+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stoke.

Stoke.

So what do we reckon then...two points lost or a point gained?
    Suppose some will say that if Waghorn had taken all his chances we’d have six points from Swansea and Stoke but, imo, he ‘stood up and was counted’ with that penalty on Saturday and 5/9 against three recently relegated sides is a decent start from a newly assembled side and a new manager.

Point gained in the end. We need our best 11 to start. We struggled first half but then at least Cocu had the balls to change things.
    Don't blame Waghorn at all. Not a great penalty but it went in.

Its a strange one, but any unbeaten start including 3 away games out of 4 cant be all bad. But then look at what we have played: the bottom 2 teams in the championship, a team in 91st place in the league and some Welsh! Its so hard to say if its "good" or merely adequate: but it could be a lot worse

We need to remember we are in rebuild mould, rebuild team, rebuild how we play, rebuild club structure, rebuild youth development and Cocu has a four year brief.
    To achieve all of that and remain fully competitive will not be easy, it is one step at a time, a case of laying down the foundations and moving forward as and when each rung of the ladder is negotiated.
    I think top ten will be excellent if the project is progressing!! Anything better will be superb. To me we have made an excellent start but there will be hiccups along the way. We will need at least three transfer windows before Cocu can say 'this is my team, this is my method'!!
    I like what little I have seen and read so far and think the Stoke result is part of that. Good result.

Stoke's direct and physical approach is one that often sees us struggle. I am quite happy with a point from there under the circumstances.

With Marriott fast approaching fitness and Holmes not far behind him Cocu will have a selection headache, one he will relish.

It's a 46 game marathon, not a sprint. We are reasonably well out of the blocks and can be reasonably happy with our start. As we start to straighten up and extend our stride we have more difficult hurdles ahead. Bristol and WBA at home followed by the Trees away in the EFL Cup and then away at Brentford we will have done very well to reach the end of August with a 0 in the losses column.

This Ram is happy but not ecstatic. We have a solid start to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    We need to remember we are in rebuild mould, rebuild team, rebuild how we play, rebuild club structure, rebuild youth development and Cocu has a four year brief.
    To achieve all of that and remain fully competitive will not be easy, it is one step at a time, a case of laying down the foundations and moving forward as and when each rung of the ladder is negotiated.
    I think top ten will be excellent if the project is progressing!! Anything better will be superb. To me we have made an excellent start but there will be hiccups along the way. We will need at least three transfer windows before Cocu can say 'this is my team, this is my method'!!
    I like what little I have seen and read so far and think the Stoke result is part of that. Good result.
    Not fully in agreement there mac.

The team? Yes. Arguably our 3 most important players gone. Their replacements really will have to stand up and be counted.

Youth development? That has been in transition mode for 4 or 5 years now and last season the U18s were English Champions. All Wassall has to do is carry on where he left off last season. It will be interesting to see how the U19s do in the "Champions League".

Play? Not really. Cocu himself has said it's more a question of the odd tweak here and there as opposed to a huge change.

Club structure? Looks much the same as last year to me. The only thing I can think of is getting a Director of football" in. That is the setup Cocu is used to.

Top 10? Yes, that will be good. Top 6 will be very good and top 2 would see me turning cartwheels....... something I've never been able to do.

In my experience I found that asking people to make even the odd tweak produced more teething problems!! Within the club structure I reckon there will be more changes than we might think. If and when Mel develops confidence in Cocu I reckon more of his influence on the whole club will emerge. I agree re. the youth side but again I see his influence on that becoming part and parcel of how the club is moving forward!!
    With results I agree that we are moving towards an interesting as no testing spell where the expected odd hiccup should not affect what Cocu and Mel are seeking to achieve.

Addendum: 'an interesting and testing spell' is what it should say!!!
    (B....y thing thinks it knows better than me!!)

This might be as rare as Halley’s Comet these days, but I agree with Angry...it was good to see a manager who responded to what was happening by changing the system. Can’t remember the last time that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    This might be as rare as Halley’s Comet these days, but I agree with Angry...it was good to see a manager who responded to what was happening by changing the system. Can’t remember the last time that happened.
    RA yes probably good to see a manager prepared to change things . But after being there not sure it improved us much Their second goal was a direct result of defenders not sure how to play three at the back I think we will continue to struggle till Marriott is properly fit and out manager gives up trying to make a Championship player out of Josefzoon For to agree with Mac top ten would be ok. Personally not sure we will make that unless we spend big in Jan. I know it's a bit pointless stating league positions at this stage but for the top six i wouldn't be looking any further Fulham ,Leeds, WBA, Reading, Cardiff ,Brentford and a dark horse in Blackburn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)