+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 156 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Who needs Parliament?

He's not just shutting it down for an extra 4 days. There is a huge difference between a recess and a prorogation. During a recess (which is normal for conference season) all normal functions of government continue, including select committees and the house of lords etc - all the elements that hold a government to account.

This is different - this is a shut down of all departments, which for this length of time given there are no elections or holidays is being done purely to remove the government of parliamentary scrutiny.

Whichever way you dress this up it is dangerous, reckless and flies in the face of parliamentary sovereignty which we should all hold dear. It sets a potentially very unwelcome precedent.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...tion-explained

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    keep it on speed dail you're going to need it
    Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    The Navys top sniper joins the conversation

Luckily their number is 3-2-1
    I removed it from mine a few weeks ago.

Not really mate, it's not like someone on here is gonna change my views nor me theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post

Not really mate, it's not like someone on here is gonna change my views nor me theirs.
    I like it its like arguing with a traffic warden, it makes you feel better and you both go home thinking you were right

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post

That really is the most sensible comment in this whole saga. Everything else is just people shouting at each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    He's not just shutting it down for an extra 4 days. There is a huge difference between a recess and a prorogation. During a recess (which is normal for conference season) all normal functions of government continue, including select committees and the house of lords etc - all the elements that hold a government to account.

This is different - this is a shut down of all departments, which for this length of time given there are no elections or holidays is being done purely to remove the government of parliamentary scrutiny.

Whichever way you dress this up it is dangerous, reckless and flies in the face of parliamentary sovereignty which we should all hold dear. It sets a potentially very unwelcome precedent.

Here's another link. Enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXxrxctHrLE

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post

In 1997, John Major came under criticism after he called for the prorogation of parliament, which conveniently buried a report about to be published on the ‘cash for questions’ scandal.
    I don't seem to recall the Professional Protest Movement taking to the streets then . It was fine for him to prorogue parliament back then, but it’s not fine for Boris Johnson to do so now!
    Will his much vaunted, offered " professional advice" to the Court include that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    In 1997, John Major came under criticism after he called for the prorogation of parliament, which conveniently buried a report about to be published on the ‘cash for questions’ scandal.
    I don't seem to recall the Professional Protest Movement taking to the streets then . It was fine for him to prorogue parliament back then, but it’s not fine for Boris Johnson to do so now!
    Will his much vaunted, offered " professional advice" to the Court include that ?
    Even then a Tory but I didn't like the pontificating berk. Humiliated Norma his wife after admitting a four year affair with Edwina.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Even then a Tory but I didn't like the pontificating berk. Humiliated Norma his wife after admitting a four year affair with Edwina.
    And now he's offering his support to Gina Millers campaign . . . unbelievable!

It won't be long until old maids on bicycles are cycling to protests through the morning mists. Mark my worms.

" Who needs the Kwiky Mart - I dooo.... "

(apologies to Matt Groening / The Simpsons)

Page 19 of 156 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast