+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Raddy...

... AV 1 - NC 0 ... it was the first/only ? time MOTD was previewed at 8.30 that evening. It showed a Jon Cozens left wing cross being headed against the post by Tony Hately. Notts wore red socks that day, borrowed from Villa, as our socks would have clashed with their white socks. Hand shakes and apologies after the match from embarrassed Villa fans. Best game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... AV 1 - NC 0 ... it was the first/only ? time MOTD was previewed at 8.30 that evening. It showed a Jon Cozens left wing cross being headed against the post by Tony Hately. Notts wore red socks that day, borrowed from Villa, as our socks would have clashed with their white socks. Hand shakes and apologies after the match from embarrassed Villa fans. Best game ever.
    The win at Villa Park on the opening day of the 1981/82 season, Villa being the previous season’s champions and Notts playing their first game in the top flight for over 50 years, is the game I tend to remember rather than the 1971/72 0-1 defeat against Villa. I was at both, though and how well Notts played and were so unlucky to lose that game. We had numerous shots cleared of the line, a Masson penalty saved, and Hateley and Needham hit the woodwork. According to upthemaggies website, we took 5,000 fans to the that game.

Back to Raddy. I noticed this in his page on Wiki. “Sirrel took Avramović under his personal care, and would later regard the player as one of his best players. At the beginning of the player's career at Notts County, there was a social function at which Avramović went around and bought all his new teammates a drink as a friendly gesture. A local reporter saw this and wrote a newspaper article about Avramović being a "boozer" and a "big-time-Charlie". The next time that same reporter went to Meadow Lane, Sirrel physically caught hold of him and had him thrown off the premises and banned from the ground. The Evening Post had to give the reporter the Nottingham Forest job whilst the City Ground reporter switched over to Notts County.”

Jimmy and Raddy, two Notts legends.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Back to Raddy. I noticed this in his page on Wiki. “Sirrel took Avramović under his personal care, and would later regard the player as one of his best players. At the beginning of the player's career at Notts County, there was a social function at which Avramović went around and bought all his new teammates a drink as a friendly gesture. A local reporter saw this and wrote a newspaper article about Avramović being a "boozer" and a "big-time-Charlie". The next time that same reporter went to Meadow Lane, Sirrel physically caught hold of him and had him thrown off the premises and banned from the ground. The Evening Post had to give the reporter the Nottingham Forest job whilst the City Ground reporter switched over to Notts County.”

Jimmy and Raddy, two Notts legends.
    Exactly right as per the story that Jimmy told me when I had the priviledge of spending some time with him. He didn't hide his disgust either, all those years later. He also said that when Raddy first came over he stayed in the Sirrel's home for a time whilst he got himself settled.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123