+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Europa League group stage draw

Europa League group stage draw

Slovan Bratislava, FC Braga and Besiktas await us. Without knowing too much about them my instinct is we could do OK in that group?

Besiktas are a regular in continental play, this being their fifth straight season with either Champions League or Europa League. And they've been in European play in all but three seasons since 2002-03. They're one of the more decorated Turkish clubs with 15 domestic league titles, most recently in 2016-17.
    18/19 - Europa League - Group Stage
    17/18 - Champions League - Round of 16
    16/17 - Champions League - Group Stage; Europa League - Quarterfinals
    15/16 - Europa League - Group Stage

Braga are also in their fifth straight year of continental play, all in Europa League. Weren't in European play in 14/15 but had been in 10 straight years before that. They've never won their domestic league, and have a couple domestic cup wins and finished runner-up in Europa League 10 years ago.
    18/19 - 3rd Qualifying round
    17/18 - Round of 32
    16/17 - Group Stage
    15/16 - Quarterfinals

Slovan Bratislava are in their 10th straight year of continental play. They've won 21 domestic league titles (Slovakia and Czechoslovakia) and won the 1969 Cup Winners Cup, probably their greatest club accomplishment, beating Barcelona in the final. They've made it to the group stage of Europa League twice before, never winning a game in 12 attempts.

I think this is a fairly tough group. All other squads have alot more experience than us in European play, though I am going to assume we're talented enough to play with them. I think this is the second toughest group in Europa League behind Group F - Arsenal, Eintracht Frankfurt, Standard Liege and Vitória de Guimarães. I haven't seen the other teams play, but based on their past records in European football, I would be surprised if any of the four ran away with this group. I think we can get one of those top two spots, however.

If I made a prediction now, I would say:

1. Besiktas
    2. Wolves
    3. Braga
    4. Slovan Bratislava

Here's the full draw for the group stage:

Group A: Sevilla, APOEL, Qarabag, Dudelange
    Group B: Dynamo Kiev, Kobenhavn, Malmo, Lugano
    Group C: Basel, Krasnodar, Getafe, Trabzonspor
    Group D: Sporting CP, PSV, Rosenborg, LASK
    Group E: Lazio, Celtic, Rennes, Cluj
    Group F: Arsenal, Eintracht Frankfurt, Standard Liege, Vitoria
    Group G: Porto, Young Boys, Feyenoord, Rangers
    Group H: CSKA Moscow, Ludogorets, Espanyol, Ferencvaros\
    Group I: Wolfsburg, Gent, St. Etienne, Olexandriya
    Group J: Roma, Borussia Monchengladbach, Istanbul Basaksehir, Wolfsburg
    Group K: Besiktas, Braga, Wolves, Slovan Bratislava
    Group L: Manchester United, Astana, Partizan Belgrade, AZ Alkmaar

Thanks for the info. Mich.

Not an east group but winnable without doubt. Beksitas are the big name but I think based on recent results Braga will be the most difficult.

Some well thought out reasoning Mich. Have been travelling back from holiday since Thursday morning so only just seen the draw. Once again travel fatigue could be a big factor.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)