+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dion Donohue and Jacob Mellis the new Woodgate and Bowyer?

Dion Donohue and Jacob Mellis the new Woodgate and Bowyer?

Mansfield have suspended Dion Donohue and Jacob Mellis for "an alleged serious breach of club discipline".

Police said two men, aged 25 and 28, have been released on bail following an incident that left two men hurt - one needing hospital treatment - on Friday.

When contacted by BBC Sport about the arrests, the club replied with the statement about their suspensions.

Donohue, 25, and Mellis, 28, are banned from training and playing for the League Two club while suspended.

Mellis, a former Chelsea and Southampton player, and Donohue, who joined Mansfield from Portsmouth in July, did not play in Saturday's 2-0 League Two win at Carlisle.

Mellis was completing a three-game ban following his opening-day sending-off against Newport, while Donohue was said to be recovering from injury.

Last week, police issued an appeal for witnesses after officers were called out to an incident in Mansfield town centre just after 04:00 BST on Friday, arresting two men on suspicion of assault.

What is it with pro footballers? Out at 4.OOam on a day before a match? Not saying they're guilty as it is all alleged at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Mansfield have suspended Dion Donohue and Jacob Mellis for "an alleged serious breach of club discipline".

Police said two men, aged 25 and 28, have been released on bail following an incident that left two men hurt - one needing hospital treatment - on Friday.

When contacted by BBC Sport about the arrests, the club replied with the statement about their suspensions.

Donohue, 25, and Mellis, 28, are banned from training and playing for the League Two club while suspended.

Mellis, a former Chelsea and Southampton player, and Donohue, who joined Mansfield from Portsmouth in July, did not play in Saturday's 2-0 League Two win at Carlisle.

Mellis was completing a three-game ban following his opening-day sending-off against Newport, while Donohue was said to be recovering from injury.

Last week, police issued an appeal for witnesses after officers were called out to an incident in Mansfield town centre just after 04:00 BST on Friday, arresting two men on suspicion of assault.

What is it with pro footballers? Out at 4.OOam on a day before a match? Not saying they're guilty as it is all alleged at the moment.
    Not trying to defend them here, but both couldn’t play or were unlikely to play the following day due to suspension or injury.

Either way they are likely to be another two knobheads you see too many of in town centre bars.

Grist, what you've said did cross my mind as the time they were arrested was very early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Grist, what you've said did cross my mind as the time they were arrested was very early in the morning.
    I would have thought that “curfew breaking” is more common than we think, particularly in the lower leagues where footballers are less recognisable

A couple of years ago I did the Arsenal stadium tour, on more than one noticeboard there was an instruction to players that they should keep the club informed of their movements at all times. ( no this isn’t a turd reference, though it might have applied to some of them)

I cant get over they were in Mansfield town centre at 4.00 for different reasons