+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bury expelled from the FL

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMike View Post
    Gutted for Bury fans and everyone connected with the Club. We were extremely close to the same outcome ourselves. I think the EFL has a lot to answer for for its "governance". The fit and proper person test is a joke. How Steve Dale was allowed to buy Bury for £1 in the condition it was clearly in is beyond me. He clearly didn't have the means or the interest to keep them going.
    Who else was in the queue to buy them? And if they had more money why didn't they succeed?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Bury still exist as a club, they can still apply to enter a league at a lower level but the chances of anyone buying a heavily in debt club with no league to play in is very remote unless they have a very wealthy fan but I'd have thought they'd have come forward b fore now anyway?
    Surely liquidation and a phoenix club entering the league at a lower level is their only way forward?

Sad, sad day and a pox on all things Sky.............

Quote Originally Posted by Livid View Post
    Our council did right by us, why would the council in Bury be any different?
    Did they?

Back when Scardino needed a guarantor (not the money) for the 2mil loan he agreed to buy the club the city council said it “wasn’t willing to risk taxpayers money”, just a few years after lending our (not in the city area) red neighbours over 5 times that (which the defaulted on payment of a number of times) to improve their stadium.

They then charged the HG trust the full amount payable on the lease for the ground despite knowing it was for the survival of the club.

In more recent timed they have done NOTHING to help or assist in our recent crisis. Where even local MP’s have been involved.

The council would rather see us gone so they can redevelop the area, so thank god for the HG trust.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Surely liquidation and a phoenix club entering the league at a lower level is their only way forward?

Sad, sad day and a pox on all things Sky.............
    It would be easier I agree but it's not out of the question.

On a slightly separate but interesting note. Bury have now also been excluded from the FA Cup and the FA are having discussions going forward as to how that impacts the first round proper.

It may seem crass, but one thing that spring to mind was as the highest placed relegated team, we might get a bye or taken straight into the first round proper so we don't have a qualifying round to make up the numbers? The way forward would be to have one more non league team in that round regardless you'd think anyway even if it doesn't impact Notts. Just goes to show the wider impact clubs have

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Did they?

Back when Scardino needed a guarantor (not the money) for the 2mil loan he agreed to buy the club the city council said it “wasn’t willing to risk taxpayers money”, just a few years after lending our (not in the city area) red neighbours over 5 times that (which the defaulted on payment of a number of times) to improve their stadium.

They then charged the HG trust the full amount payable on the lease for the ground despite knowing it was for the survival of the club.

In more recent timed they have done NOTHING to help or assist in our recent crisis. Where even local MP’s have been involved.

The council would rather see us gone so they can redevelop the area, so thank god for the HG trust.
    Disagree with that. If they wanted us gone, they wouldn't have refused to work with Alex May or any of his group. It was the council that forced Hardy's hand in that, not the fact he was a convicted fraudster

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    I don’t believe in bail outs, it’s a free market economy.

There will always be those that have and those that have not.

Regulation isn’t the answer, responsible management is.

I’m as sad as anyone over Burys demise, but it could be argued that they spent beyond their means to achieve promotion last term, or over the past number of seasons accruing debt.

Even their CVA was strange with HMRC prepared to write off debt etc.

I truly hope they can survive but I suspect the current business now faces liquidation given a lack of income and they can bounce back from two or three levels below Notts.
    So how do you ensure responsible management without regulating it? If you can answer that for me I would appreciate it and am all ears.

It's said to see Bury expelled from the league, and yes, it could have been us. But it wasn't, and one of the reasons is our unique history. People always say that counts for nothing, but yet another buyer of our club has quoted it as one of the reasons for buying us. Bury had history, although they weren't founder members, but only one club can be the oldest.

Now, if Bolton get expelled, and they were founder members, people will sit up and take notice, even the dribbling fools at the FA who are old enough to rmember when Bolton were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    It's said to see Bury expelled from the league, and yes, it could have been us. But it wasn't, and one of the reasons is our unique history. People always say that counts for nothing, but yet another buyer of our club has quoted it as one of the reasons for buying us. Bury had history, although they weren't founder members, but only one club can be the oldest.
    Bury are/were a small club as league outfits go and have been a poorly supported club for some time, they only scraped past the 4k mark last season despite being promoted, that's less than half of what the other two auto promoted sides (Lincoln and MK) averaged.

And yet, up until the 1970s, they'd only ever spent 5 seasons out of the top 2 tiers, so this probably feels more of a shock to older football fans than the majority of us who see Bury as no bigger than a Colchester, Crewe or Rochdale (and barely bigger than the likes of Darlington, Aldershot, Chester and Hereford). I'm guessing the success of the Manchester clubs, just as television arrived, had a big impact on their ability to maintain a healthy support base and compete in the upper levels.

The 12 point deduction couldn't have helped to convince any potential buyer to take on the debts as you'd be looking at a season where you're probably not going to have anything to realistically play for, gates will be lower than ever and the opportunity for 'new owner bounce' is lost. As a supporter I'd rather take a straight relegation as punishment. Points deductions should be scrapped, it undermines the integrity of the competition, as we saw when Fword got auto promoted despite being the 3rd best club based on results behind Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ivansneck View Post
    What a contrast to our situation. We got offers of help from our closest rivals (Thanks NFFC fans) and Juventus. Man C and Man U did nothing. Those clubs are owned by scum and run by scum and a lot of their supporters are scum of the earth. As are Sky, the FA, the premier league and the EFL. Shame on all of you, and the cretins who mismanaged Bury.
    Correct, Precisely the point I tried to make earlier when I was shot down by jonnyt Know it All.

Quote Originally Posted by macse15 View Post
    Presumably they are bitter because if they had been thorown out last year/season , MTFC would have been promoted (and NCFC wouldnt have been relegated) ???
    That's exactly the reason they are bitter. We were relegated because we were one of the worst two teams in the division, they missed out on promotion because they weren't good enough to make the top three or win the playoffs. We deserve to be in the National League, Mansfield deserve to be in League 2. Gloating at Bury's demise does them no credit at all.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast