+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Villa tonight

Villa tonight

So, are we in for a thrashing or a surprise? Depends how seriously the villa players take the game. It also depends on whether we've got our shooting boots on or not. We're still struggling in that department.
    What changes will he make? I assume Ainley and Richards will get a go. Will he rest Green and give Jonah a go? Is Powell still tired? Is Pickering fit?
    Whatever the answers, I hope they have been practising penalties and free kicks around the box. We'll need every opportunity we can take.
    Finally, will Crewe people turn up to support their local team? We've got another big club coming on Saturday (and then another home game in plastic cup the following Tuesday!!)

Hopefully been practising corners too! We've seen some clever routines in the past...Luke Murphy's cracker at Wembley after a cute wee dummy from (I think it was) Harry Davis[?] springs to mind. I guess the height element comes to the fore here too but then we have always been poor from dead balls.

6,100 pre-sold...would expect 7-7.5k so about 5k home fans?

If Villa ring the changes then I'd give us a decent chance but I'm sure they will be on a high after their 1st win back in the Prem.

I hope that 1500 or so extra home fans reflect on the performance and not the score. There were significant moments of excellence from the home side. Dale really turned their fullback inside out to the extent that it was no surprise when the defender went off with a 'hamstring injury'. Lowery was also excellent- witness how he was targeted for a bit of rough stuff. Big surprise was Adebisi on his debut. Watch out Harry!
    The main disappointments were our centre-backs. The usually reliable Eddie had his limitations exposed as he was turned again and again. Lancashire was just not up to pace. Charlie and Ainley both could have shown off there abilities bit didn't do much special. Ainley, like a few others, looked absolutely knackered after about 70 mins.
    To those irregular fans, look at the stats. We matched them shot for shot but the difference was clear in terms of how clinical Villa were compared to us.
    Big game on Saturday. Come and see us take on someone our own size (?)

In fairness to Cal Ainley, he hasn't had the games to get full match fitness yet - most of them stood the pace OK to the end I thought.

Adebesi didn't look tired and he has played even less gains
    I like Ainley and he has great skill but for me he does not anticipate. He stands or trots about and only tries to get to a player when the ball gets there instead of marking the man

Adebisi didn't look tired at Nantwich on opening pre-season day when no-one else played more than 45 minutes and he had about 75-80!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I hope that 1500 or so extra home fans reflect on the performance and not the score. There were significant moments of excellence from the home side. Dale really turned their fullback inside out to the extent that it was no surprise when the defender went off with a 'hamstring injury'. Lowery was also excellent- witness how he was targeted for a bit of rough stuff. Big surprise was Adebisi on his debut. Watch out Harry!
    The main disappointments were our centre-backs. The usually reliable Eddie had his limitations exposed as he was turned again and again. Lancashire was just not up to pace. Charlie and Ainley both could have shown off there abilities bit didn't do much special. Ainley, like a few others, looked absolutely knackered after about 70 mins.
    To those irregular fans, look at the stats. We matched them shot for shot but the difference was clear in terms of how clinical Villa were compared to us.
    Big game on Saturday. Come and see us take on someone our own size (?)
    I think the vast majority of fans believe we gave a good account of ourselves despite the score. Loved watching Dale skin Targett (£15m+ fee!) so much that he "done his hamstring" if he can improve his composure and final ball he is going to be some player. Lovely goal from Wintle really enjoyed that as did the fans going by the celebrations! Adebisi I don't think he put a foot wrong all game. Got good ability and he wasn't shy on his debut against Prem opposition which says a lot about his character and application. He seems a bit more defensively astute than Pixie and its been mooted before that Pixie would be better further up the pitch. Eddie and Lancs shown up by pace and quick thinking players but I think the missing link was Green as he is more responsible defensively and helps Wintle out. Didn't see Ainley doing that and as out0lunch alluded to he doesn't anticipate. No doubting his ability on the ball though. He will come good, look how patient we had to be with Kirky.

Shame Kirk didn't move as fast in the 90 minutes as he did at full time to get the shirt off Grealish. Embarrassing or what?
    As for the rest I agree with the earlier posters. Ignore the score and remember the performance. I thought we were good.

Just stumbled over this game on my sports streaming service.
    Having followed CAFC for the best part of 50 years here in Australia, this was the first time I have seen the club play in any form or competition.
    I was very impressed in the game and it had me on the edge of my seat for most of it. Although defeated and overall outclassed, the club should be proud of its performance and display. I loved the attacking style and it should pay off with a bit more maturity and polish which I will come in the next few years.
    Well done, CAFC! My grandfather would have been proud of you.