+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3rd Ashes Test

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    If Stokes doesn’t win Sport Personality Of The Year I’ll wear my wife’s knickers to a match!
    With suspenders and fishnet stockings?

At 136-2 I was seriously p e e d off,it should never have got to that........if we’d been more disciplined they’d have struggled to get 120.

These Ashes depend on Friday’s first innings for us I believe.

I don’t expect we’ll get more than 230-250 but if we could get 300-350 I think we’d not only win this match but also win the series.

Just as well for them that Anderson has been missing because with him and Archer and Broad we would’ve destroyed them.
    Doubt if Jimmy will play Test Cricket this year Mick, my grandson played against him in a second eleven 3 day match he bowled eleven overs but didn't finish the match,grandson put him away for a four through extra cover, but have to say Jimmy looked gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    And crumbs from loads of humble pie, it's funny how most posters change midstream isn't it.
    Murph what price could you have got on England to win ?

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Can't see the logic there Dub. We are 'shyte, rubbish, worse batting team' etc yet we beat the Aussies. What does that make them I ask?
    I would think there is a systemic problem in English cricket that really cant be papered over by one good days batting in one test.
    It was exciting to watch....no question about that....but I would not think too many involved in the game think it is in a good place...I am talking test now...not the other versions of the game.
    But just my view of it...

Doubt if Jimmy will play Test Cricket this year Mick, my grandson played against him in a second eleven 3 day match he bowled eleven overs but didn't finish the match,grandson put him away for a four through extra cover, but have to say Jimmy looked gentle.
    Yeah......I’m sure our greatest ever bowler was cranking it up to 85mph against an age group team of ****agers!

I’d suggest it shows a level of respect from the great man in not making kids look like a bunch of t w a t s and ruining their confidence and that’s the class sort of guy Jimmy is!

Would you rather he run in at full tilt?

We all know he doesn’t need to bowl fast GLM.......at 78-82mph he’s still pretty much unplayable so describing him as “gentle” is a strange choice of words as he hasn’t been “fast” for more than five years now.

Yeah......I’m sure our greatest ever bowler was cranking it up to 85mph against an age group team of ****agers!

I’d suggest it shows a level of respect from the great man in not making kids look like a bunch of t w a t s and ruining their confidence and that’s the class sort of guy Jimmy is!

Would you rather he run in at full tilt?

We all know he doesn’t need to bowl fast GLM.......at 78-82mph he’s still pretty much unplayable so describing him as “gentle” is a strange choice of words as he hasn’t been “fast” for more than five years now.
    Well he was there to try and prove his fitness which he didn't by not finishing the match, maybe the choice of gentle was a bad choice but preferable to slating him.

As for 'kids' can I say that the Lancashire side had 7 or 8 first team squad players, two or three of them have played for England and the scores over the three days were Leicestershire 2s 224 and 204/8 dec. The Lancashire 2s replies were 134 and 132/7. Match drawn but a hell of a moral victory for Leicestershire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    I would think there is a systemic problem in English cricket that really cant be papered over by one good days batting in one test.
    It was exciting to watch....no question about that....but I would not think too many involved in the game think it is in a good place...I am talking test now...not the other versions of the game.
    But just my view of it...
    The point that I was trying to make Dub is that people are very quick to criticise if things go wrong. Yes, we have a lot to improve upon in all areas but we are still better than most test teams and, of course, World Champions at one day cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny on the spot 1 View Post
    Murph what price could you have got on England to win ?
    I think a lot more than the 500/1 that Lillee and Thompson got in Bob Willis's match. Also at Headingly.

Well he was there to try and prove his fitness which he didn't by not finishing the match, maybe the choice of gentle was a bad choice but preferable to slating him.

As for 'kids' can I say that the Lancashire side had 7 or 8 first team squad players, two or three of them have played for England and the scores over the three days were Leicestershire 2s 224 and 204/8 dec. The Lancashire 2s replies were 134 and 132/7. Match drawn but a hell of a moral victory for Leicestershire.
    I listen to the experts.

Reports from that match were that he’d come through it well and if I remember correctly he’d taken at least a couple of wickets.

I’m nearly 58 and since Anderson’s age I’ve suffered with calf strains a lot so I can give you “chapter and verse” on them.

I’ve just been forced into a two week rest period due to a nasty little strain on my left one a few weeks back that wasn’t improving with a lighter work load.

I went out today and did my normal 4 1/2 miles at a careful and reduced pace because to do otherwise is sheer stupidity.

I’m a million miles away from an elite trainer like Anderson but I can assure you of this.

1/ As I gradually build this up over the next two weeks I’ll be back to my rather sad best.

2/ In 10 days from now Anderson would have Leicester stiffs wondering where their next run was coming from and if selected......he’ll be making the Aussies squirm.

By 4th September it’ll be five weeks since his slight calf strain and with world class rehab and a top class athlete knowing his own body I think we can all feel comfortable that if Anderson is on the pitch he’ll do the business.

If not him I hope Curran gets the call because Woakes is as much use as my a r s e at present.

I think a lot more than the 500/1 that Lillee and Thompson got in Bob Willis's match. Also at Headingly.
    It was Lillee and Rod Marsh.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)