+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The 3rd Ashes Test

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I listen to the experts.

Reports from that match were that he’d come through it well and if I remember correctly he’d taken at least a couple of wickets.

I’m nearly 58 and since Anderson’s age I’ve suffered with calf strains a lot so I can give you “chapter and verse” on them.

I’ve just been forced into a two week rest period due to a nasty little strain on my left one a few weeks back that wasn’t improving with a lighter work load.

I went out today and did my normal 4 1/2 miles at a careful and reduced pace because to do otherwise is sheer stupidity.

I’m a million miles away from an elite trainer like Anderson but I can assure you of this.

1/ As I gradually build this up over the next two weeks I’ll be back to my rather sad best.

2/ In 10 days from now Anderson would have Leicester stiffs wondering where their next run was coming from and if selected......he’ll be making the Aussies squirm.

By 4th September it’ll be five weeks since his slight calf strain and with world class rehab and a top class athlete knowing his own body I think we can all feel comfortable that if Anderson is on the pitch he’ll do the business.

If not him I hope Curran gets the call because Woakes is as much use as my a r s e at present.
    Try listening to what the experts say regarding Woakes.

A pity you are not as nice a man as you think Jimmy Anderson is with your disrespect of Leicestershire young cricketers.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    The point that I was trying to make Dub is that people are very quick to criticise if things go wrong. Yes, we have a lot to improve upon in all areas but we are still better than most test teams and, of course, World Champions at one day cricket.
    I do see the point you are making and you can only beat the team you are playing against. I agree with that. I guess my point is or could be the same with a lot of modern sports....Is it better? The W. Indies are quite abysmal as a test nation today compared to 20 years a go. India is most likely the same...Pakistan is definitely gone backwards as I would suggest is N Zealand.Sri Lanka are ok. Australia are not as powerful as they once were...South Africa are decent but cant really be compared as they were out of international cricket for so long.
    That leaves the likes of Bangladesh,Zimbabwe, and if you want Ireland. Test cricket has gone backwards in its development...no question. There are too many versions of the game, which is where the money is. (Here we go again)
    G Gooch could carry as could Tendulkar and many more because they had a temperament that suited a game that went on for 5 days. Not so today, as the modern player has not got the skill set. See how many games finished well within the allotted time...The one day hitter saves the day....and I am fine with that....but cricket isn't a better game for that....

I really like that the Ashes thread is so popular and so many contributions on it...

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    Try listening to what the experts say regarding Woakes.

A pity you are not as nice a man as you think Jimmy Anderson is with your disrespect of Leicestershire young cricketers.
    Don’t try to paint me in a certain way because I picked apart what you said about our greatest ever bowler.

Good luck to your nephew but if he’s going to make it into regular first class cricket I doubt he’ll be “bigging up” his “four through the covers” of Jimmy in a first run out after injury stint!

As for Woakes I do listen and I watch with my own two eyes.

Botham,Warne,Ramprakash,Willis,Gower and others ALL pointed out in the last two days that Root obviously has lost trust in him.

He’s absolutely no use abroad as his figures clearly show and his usual Lords heroics were miles off in the last test.

He’s bowled just 22 overs at poor economy with just 2 for 85 in conditions made for him in the first innings and he batted twice like a number 11.

I’d be interested to know which “experts” you were listening to?

Don’t try to paint me in a certain way because I picked apart what you said about our greatest ever bowler.

Good luck to your nephew but if he’s going to make it into regular first class cricket I doubt he’ll be “bigging up” his “four through the covers” of Jimmy in a first run out after injury stint!

As for Woakes I do listen and I watch with my own two eyes.

Botham,Warne,Ramprakash,Willis,Gower and others ALL pointed out in the last two days that Root obviously has lost trust in him.

He’s absolutely no use abroad as his figures clearly show and his usual Lords heroics were miles off in the last test.

He’s bowled just 22 overs at poor economy with just 2 for 85 in conditions made for him in the first innings and he batted twice like a number 11.

