+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brentford

Brentford

Brentford all over us, 1-0!!
    Come on Cock show us what you've got!!
    Oops, 2-0!!

Mistake by Lawro led to the move for their first. Back 4 marking zones instead of players meant they had a player in our box totally unmarked. 2nd, poor pass, quick break and another player unmarked in our box...... individual errors punished. Following their 2nd they gained confidence and their passing was as exceptional as ours was poor. 2nd half had to be better didn't it?

2nd half was better but, for the 2nd game on the trot, we had had no shots on target.

Poor just about everywhere. Out of position, poor passing, little movement off the ball, leaving their players alone in acres of space........ The break has come at the right time for us IMO.

Roos. Should he have stood up for their 1st? I would have. No chance with their 2nd or 3rd. 2 very good saves and that great chest just before the end. Poor distributionat the start misjudging the narrowness of the pitch.

Lowe. Not our worst by a long shot. Defended better 2nd half when back on the left 2nd half.

Keogh. How many last ditch blocks today? Part of the cause our attacks were slow as most of the time the only available pass was sideways or backwards.

Bielik. Starting to look in command on the field. Part of the cause our attacks were slow as most of the time the only available pass was sideways or backwards. After today he will be thinking "what have I let myself in for?"

Buchanan. Started well but after getting clattered twice he was out of the contest and off the pace. I thought he needed subbing there and then. He stayed on till HT.

Hudds. Some lovely little turns and feints but lacks pace and his radar was off today. Part of the cause our attacks were slow as most of the time the only available pass was sideways or backwards.

Dowell. Where is the real Dowell? What he has shown us so far is not what he has done in his 2 previous loan periods elsewhere. Looks slow, can't pass....... gets caught in possession.

Knight. Not his best game this season. Not involved much of the time. Lost it on a few occasions. As with Buchanan who was OK until clattered and should have been subbed befre HT, not having a go at the player. These young lads won't always perform at the top of their game.

Lawrence. Still an enigma to me. Imperious against HTFC 5 games ago. Poor since then. Loses control of the ball and gives it away. Still can't tackle. Picked up yet another booking. Got better when he moved inside for much of the 2nd half including two great runs down the middle but picked out the wrong pass and executed the passes poorly as well. He is a luxury we can't afford.

Marriott. Ran about, put their defenders under some pressure, got little to no ball he could do anything with.

Waghorn. Read my Marriott comments.

Cocu needs to have a long hard look at:

1. Marking. Yet again the zonal marking worked a treat. Not a single zone scored. Players granted the freedom of the pitch did.
    2. Condensing the field of play by having players on the open side come some 20+ yards infield to reduce the amount of usable space for the opposition. Valid tactic but they keep coming inside way too far leaving the oppo's wide men time and space to make decent crosses which we don't deal with and they score
    3. The apparently low skill levels the players are showing.
    4. Slowness in getting back into position when attacks break down and we transition to defence.

In short, it was awful and we have to improve greatly or it will be a long, hard season.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Mistake by Lawro led to the move for their first. Back 4 marking zones instead of players meant they had a player in our box totally unmarked. 2nd, poor pass, quick break and another player unmarked in our box...... individual errors punished. Following their 2nd they gained confidence and their passing was as exceptional as ours was poor. 2nd half had to be better didn't it?

2nd half was better but, for the 2nd game on the trot, we had had no shots on target.

Poor just about everywhere. Out of position, poor passing, little movement off the ball, leaving their players alone in acres of space........ The break has come at the right time for us IMO.

Roos. Should he have stood up for their 1st? I would have. No chance with their 2nd or 3rd. 2 very good saves and that great chest just before the end. Poor distributionat the start misjudging the narrowness of the pitch.

Lowe. Not our worst by a long shot. Defended better 2nd half when back on the left 2nd half.

Keogh. How many last ditch blocks today? Part of the cause our attacks were slow as most of the time the only available pass was sideways or backwards.

Bielik. Starting to look in command on the field. Part of the cause our attacks were slow as most of the time the only available pass was sideways or backwards. After today he will be thinking "what have I let myself in for?"

