+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: They were the future once.

They were the future once.

Latest moves for two young lads I really though might make it with us, but they never did. Into the Gawthorpe Black Hole they went, just like all the rest of them.

Alex Ray Harvey, Guiseley to Stafford Rangers.
    Jason Gilchrist, Southport to South Shields.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Latest moves for two young lads I really though might make it with us, but they never did. Into the Gawthorpe Black Hole they went, just like all the rest of them.

Alex Ray Harvey, Guiseley to Stafford Rangers.
    Jason Gilchrist, Southport to South Shields.
    Some make the big time, but an enormous amount of young talent just evaporates into the ether and it's not a phenomenon exclusive to Burnley sinkov.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Some make the big time, but an enormous amount of young talent just evaporates into the ether and it's not a phenomenon exclusive to Burnley sinkov.
    Ten years of finding and developing young talent BT and, although I'm possibly missing someone, all I can think of is Tom Anderson and Alex Macdonald pottering around the lower divisions. I've not got the time nor inclination to check, but if there is another club in the top two divisions with so little to show for their efforts I'd be very surprised, and I'd like to know who it is.

Getting homegrown talent and keeping it is something Burnley will always find difficult, even with Gawthorpe and the vastly over rated Mike Rigg.

We have not had many home grown players make it, JayRod and McNeil come to mind but not many more which is very poor, and that's not a negative dig at BFC, any really decent player will be poached by bigger Clubs, I remember a lad we had called Coffe who looked like he could make it, Man Utd also thought the same and paid us a Million for him with a promise of a friendly with them (which never happened), Coffe never made it though.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)