and did it effectively. We kept a clean sheet and they only managed two shots on target. When we lost to Lincoln we praised their defensive grit in that of our 17 attempts at goal we could only get 3 on target. We applied the same grit against Burton and they could only muster 2 on target from 15. By all means, we are not perfect and it's fair to point out flaws and areas that need work. But if you can't give any praise at all despite many things to be happy about, then I can only assume you would rather we failed just so you could have an "I told you so" moment.

How is that in the best interests of Rotherham Utd?

Have we brought Bailey-King back yet?

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Well done Galley when you mentioned on another thread about starting Richard Wood rather than bring Mattock back into the side.
    I take back what I said about not being fussed about playing Robertson at LB.
    All across the backline performed well and make no mistake Burton are a good side. This game could have ended up 4-3 to us if both sides had taken their chances.
    Have to agree about Lindsay as well, hopefully a lot more to come from this lad.
    Thanks Frank. Its all about opinions and we all have the Millers at heart (or at least most of us do). Richard Wood will give 100% every game. He will make mistakes, he is 34, not the fastest, but he is a captain and the defence look more solid with him in it in my opinion.

Its very early days and we have, to all intent and purposes, a new team, playing a new system. 6 points from 9 is therefore a decent start. Shame about the postponements but it does give Warney and co. time to get over any injury niggles, work on the system and check out our next two opponents. There's always two sides of every debate. UTM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galley On View Post
    Thanks Frank. Its all about opinions and we all have the Millers at heart (or at least most of us do). Richard Wood will give 100% every game. He will make mistakes, he is 34, not the fastest, but he is a captain and the defence look more solid with him in it in my opinion.

Its very early days and we have, to all intent and purposes, a new team, playing a new system. 6 points from 9 is therefore a decent start. Shame about the postponements but it does give Warney and co. time to get over any injury niggles, work on the system and check out our next two opponents. There's always two sides of every debate. UTM.
    Yep. Wood is not the quickest and against certain teams in this league he shouldn't play but he will be ok against the majority .He still has a lot of attributes and will be fine against teams with slower forwards.

My angst against Wood is that I now expect mistakes and I am never disappointed. The vision of him stumbling or being flat footed is replicated far too often. At Burton there were headed chances for Burton that were missed (thank goodness) but for a forward to get his head to a cross that falls at head height within the six yard box at the centre of the goal SHOULD BE eaten alive and cleared by the CB's and that happens a lot.

No agenda just acknowledged systemic mistakes that are getting progressively worse.

As for TV the pundits rarely rubbish footballers at this level as they would just be saying players a poor as they retreat down the footballing pyramid.

Footballers are a small club of like minded individuals - a mutual appreciation society - fans (who have played for a lifetime) can see football feux pa's and don't have professional courtesy to subdue their observations.

You're right - football is all about opinions but if Warne still thinks Wood is still up to leading our club into the future at CB then I fear for our future. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Yep. Wood is not the quickest and against certain teams in this league he shouldn't play but he will be ok against the majority .He still has a lot of attributes and will be fine against teams with slower forwards.
    True, he may come unstuck against faster forwards. However, Icky and particularly Olosunde are fast enough to cover. In addition, its the job of our midfield to stop balls going into space for the forwards. Of course it will happen, but lets not get too negative about it.

Quote Originally Posted by easyandearly View Post
    my angst against wood is that i now expect mistakes and i am never disappointed. The vision of him stumbling or being flat footed is replicated far too often. At burton there were headed chances for burton that were missed (thank goodness) but for a forward to get his head to a cross that falls at head height within the six yard box at the centre of the goal should be eaten alive and cleared by the cb's and that happens a lot.

No agenda just acknowledged systemic mistakes that are getting progressively worse.

As for tv the pundits rarely rubbish footballers at this level as they would just be saying players a poor as they retreat down the footballing pyramid.

Footballers are a small club of like minded individuals - a mutual appreciation society - fans (who have played for a lifetime) can see football feux pa's and don't have professional courtesy to subdue their observations.

You're right - football is all about opinions but if warne still thinks wood is still up to leading our club into the future at cb then i fear for our future. Imo.
    wow!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678