Buchanan. Started well but after getting clattered twice he was out of the contest and off the pace. I thought he needed subbing there and then. He stayed on till HT.

Hudds. Some lovely little turns and feints but lacks pace and his radar was off today. Part of the cause our attacks were slow as most of the time the only available pass was sideways or backwards.

Dowell. Where is the real Dowell? What he has shown us so far is not what he has done in his 2 previous loan periods elsewhere. Looks slow, can't pass....... gets caught in possession.

Knight. Not his best game this season. Not involved much of the time. Lost it on a few occasions. As with Buchanan who was OK until clattered and should have been subbed befre HT, not having a go at the player. These young lads won't always perform at the top of their game.

Lawrence. Still an enigma to me. Imperious against HTFC 5 games ago. Poor since then. Loses control of the ball and gives it away. Still can't tackle. Picked up yet another booking. Got better when he moved inside for much of the 2nd half including two great runs down the middle but picked out the wrong pass and executed the passes poorly as well. He is a luxury we can't afford.

Marriott. Ran about, put their defenders under some pressure, got little to no ball he could do anything with.

Waghorn. Read my Marriott comments.

Cocu needs to have a long hard look at:

1. Marking. Yet again the zonal marking worked a treat. Not a single zone scored. Players granted the freedom of the pitch did.
    2. Condensing the field of play by having players on the open side come some 20+ yards infield to reduce the amount of usable space for the opposition. Valid tactic but they keep coming inside way too far leaving the oppo's wide men time and space to make decent crosses which we don't deal with and they score
    3. The apparently low skill levels the players are showing.
    4. Slowness in getting back into position when attacks break down and we transition to defence.

In short, it was awful and we have to improve greatly or it will be a long, hard season.
    Can't argue with that MA . I've just had a very quiet drive back from London impossible to find even one good thing to say about that performance Suppose the only good thing was keeping the score down ,that was more by luck than anything We again created nothing from the first whistle to the last . I could go through every player But they were all as bad There's a terrible lack of skill ,pace,or brain in this squad IMO we only have two decent midfielders in Beilic and Holmes but the manager uses them as defenders Where we go from here I'm not sure because when you look at the squad there's nobody who would make much of a difference Playing three young lads at the same time is suicidal in this division Think we can forget about points from our next two fixtures . Cocu has been dealt a poor hand imo

Does Bogle solve the issue? Don't get why beilic is in defense when we have Clarke.

Bogle on the right would allow us to play Lowe on the left and Lowe is better, quicker and more experienced than Buchanan who, I suspect, is nursing a few niggles today if not an injury.

Malone still to come back from injury but, IMO, he has been poor this season although I will add that this season's data is over less than a handful of games. On the other hand, his penchant for only using his left foot stagnates attacks 90% of the time because he invariably ends up with his back to the sideline and passes backwards which doesn't match Cocu's stated philosophy of attacking quickly.

I see Lowe and Buchanan as our #1 and #2 left backs at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Bogle on the right would allow us to play Lowe on the left and Lowe is better, quicker and more experienced than Buchanan who, I suspect, is nursing a few niggles today if not an injury.

Malone still to come back from injury but, IMO, he has been poor this season although I will add that this season's data is over less than a handful of games. On the other hand, his penchant for only using his left foot stagnates attacks 90% of the time because he invariably ends up with his back to the sideline and passes backwards which doesn't match Cocu's stated philosophy of attacking quickly.

I see Lowe and Buchanan as our #1 and #2 left backs at the moment.
    Have to agree MA as limited as it is Lowe and Buchanan are our best options at the moment or even Shinnie at left back . Malone done nothing this season to deserve a place Obviously Lowe would be better in the left but he's done his best on the right There's a lad in the U23i like the look of Jordan Brown always plays left back although he's right footed doesn't seem to faze him one bit
    Last edited by mistaram; 01-09-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Seen Jordan a few times this season via RamsTV. Another promising young un but not at the level of Lowe or Buchanan yet.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)