+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tin-pot League?

Personally I thought this was a decent post by the OP, albeit a little overly verbose.....notes to the OP.....firstly throw in a few jokes (***ual ones hold their attention span the best).....controversy works (calling Elitus a gimp, or Navy a homo at some point usually works!), threaten to meet someone outside the TBI for a bout of fisticuffs...guaranteed to get them diverted from Love Island.

You have to remember, the average IQ of a MAD poster is fractionally above that of a chi-chak....I am here purely in an observational capacity btw.

Non-league football was no doubt a bit of a culture shock 10 or 20 years ago, when most teams were part time, but today it is basically 'League 3'. Dropping from L2 to the NL is just like dropping from L1 to L2 - smaller teams, lower gates, and a lower quality of football. I don't see it as any different to any other relegation, apart from the obvious organisational differences, e.g. having to qualify for the FA cup.

Loads of other fans have been quick with the scaremongering, but from what I've seen it's just what you'd expect from the fifth tier of English football. The idea of being 'shocked' by how few away fans come to the Lane or how small some of the stadia seems a bit naive.

Obviously I want us to get back into the league as soon as possible, but I'm enjoying it (from afar) so far. I look forward to every game, just as I always did, and I'm enjoying finding out about teams we've never played against before. And besides, after the summer we had, any football is something to be grateful for.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 22-08-2019 at 05:12 AM.

Non league isn't as bad as league clubs think but it's still something not to get used to, I'm not sure I can handle many more seasons playing Harrogate Town and Ebbsfleet, the sooner we get out of here the better. Also who thinks it's played in ploughed fields by 22 fat men? No one. And McParland was probably a good coach but severely underachieved with the team he had and there's no argument to say he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Is chrolisised a cheap version of ouzo?
    What a brilliant word, if only I knew what it meant.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Personally I thought this was a decent post by the OP, albeit a little overly verbose.....notes to the OP.....firstly throw in a few jokes (***ual ones hold their attention span the best).....controversy works (calling Elitus a gimp, or Navy a homo at some point usually works!), threaten to meet someone outside the TBI for a bout of fisticuffs...guaranteed to get them diverted from Love Island.

You have to remember, the average IQ of a MAD poster is fractionally above that of a chi-chak....I am here purely in an observational capacity btw.
    😂 Thanks Tarkers, glad you're back!

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Non-league football was no doubt a bit of a culture shock 10 or 20 years ago, when most teams were part time, but today it is basically 'League 3'. Dropping from L2 to the NL is just like dropping from L1 to L2 - smaller teams, lower gates, and a lower quality of football. I don't see it as any different to any other relegation, apart from the obvious organisational differences, e.g. having to qualify for the FA cup.

Loads of other fans have been quick with the scaremongering, but from what I've seen it's just what you'd expect from the fifth tier of English football. The idea of being 'shocked' by how few away fans come to the Lane or how small some of the stadia seems a bit naive.

Obviously I want us to get back into the league as soon as possible, but I'm enjoying it (from afar) so far. I look forward to every game, just as I always did, and I'm enjoying finding out about teams we've never played against before. And besides, after the summer we had, any football is something to be grateful for.
    I think a lot of the stories about how hard it is in the NL are because there are only two promotion spots, so you have to either be the best team in the league or good one(top 7) that has the luck in the playoffs to get out.
    Quite often there are 2 teams who are way clear of the pack and the one that fails to take the title doesn't make it through the playoffs and so has to do it all over again for another year.

there have been seasons where teams on 90-98 points havent made it up
    Last edited by bridpie78; 22-08-2019 at 07:44 AM.

How well promoted teams often do in League 2 tells you there’s not much if any difference between the top half of the NL and the bottom half of League 2.

However if we don’t get 6 points at the weekend and a healthy boost to the GD Ardley should be sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    I think a lot of the stories about how hard it is in the NL are because there are only two promotion spots, so you have to either be the best team in the league or good one(top 7) that has the luck in the playoffs to get out.
    Quite often there are 2 teams who are way clear of the pack and the one that fails to take the title doesn't make it through the playoffs and so has to do it all over again for another year.

there have been seasons where teams on 90-98 points havent made it up
    True. That's the only real nightmare aspect of this league. You have to be consistently great to win any division, so playoffs actually look like the most likely option for going up - and that's saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    'your'

Skitt's Law strikes again!

Skitt's law: "Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself." Named after Skitt, a contributor to alt.usage.english on Usenet

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    And throughout our history right from the beginning if a new lower league is formed we don't wait long to try it out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast