+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Newport up next.

Newport up next.

With a run of 14 games unbeaten and three draws in the last 4, will Newport be the team to stop us in our tracks? Walsall were pretty solid at the back but we managed to get through. Will we be strong enough to break down Newport. Not forgetting that they've got a couple of decent strikers.
    For ourselves, who's going to play left back if Harry doesn't make it?. I'm glad we've got a spare striker but it's the full-back are we need cover for, particularly on the left side.
    Will DA persist with Powell who is very good at taking on full-backs (which Charlie seems to have been told not to do) even though he (and others) don't finish or benefit from his runs? Would you give Porter a rest and let the new guy have a go? What do you think?

"Persist with Powell" sounds a bit derogatory. And yes, I think he will play.
    I would start with Porter, but at some point introduce the new guy.
    Full back....no idea.

Sounds like Pixie's not too bad - a bang on the hip. (DA "dodged a bit of a bullet there.")

Anene still awaiting international clearance to be in match squad tomorrow - though Lewis Reilly's been allowed out on loan.

Not meant to be derogatory. But then again, Powell is suffering from a virus. If Powell is not fit do we go for the new guy or Dale? Plus we have, including what's already gone, 5 weeks of Saturday and Tuesday. So will Porter be rested anytime? ( Or Green, or...?)

None of them today - suspect Greeny might not start v Villa, as at Boro. We'll see .......

Pixie is out though, despite brave words - Hunt and Lancashire both play. Thank goodness their injury and suspension are over.

DA cost us 3 points today. Searing heat. 80% possession but not creating much re goal chances and he doesn't make any subs when we have just signed a big striker who can score goals and we have one of our best players sitting on the bench. ie Ainley. Over a dozen corners with the very same player taking them and none creating anything useful. What do they do in practice? Anyway its not fair on players like Ainley who was encouraged by DA to sign a contract extension despite having offers to move on and maybe now he wished he had. In that sort of heat they must use subs as indeed they did with their three. I suspect DA was going for a point and not three. It was fairly obvious what would happen imv. What IS the point of having subs? He must have read the DG manual!
    Last edited by MikeSB; 24-08-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    DA cost us 3 points today. Searing heat. 80% possession but not creating much re goal chances and he doesn't make any subs when we have just signed a big striker who can score goals and we have one of our best players sitting on the bench. ie Ainley. Over a dozen corners with the very same player taking them and none creating anything useful. What do they do in practice? Anyway its not fair on players like Ainley who was encouraged by DA to sign a contract extension despite having offers to move on and maybe now he wished he had. In that sort of heat they must use subs as indeed they did with their three. I suspect DA was going for a point and not three. It was fairly obvious what would happen imv. What IS the point of having subs? He must have read the DG manual!
    Agree 2 Managers no brain between them,anyone could see this coming apart from the 2 Dummies

Always good to read negative comments from those that have absolutely nothing to say when we’re winning.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Always good to read negative comments from those that have absolutely nothing to say when we’re winning.
    And who almost certainly didn't go to Newport, and in the case of Mike, does he even attend home games? Itwasin, who cares what he does?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    I have to agree that not making any subs in the heat is not wise although having watched extended highlights we still looked fitter than Newport despite their 3 subs. Just caught out trying to win it in the 92nd minute. Kudos to the team for trying to win it but better game management should have been employed. They set up to stop us playing and they did. I think he may have been reading the DG manual...lack of subs aside, DG would push for a win if we were drawing which sometimes backfired. But lets be honest, we are better when we play on the front foot and try to attack rather than sitting back trying to absorb a constant barrage of long balls...not a lot of height in the team either. Mbulu is still with us and with 2nd Sept just round the corner I can see us giving him a 1 year deal to add some much needed height to the team.

I think we may see the same team that started v Middlesborough tonight so Ainley, Dale and Richards returning. Makes sense after their performance at the Riverside. Hopefully Pixie will be back...Hunt better at CB due to lack of pace and also can't be expected to be overlapping Kirky (although he managed a few at Newport!). Pixie's crossing is paramount for bringing Porter into the game and he is improving defensively all the time.