+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95 years ago today

95 years ago today

Name:  AlexJackson.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  5.9 KB

On this day, 95 years ago, Alex Jackson made his debut for the Dons at the age of 19.

One of the "Wembley Wizards" Jackson was a winger with a rare talent, never before had the Aberdeen support seen.

Jackson was plucked from the obscurity of America for the princely sum of £100, by former Don Jock Hume, who recommended him to Aberdeen and gained his first cap in the same year at the age of 19.

Previously he had played for Dumbarton, who had reportedly bought him in 1922 for the pre-inflation price of a football.

After only one season, he was snapped up by Huddersfield before he was twenty for a record £5,000 fee in early May 1925, after only one superb season at Pittodrie.

At the time of his move, the chairman stated at the club AGM that Alex had been driven away by adverse criticism of his play by the press and supporters. [Ref: Press & Journal, 4th July 1925]

Later moved to Chelsea for a fee of £8,500 and moved to France to play for Nice.

Tragically died in a road accident in 1946 while serving with the Army in Egypt.

Aberdeen ruined him. He was never the same player after he left the Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by StandfreeFM View Post
    Aberdeen ruined him. He was never the same player after he left the Sons.
    There was a period in America in between.
    I’m sure he couldn’t wait to get out of Dumbarton

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    There was a period in America in between.
    I’m sure he couldn’t wait to get out of Dumbarton
    In fact legend has it he flew to America upon a swans back. The swan actually took off from the top of that big stone the locals are so mystified by.

Some amount of Central Belters we have had. The club owes the area so much to the area.

Where did he come on the whos at fault thread that season

Quote Originally Posted by Devanha Red View Post
    In fact legend has it he flew to America upon a swans back. The swan actually took off from the top of that big stone the locals are so mystified by.
    There's certainly plausibility he flew in a swan.
    The Supermarine Swan was a 1920's amphibious aircraft.
    I'm not an aeronautical engineer, so not sure what distances could have achieved back then, but hey-ho.

Talking about aeronautical engineers, what the hell was R.J.Mitchell (later involved in the development of the spitfire)thinking about designing a plane called the swan.
    Didn't he know swan's supposedly can't fly.

Name:  swan.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  14.3 KB

There’s a few of you repeating this ludicrous claim so you’re all obviously mistaking the Mute Swan (Cygnus Olor) & the Barnacle Goose (Branta leucopsis)

Let me ask you this. Have any of you saw a swan up a tree or on a roof? Anyone ever been shat on by a swan?

I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    There’s a few of you repeating this ludicrous claim so you’re all obviously mistaking the Mute Swan (Cygnus Olor) & the Barnacle Goose (Branta leucopsis)

Let me ask you this. Have any of you saw a swan up a tree or on a roof? Anyone ever been shat on by a swan?

I think not.
    Was Bjork definitely a swan?

Sorry it's went off topic again...

Happy Birthday Alex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast