+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs Ebbsfleet United 24.08.19

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Also he needs to get Doyle out of there, it's two seasons too late for him, Stead Mark 2.
    Based on his performances overall since joining us, it's fair to say Doyle is surviving in the team on reputation rather than end product at present. Whatever you think of Ardley, one of the measures of him as a manager will be whether he ultimately has the nerve to drop the senior pros if their performances don't merit selection. One of Neil Warnock's first acts as manager was to show the likes of Pike and Birtles in no uncertain terms that their reputations meant nothing to him if they didn't play the way he wanted. It sent the right message to them and to young players like Draper and Johnson who were better than the senior pros by that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Pie View Post
    I hear what you're saying KC.... And really well articulated and understandable post even for a foreigner as me.
    Thing is that he hasn't had these lads playing together for the past 18 months has he ?
    They met 4 weeks ago... What'd you expect by now ?
    Things changes quickly in the world of football. NA has the task to make a squad of newly related players get to know each other on a personal level and as teammates on the pitch . Not easy within a month or so.
    Things will get better.... I'm convinced they will.
    Granted, some of these players met a month ago but a lot of them were here last season. Football really isn't that difficult! You don't forget how to pass, tackle and shoot over the Summer. Also Notts aren't the only team who have signed players recently. Lots of teams could use the same excuse.

Neil Ardley is a lovely man. However, over the last 18 months he took Wimbledon to the bottom of League One and relegated Notts County. He has managed lots of players in that time with one common result.. defeats.

I really want him to succeed, but the sad fact is that he doesn't win football matches. He is on a massive downward spiral which in other professions would be penalised.

Now that everybody's played 3 at home and 3 away, the home and away NL tables have some value.......

We're 9th in the away table.
    19th in the home table.
    So it's definitely the home form that's letting us down so far.

As for goals scored and goals against......
    17th in the offense table.
    11th in the defense table.
    Not a reflection of today's game but overall, defending is mid-table standard, scoring goals more of a problem.

We've only fallen behind twice this season, but failed to equalize and came out with nothing on both occasions.
    We've been in front 6 times so far this season (two of those in one game), 5 times the opponent has equalized. 8 points dropped in those circumstances, which would have place us 2nd tonight if we'd hung on each time.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Now that everybody's played 3 at home and 3 away, the home and away NL tables have some value.......

We're 9th in the away table.
    19th in the home table.
    So it's definitely the home form that's letting us down so far.

As for goals scored and goals against......
    17th in the offense table.
    11th in the defense table.
    Not a reflection of today's game but overall, defending is mid-table standard, scoring goals more of a problem.

We've only fallen behind twice this season, but failed to equalize and came out with nothing on both occasions.
    We've been in front 6 times so far this season (two of those in one game), 5 times the opponent has equalized. 8 points dropped in those circumstances, which would have place us 2nd tonight if we'd hung on each time.
    So basically we're neither definitely good nor bad, but if we learn to defend leads better then we can start to make real forward progress. That's what we need to look to address in the coming weeks as the team gets fitter and spends more time training together.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    So basically we're neither definitely good nor bad.
    Those stats say, compared to the rest of the league, we're average away and average at defense but bad at home and bad at scoring goals (we're actually 18th in offence now that Torquay move above us after the late KO).

17th points wise places us between average and bad.

I won't join a potential Ardley in/out debate, especially on a week-by-week basis depending on results or performances. It's endemic in us football fans as we all know.

However, I do have a concern or two about the manager. I especially find his interviews suck the life out of me a little bit with their frequent subtly negative (unintentional) undertones. There are lots of 'we've got to do this' or 'must do thats' in there. He's clearly a really nice genuine chap but I find no inspiration in his words or manner and I wonder if this reflects on the players too, much as though they might like him.

I'm not really interested in the 'hairdryer' type of man management, I think it's unproductive and only the very best truly get away with it. What I do think people react well to is sensing a bit of passion in a leader and I don't get this so much from Neal Ardley. I point out what I think is one of his negative points. In fairness he has positive traits and abilities too.

... my spelling is like Notts passing! Apologies to the sensitive ...

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Granted, some of these players met a month ago but a lot of them were here last season. Football really isn't that difficult! You don't forget how to pass, tackle and shoot over the Summer. Also Notts aren't the only team who have signed players recently. Lots of teams could use the same excuse.

Neil Ardley is a lovely man. However, over the last 18 months he took Wimbledon to the bottom of League One and relegated Notts County. He has managed lots of players in that time with one common result.. defeats.

I really want him to succeed, but the sad fact is that he doesn't win football matches. He is on a massive downward spiral which in other professions would be penalised.
    Again a very articulate and perfectly understood post from you. I understand your points of views, but I have a major problem in expressing myself in english writing due to it's not my first language. I have a lot of opinions on these matters, but i just don't find the (right) words as quickly as you do.

Anyway.... I hope the best for NCFC, and I'm still planning to go see a match or two in the nearest future. Would be awesome to meet you for a pint (or maybe two? ) before the match. and after the match even

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... my spelling is like Notts passing! Apologies to the sensitive ...

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    You've been clinging onto Ardley being the next Sam for almost as long as he's been here, it's clearly not happening. By all means defend him, but you need to let the Big Sam comparison go. We aren't winning this league in record breaking style.
    Agree 100%. Big Sam was the one who bucked the trend, just because he turned it around after a bad start doesn't mean that if you give any manager time in the job he will do the same. Ardley has to be judged on what he has achieved so far rather than what he might achieve if he is as good a manager as Sam Allardyce.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast