+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 133 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1551

Thread: O/T:- Who needs Parliament?

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    I must be dreaming then....Juncker just said "no more prolongation"..yes, yes, I know he´s not actually one of the 27 leaders but this is what they are discussing now.....decent reception for Boris around the table, lots of back-slapping and a mild round of applause
    Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day. Still plenty of twists and turns I suspect. Possibly a bit of a dead cat bounce from the remainers. I will enjoy the brief distraction of Notts v Belper.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Anyone who thinks the EU wouldn’t give an extension for another referendum is dreaming.
    In fact I’ll go further and say anyone who reckons the EU wouldn’t give an extension under any circumstances is dreaming.

Farage has just criticised Juncker for trying to over ride the Benn Act. (Facepalm emoji x 10).

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    I must be dreaming then....Juncker just said "no more prolongation"..yes, yes, I know he´s not actually one of the 27 leaders but this is what they are discussing now.....decent reception for Boris around the table, lots of back-slapping and a mild round of applause
    If the EU like it it's BRINO.
    Adieu, auf wiedersehen, goodbye Tories.

I'm just setting off for the Glee Club to see Geoff Norcott's show.
    He's probably re-writing tonight's act Toot Sweets.

Farage has just criticised Juncker for trying to over ride the Benn Act.
    You mean the Surrender Act? Have they started calling it by its proper name now it's become useful as a way to attack the EU?

Still I suppose he's got to attack something to stay relevant, he might lose his EU salary soon and being Donald Trump's best friend is not looking like the best career choice right now.

Guardian columnist, Simon Jenkins, tonight calls for Labour to back the Boris deal.....quote "Polls show that the public is so fed up with Brexit it would probably vote in a second referendum for any deal, rather than no deal or remain. Otherwise Labour’s position, as set out last night by Keir Starmer, is all over the shop. It mostly consists of objections to the political statement, which is for future negotiation and remains all to play for. Either way, Corbyn should see electoral advantage in allowing Johnson his moment of glory, clearing the decks of Brexit and aiming for an early general election."
    I think the tide is turning, at last............................and the money markets have held on to the days gains.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...brexit-britain

The only reason the markets might like this deal is that it isn’t no deal.

Tells you all you need to know that the government are refusing to do an impact assessment, so to vote for it you must be either an arsehole or a Tory or both. It’s sole purpose is to get Johnson to the election. There’s a decent chance it’s going to get through though, unfortunately that’s going to be far from the end of the matter.

The only reason the markets might like this deal is that it isn’t no deal.

Tells you all you need to know that the government are refusing to do an impact assessment, so to vote for it you must be either an arsehole or a Tory or both. It’s sole purpose is to get Johnson to the election. There’s a decent chance it’s going to get through though, unfortunately that’s going to be far from the end of the matter.
    The country is suffering from ''Brexit Fatigue''. I honestly think Corbyn's best option is to vote the deal thru. My reasons being that at least he can fight the next election on domestic issues, NHS, Universal Credit, Foodbanks, etc and that will at least give him half a chance. The more he blocks/delays, it seems the more popular Johnson becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    The country is suffering from ''Brexit Fatigue''. I honestly think Corbyn's best option is to vote the deal thru. My reasons being that at least he can fight the next election on domestic issues, NHS, Universal Credit, Foodbanks, etc and that will at least give him half a chance. The more he blocks/delays, it seems the more popular Johnson becomes.
    If ‘Brexit fatigue’ is a thing it’s the worst possible reason for voting for that mess tomorrow. Years and years of negotiations with a cliff edge always on the near horizon.

Johnson’s deal is sh!t. Corbyn and Labour should be voting against it for that reason, rather than any calculations about the election. The EU are really happy about it, so that tells you a lot.

If ‘Brexit fatigue’ is a thing it’s the worst possible reason for voting for that mess tomorrow. Years and years of negotiations with a cliff edge always on the near horizon.

Johnson’s deal is sh!t. Corbyn and Labour should be voting against it for that reason, rather than any calculations about the election. The EU are really happy about it, so that tells you a lot.
    Apparently something very similar to the customs border down the Irish sea was offered to May in 2018 but turned down as she thought it'd be impossible to get through parliament. Boris is on record saying he could never vote for it.

The other major difference seems to be that it allows the UK to change (ie lower) regulatory standards during the transition period to allow for trade deals with countries where food and safety standards aren't as good as in the EU.

The thing is that Boris has the ERG, Mail, the Sun and the Express on side, so instead of rubbishing it as a rehashed version of more of the same, as would've happened if May had proposed it, it's being presented as plucky Boris going to Brussels and coming back with a deal against all odds.

Looks like it's going to be close on Saturday anyway, less than 10 votes either way.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Apparently something very similar to the customs border down the Irish sea was offered to May in 2018 but turned down as she thought it'd be impossible to get through parliament. Boris is on record saying he could never vote for it.

The other major difference seems to be that it allows the UK to change (ie lower) regulatory standards during the transition period to allow for trade deals with countries where food and safety standards aren't as good as in the EU.

The thing is that Boris has the ERG, Mail, the Sun and the Express on side, so instead of rubbishing it as a rehashed version of more of the same, as would've happened if May had proposed it, it's being presented as plucky Boris going to Brussels and coming back with a deal against all odds.

Looks like it's going to be close on Saturday anyway, less than 10 votes either way.
    Apparently !!

I would be interested to read up on the above but I won't ask for a link as it seems to annoy you.

Page 133 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast