+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolton Latest

Bolton Latest

Phil Parkinson & assistant manager resign, more trouble for them

PHIL Parkinson and Steve Parkin have parted company with Bolton Wanderers.

It is understood the pair told administrators before last weekend’s defeat at Tranmere Rovers they intended to leave the club and will not be in the dugout for this Saturday’s home clash with Ipswich Town.

Speaking to The Bolton News, Parkinson confirmed he had spoken to the League Manager’s Association and added: “I felt it was the right time to go”.

Jimmy Phillips looks set to be handed the reins part-time as Wanderers begin the search for a new manager.

Goalkeeper coach Lee Butler, fitness coach Nick Allamby and physio Matt Barrass are expected to remain in position until further notice.

Parkinson was the 15th longest-serving manager in the EFL, having served for three years and 70 days since his arrival from Bradford City.

The 51-year-old has taken charge of 156 matches in league and cup, leading Wanderers to promotion from League One in his first season with a last-day victory against Peterborough United despite spending the entire campaign in a transfer embargo.

Parkinson then helped keep the club in the Championship – courtesy of another last-day victory, this time against Nottingham Forest – having not spent a single penny on transfers.

His third full season lurched from one disaster to another as pay problems, player strikes and the disintegration of Ken Anderson’s ownership led to administration in May, by which time the club had been relegated back to the third tier.

Parkinson agreed to stay on and assist the administrators over the summer but again encountered problems as a delay in selling the club forced him to field the youngest-ever Bolton line-up for the 0-0 draw against Coventry City.

The Bolton News has learned that Parkinson and his assistant manager Parkin made up their mind to leave after the takeover failed to materialise on August 8, when Laurence Bassini successfully gained a High Court injunction to stop the deal in its tracks.

Potential new owners Football Ventures did attempt to convince Parkinson and Parkin to stay but with work to be done in the transfer window the pair felt now was the right time to go.

A spokesperson for Bolton Wanderers Football Club said this evening: "The club has received the notice of resignation from manager Phil Parkinson and assistant manager Steve Parkin and the matter is being considered."

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/spor...kin-quit-club/
    Last edited by Oldstripy; 21-08-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Wanderers could be given a 14-day notice of expulsion by the EFL on TUESDAY if they fail to satisfy their demands on takeover/administration.
    https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/spor...b-sale-delays/

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Wanderers could be given a 14-day notice of expulsion by the EFL on TUESDAY if they fail to satisfy their demands on takeover/administration.
    https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/spor...b-sale-delays/

Tuesday's a big day in the history of English footie IMHO. Bury deadline and Bolton's too it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Tuesday's a big day in the history of English footie IMHO. Bury deadline and Bolton's too it seems.
    Boltons takeover deal has reportedly collapsed and they are now days away from being expelled from the league.

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    Boltons takeover deal has reportedly collapsed and they are now days away from being expelled from the league.
    No, it doesn't sound good, does it?

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/aug...LA-K9o.twitter

The size of Bolton and Burys debts always made a sale difficult as it's almost impossible for the clubs to ever generate enough money to get them to a solvent state without the new owners writing it off.

I'd like to see the EFL make it illegal for owners to loan to their clubs, it must be gifted. Straight away the risk transfers from the club to the owner and over time would probably deflate the wage spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    I'd like to see the EFL make it illegal for owners to loan to their clubs, it must be gifted. Straight away the risk transfers from the club to the owner and over time would probably deflate the wage spiral.
    I agree. It seems the only solid solution to the problem. We really were very fortunate. Let's hope Bury and Bolton can pull something out of the fire at the last minute and that the authorities then take massive action to initiate proper change.

I agree. It seems the only solid solution to the problem. We really were very fortunate. Let's hope Bury and Bolton can pull something out of the fire at the last minute and that the authorities then take massive action to initiate proper change.
    I know this won’t be popular but I hope they both go to the wall along with a few others because it’s the only way we as fans will get any change from the corrupt authorities who are destroying our sport.

Whilst it sounds fine in theory, and from a supporter's emotional viewpoint, I very much doubt there is anything that the (E)F.L or F.A can do. The real problem is lax law regarding Companies and I can't see the Conservatives or Blue Labour toughening borrowing legislation.

Appears to have got worse at Bolton with sale collapsing.

"Bolton Wanderers are on the brink of liquidation after the latest deal to buy the club collapsed.

The League One side has until 17:00 BST on Tuesday to complete the sale or offer reasons for an extension, or face expulsion from the EFL.

But administrators say the 145-year-old club is not in a position to carry on trading and "the process of closing down" could start on Wednesday.

That would lead to its liquidation and the loss of over 150 jobs."

and more at
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49470865

With one, or even two potentional expulsions from the League, it will be interesting to see how the Alliance/Conference/National League adjust their promotion play-offs. Three automatically up and teams 4th-9th for the last spot?

Every cloud...
    Last edited by norsinfoggy; 26-08-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: shocking maths!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast