+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midfield Dilemma for Ardley

Midfield Dilemma for Ardley

There's naturally going to be some rotation this weekend because of 2 games in 3 days.

4-4-2 looks like it's working better than the other formations we've tried. Booty looks like he's better as a centre mid rather than on the left.

What is our best midfield? It's hard to leave out O'Brien, plus if McCrory is at LB then Bakayogo can (and has) played LM.

Boldewijn Booty Rose/O'Brien Bakayogo

Osbourne Booty Rose/O'Brien Boldewijn

Ardley will obviously pick Doyle for the 1st game, but doubt he'll have the legs to get involved with Chorley.

It's tough this one, cos I don't think you can leave out Booty because he's the only creative CM , plus has a good delivery for free kicks and corners. Doyle O'Brien and Rose too similar, so its 1 from those 3 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    There's naturally going to be some rotation this weekend because of 2 games in 3 days.

4-4-2 looks like it's working better than the other formations we've tried. Booty looks like he's better as a centre mid rather than on the left.

What is our best midfield? It's hard to leave out O'Brien, plus if McCrory is at LB then Bakayogo can (and has) played LM.

Boldewijn Booty Rose/O'Brien Bakayogo

Osbourne Booty Rose/O'Brien Boldewijn

Ardley will obviously pick Doyle for the 1st game, but doubt he'll have the legs to get involved with Chorley.

It's tough this one, cos I don't think you can leave out Booty because he's the only creative CM , plus has a good delivery for free kicks and corners. Doyle O'Brien and Rose too similar, so its 1 from those 3 for me.
    Seems a nice problem to have considering all the ones we've had recently, hope he gets it right over the weekend and picks up all 6 points, i think by now we can leave behind excuses about gelling and fitness and we really ought to be able to get some points on the board against the bottom two teams.
    i'm looking forward to the yeovil game, i think that will be where we can see how this team and manager measures up against last seasons no hopers.

Yeah, it's a nice dilemma to have after the slim pickings at the start of the season...but I don't think it's too difficult a job. I think he will stick with the 4-3-3 from Sunday which worked well, especially in the first half, and also allows him to use three of the midfielders you mentioned.

Something like this:

Rose/O'Brien. Doyle. Booty

Then for the next game:

Rose. O'Brien. Booty

It's good that we have strong options to use various formations now.

Assuming all stay fit and Booty carries on with his good start, I can see Rose eventually being the one to make way.
    I’m glad Ardley has gone with a back 4 for the last couple of games.
    I think the success of this season hinges on our back line.

Doyle and JOB will always be a shoe in in the middle if fit and available. Rose could drop back to RB. Booty has to stay out left because what he lacks in pace he more than makes up for with a wand of a left foot. This does mean of course that Enzio will have to play right mid but he probably prefers to play on the left so he can do his party piece of cutting in from the left and shooting with his right foot.

Of course with two games in three days the likelihood of Doyle and JOB both managing to play a full 90 mins in both games is unlikely so like others have said, good to have options for once. Whether they are decent options still remains to be seen!

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Assuming all stay fit and Booty carries on with his good start, I can see Rose eventually being the one to make way.
    I’m glad Ardley has gone with a back 4 for the last couple of games.
    I think the success of this season hinges on our back line.
    Rose won't make way! He's our best player! We need to build a young, hungry team around him.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Rose won't make way! He's our best player! We need to build a young, hungry team around him.
    I disagree, I wouldn't even put him in our top three best player to be honest. His performances this season, apart from sunday v Wrexham, have been bad to average at best. He is promising but as yet he isn't someone I think is capable of taking the game by the scruff of the neck and making something happen like OB and Doyle are.

I've said it already but without Doyle next to him to control the game Mitch Rose looks lost most of the time and decidedly average.

Ardley hailed Rose as the driving force in midfield in yesterday's Post and Booty should be a shoe in (excuse the pun) so it is likely to be O'Brien or Doyle for the other spot.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    Ardley hailed Rose as the driving force in midfield in yesterday's Post and Booty should be a shoe in (excuse the pun) so it is likely to be O'Brien or Doyle for the other spot.
    Yeah I'd imagine that Booty and Rose may play in both games over the weekend and there will be some degree of rotation between Doyle/O'Brien.

We may see something similar to last Sunday where JOB either start's or plays for an hour or comes on in replacement for Doyle/Booty?

It's a nice position to be in for the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    i'm looking forward to the yeovil game, i think that will be where we can see how this team and manager measures up against last seasons no hopers.
    Who you calling no-hopers bridpie?

Surely it was us who were the no-hopers?

Yeovil beat us 4-0 at the Lane and 2-0 on their pitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast