+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Rules This Season

New Rules This Season

Goal-kicks

Under the old legislation, the ball was dead until it left the penalty area after a goal-kick was taken.

Now, the ball is in play from the moment it is touched and it can be played before leaving the 18-yard box.

The change "creates a faster and more dynamic restart to the game" and stops the tactic of wasting time when a defender deliberately plays the ball before it leaves the penalty area knowing that the goal-kick will be retaken.
    One rule that interests me this season is the above. Already teams that often have the keeper play the ball to a wing back are passing it about in their own eigh**** yard area. I can see a few mistakes being made and goals conceded.

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71 View Post
    One rule that interests me this season is the above. Already teams that often have the keeper play the ball to a wing back are passing it about in their own eigh**** yard area. I can see a few mistakes being made and goals conceded.
    Embarrassed to say that I wasn’t aware of that... a rule that should suit us though.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    Embarrassed to say that I wasn’t aware of that... a rule that should suit us though.
    It could also go against sides, the opposition could play an high line and force mistakes. Or it could just mean the keeper will have to kick long upfield.

If a side presses high against a goal kick that’s going to leave space behind to exploit, risky in itself... be interesting to see how this pans out. As you say bound to be a few soft goals.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    If a side presses high against a goal kick that’s going to leave space behind to exploit, risky in itself... be interesting to see how this pans out. As you say bound to be a few soft goals.
    As long as we don't get caught out by it then i'll be happy.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)