+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hs2.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    That's an 'interesting' take on what Merkel said 59, presumably the lefty version of events, but I wouldn't know, I haven't read the Guardian or BBC on it yet. What seemed most significant to me, in my innocence, is that after months and months of the EU saying that the WA would not be re-negotiated under any circumstances, Merkel seemed to suggest that, if Boris had any bright ideas, perhaps it could. The first sign of any chink in the EU armour, the first sign of movement on the WA. Once they start to believe we ARE leaving on October 31st, they will come to their senses and start to compromise said Boris, and well, well, they are.
    Now Macron also says that the WA that could not be amended, can be amended after all. Amazing what a new PM can do, one that says what he means and means what he says. Just a shame that Boris wasn't running this show from the beginning, it would all have been done and dusted now, instead he has to go around clearing up the mess our Remain politicians and civil servants have left us in.

Like army88 I have long held the opinion that people not working and receiving benefits should do something, if they are physically able, to benefit the community in which they live.It is fundamentally wrong to expect something for nothing.That money is only there through the toil of the tax-payer who works to keep them in the manner to which they have become accustomed.I also agree that a food voucher system should be brought in with immediate effect.

I speak having worked in a primary school for many years where we had children arriving at school in the morning not having eaten since the previous teatime. Knowing several generations of these families over the years and listening to children's tales around the DT (Design Tech) table it became very clear that monies were not being spent where they should be. i.e the nourishment and well-being of the children. Satellite TV, the latest mobile phone, DVD players in bedrooms etc etc.
    Those children not having any PE kit (cost of a pair of shorts and black pumps £5) having to borrow. Members of staff shelling out from their own pockets for these things. I've seen members of staff at times reduced to tears at the neglect of some of these children.
    While this only applied to a minority it went on year after year, generation after generation of the same families never having worked and contributed to the 'big pot'.They certainly know how to play the system.
    I'm not politically-minded. I read the posts from you guys and regardless of your political persuasion I'm positive we all agree that the world is in a terrible mess regardless of all the technology and modern inventions etc etc. The 'me' culture we now find in every aspect of daily life, is invading every corner of our existance at a pace. Can't imagine what the world will be like in another 20 years.

Hopefully I'll have moved on to better things by then!! (Rant over)

Quote Originally Posted by frantastic51 View Post
    Like army88 I have long held the opinion that people not working and receiving benefits should do something, if they are physically able, to benefit the community in which they live.It is fundamentally wrong to expect something for nothing.That money is only there through the toil of the tax-payer who works to keep them in the manner to which they have become accustomed.I also agree that a food voucher system should be brought in with immediate effect.

I speak having worked in a primary school for many years where we had children arriving at school in the morning not having eaten since the previous teatime. Knowing several generations of these families over the years and listening to children's tales around the DT (Design Tech) table it became very clear that monies were not being spent where they should be. i.e the nourishment and well-being of the children. Satellite TV, the latest mobile phone, DVD players in bedrooms etc etc.
    Those children not having any PE kit (cost of a pair of shorts and black pumps £5) having to borrow. Members of staff shelling out from their own pockets for these things. I've seen members of staff at times reduced to tears at the neglect of some of these children.
    While this only applied to a minority it went on year after year, generation after generation of the same families never having worked and contributed to the 'big pot'.They certainly know how to play the system.
    I'm not politically-minded. I read the posts from you guys and regardless of your political persuasion I'm positive we all agree that the world is in a terrible mess regardless of all the technology and modern inventions etc etc. The 'me' culture we now find in every aspect of daily life, is invading every corner of our existance at a pace. Can't imagine what the world will be like in another 20 years.

The big problem is Fran when Margaret Thatcher single-handedly ruined the manufacturing base of this country, she disposed of a couple of million jobs which we have never got back.

Since then two whole generations have no idea what a honest day's work is and the Protestant work ethic on which this country was built has evaporated into the ether.

Instead of spending billions on nuclear weapons and the aforementioned HS2, surely we should start rebuilding the very fabric of our nation and create proper jobs with proper wages?

I am not having a "Grumpy Old Man" rant, but the sense of entitlement this current generation have, drives me insane!

Quote Originally Posted by frantastic51 View Post

Not a rant at all Fran, a perfectly sensible, decent post from someone with their both feet firmly planted on the ground. Just a pity not many of our elected MPs see it the same way. Mrs S spent most of her career in Nursery education Fran, she would confirm your experiences many times over. Early in her career she gave a pair of our son's shoes that he'd quickly grown out of, to a young lad who had holes in his. His dad came in the following morning and pinned her to the wall, she never made that mistake again.

HS = High speed....old style - France had theirs in 1981 - Germany theirs in '85....but that was then - here were talking - 2026-2033....so whats high speed today and what will it be in the near future....with tech redifining Work - how many occupations will be computerized - automated/ran by robots ?....and with more and more humans working from home through their laptops - who'll need to save x minutes on some slow Train ? - So whats this all for - and who's it for - other than making "some" people extremely wealthy - and more tax raids of course.

… and who can possibly afford to pay £200.00 + to go one way from London to Manchester to save ten minutes? By the time it's built we will all have hovercars!

Am I being naive ? Please could someone, anyone, explain to me the benifits to people seeking actual employment, a better standard of living, or infact, any positives at all, moving around ?
    We live on a, comparatively, small island. Why all this fuss about travelling a short distance ?
    I,whilst living in China, had to travel from Beijing to Wuxi, weekly, by by car (!) and it took about 12 hours.
    Oh, well, I suppose I am being naive.....afterall, it is a hardship sitting on a train for a few hours, beuffet (if required) whist ambling through th British contryside

Wasn't HS2 the brain child of a Labour government. Why would we want them back in they are just as bad as the numpties we currently have in power.

Quote Originally Posted by whittyclaretandblue View Post
    Wasn't HS2 the brain child of a Labour government. Why would we want them back in they are just as bad as the numpties we currently have in power.
    That is exactly right Whitty,

Plus we’ll have nothing except more debt under a labour government

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    That is exactly right Whitty,

Plus we’ll have nothing except more debt under a labour government
    We have had almost ten years of prevarication with HS2 under a Tory government, they could have stopped it in its tracks at inception, they could have stopped it in its tracks anytime since, but let's blame Labour instead? It was a foolish vanity project from the get go and it will be stopped because of "people pressure" not politicians.

Meanwhile "social housing" under the Tories just hits a new nadir...

Attachment 13672

210,000 homeless children are now living in the UK thanks to this phucking eejit...

Attachment 13673

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)