I’d be interested to know which “experts” you were listening to?
    Read again post 32 and you will see you have turned a harmless comment regarding the wellbeing of Jimmy Anderson into something miles away from the first intent.

Paint you in a different way? the only one doing that is you.

And as for 'bigging it up' you are talking rubbish as I clearly said Jimmy was 'gentle' in his spell, which point you picked up on.

It seems if it's not about mickd you don't want to know.

At which point I will leave this board with so many self centred wanchors it's really no pleasure.

Read again post 32 and you will see you have turned a harmless comment regarding the wellbeing of Jimmy Anderson into something miles away from the first intent.

Paint you in a different way? the only one doing that is you.

And as for 'bigging it up' you are talking rubbish as I clearly said Jimmy was 'gentle' in his spell, which point you picked up on.

It seems if it's not about mickd you don't want to know.

At which point I will leave this board with so many self centred wanchors it's really no pleasure.
    Bye then.

And crumbs from loads of humble pie, it's funny how most posters change midstream isn't it.
    And you’re happy to have digs at people like me in quotes like this but that’s okay.

In my reply to your “critique” of our greatest ever bowler being put away by your relative and my follow ups I was completely factual.

You still haven’t told us which “experts” were eulogising about Woakes GLM?

As for “disrespecting” Leicestershire’s seconds.....you’re old enough to understand the term “stiffs” so don’t go acting like a Snowflake FFS.

To change the focus of this thread, if you remember GLM I said that I would have a word with my mate who scores for Leicester 2's about your grandson's dismissal v. Lancs. Unfortunately, due to his scoring commitments I haven't seen him for quite a while, in fact he
    was the back up scorer for England in the Edgbaston Test.
    However, I know a little about your grandson as he plays alongside Sam Bates, the wicket keeper, for Leicester 2's. I played alongside Sam's dad, who himself was an excellent 'keeper and his grandad an excellent bowler. That shows my age! I understand that your grandson now plays for Loughborough Town in the Leicestershire and Rutland Premier League. The club that I played for, Newtown Linford, will gain promotion to the Premier League next season and therefore will be playing Loughborough Town so perhaps we will be able to meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    I do see the point you are making and you can only beat the team you are playing against. I agree with that. I guess my point is or could be the same with a lot of modern sports....Is it better? The W. Indies are quite abysmal as a test nation today compared to 20 years a go. India is most likely the same...Pakistan is definitely gone backwards as I would suggest is N Zealand.Sri Lanka are ok. Australia are not as powerful as they once were...South Africa are decent but cant really be compared as they were out of international cricket for so long.
    That leaves the likes of Bangladesh,Zimbabwe, and if you want Ireland. Test cricket has gone backwards in its development...no question. There are too many versions of the game, which is where the money is. (Here we go again)
    G Gooch could carry as could Tendulkar and many more because they had a temperament that suited a game that went on for 5 days. Not so today, as the modern player has not got the skill set. See how many games finished well within the allotted time...The one day hitter saves the day....and I am fine with that....but cricket isn't a better game for that....

Dubs as with any sport surely you can not compare the old days to now, be it football, cricket, cycling or whatever.

The old game was slow, based on technique, not giving your wicket away, of not losing. I loved it. Watching it was like fishing, slow, relaxing and if the weather was great you could even go to sleep for a bit! Crowds were respectful, the game was beautiful in a sedate and very English way! Oh the sound of leather on ball (not balls that’s just the public school boys)!

Kids nowadays would have hated it.

Yes technique has gone but in its place has come entertainment, noisy crowds, increases in runs per over, less drawn games, fitter athletic fielders, great catches, different formats so you can catch a game after work if you want, even their equivalent of VAR is great.

Yes it is different, better for some but give me Wisden and a deckchair in the sun and no one within 30 yards of me so that I can watch the technique any day.

If not him I hope Curran gets the call because Woakes is as much use as my a r s e at present.
    Very handy thing, an arse. You would be in trouble without one!
    Top 6 could all be replaced...but by who?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)