+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Juventus want earlier kick-offs

OT Juventus want earlier kick-offs

Italian champions Juventus have called on Serie A to schedule more early kick-offs to help the club grow in Asia.

Juve are below last season's Premier League top six clubs in revenue and see China as a major area for growth.

The Serie A season begins on Saturday, and every game in the first two weeks starts at midnight or later in Beijing.

"We have to find the right balance between domestic and global audiences," Juventus chief revenue officer Giorgio Ricci told BBC Sport.

"It is not just about the broadcasting times, it is also about the rights distribution and who is showing the games.

"In that sense, the difference between the Premier League and Serie A is huge.

"This is a very old story and one of the more frequent reasons for fights with the league."

Italy's top clubs have long debated with the league about the need for more games to be played at earlier times to maximise their chances of exposure in China and South East Asia.

The bigger clubs do not believe the Italian system, which revolves around evening matches, helps them 'sell their brands' globally.

And while there is an acceptance that viewing habits are changing, Juventus are frustrated at the present situation, which they feel tilts the commercial market hugely in favour of Premier League clubs.

During the opening two weekends of the 2019-20 campaign, no Italian top-flight matches will kick off before 17:00 BST, because of hot weather conditions in Italy.

From the third round onwards, there will a Saturday fixture at 14:00 and a Sunday game at 11:30

All about money.

Don't worry about fans who may have to travel half of Italy for a Sunday morning kick-off.

It's been going that way for quite some time Peri.

Sky TV has ruined it for me. Last season they split the fixtures in the Championship to Tuesday and Wednesday to maximise TV revenue.
    SKY TV dictate the kick-off times as well.

My Sky contract is up in September and I’m seriously considering dumping the lot. For me they are totally dominating how all our football should be run. Money talks but has ruined our beautiful game.

Working for the High Street’s leading electrical retailer, I’ve had Sky since way back in the very early 90’s, some 27 years!

I dare not think how many thousands of pounds I’ve paid them in subscriptions, probably a small fortune. Anyway, enough is enough and although I follow football, formula 1, boxing and cricket, it’s priced itself too high now.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post

"We have to find the right balance between domestic and global audiences," Juventus chief revenue officer Giorgio Ricci told BBC Sport.

i.e. "We'll do whatever brings us the most dosh - not so long ago we only existed because of the loyalty of supporters who actually attended games. Nowadays we get more from armchair "fans" in China. So sod the traditional fans "

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    i.e. "We'll do whatever brings us the most dosh - not so long ago we only existed because of the loyalty of supporters who actually attended games. Nowadays we get more from armchair "fans" in China. So sod the traditional fans "
    I agree. Move all Millers' games to an 8pm kick off so me and CT can have a decent lie in at weekends or watch them during lunch time in the week

I read that "secret footballer" book a few years back and he said that when fans say "we pay your wages" to players that's no longer the truth as TV income far outstrips the money clubs get from selling tickets, but seeing as fans pay the Sky and BT subscriptions they still pay their wages (along with advertisers) so he's not quite as smart as he thinks he is.

Maybe if and when football fans of the top European league teams decide to boycott games that are played at silly times, it might make these teams, and the leagues they are in, think again. If big games start to get played in front of hardly any fans then clubs have a choice to make, carry on for more revenue with hardly anyone in the ground, so no atmosphere, or actually think of the supporters and play at a reasonable time. Fans may not pay the wages anymore, as has been said, but surely the players would hate to play in nearly empty stadiums in big games, it's down to whether the fans are willing to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I agree. Move all Millers' games to an 8pm kick off so me and CT can have a decent lie in at weekends or watch them during lunch time in the week
    You've already been "educated" that the likes of you and frog are nonsense posting, armchair viewing, ex-pats. You don't get to experience the roar of the pies, the smell of the crowd etc.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I read that "secret footballer" book a few years back and he said that when fans say "we pay your wages" to players that's no longer the truth as TV income far outstrips the money clubs get from selling tickets, but seeing as fans pay the Sky and BT subscriptions they still pay their wages (along with advertisers) so he's not quite as smart as he thinks he is.
    Your avatar great_fire - is that Brecks, Alan Crawford, Richard Finney and John Green in that photo? Not sure who the other players is though?

...the days before 'uniform/club tracksuits'?

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    Your avatar great_fire - is that Brecks, Alan Crawford, Richard Finney and John Green in that photo? Not sure who the other players is though?

...the days before 'uniform/club tracksuits'?
    Name:  roth_1978.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  97.5 KB

Scan from an old book, from 1978; Jimmy McGuigan, Trevor Phillips, Green, Finney, Crawford, Breckin (and Gwyther was on the far right but got cut off as he was on the other side of the page).

Basically turn up in what you want for training back then I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast