+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tranmere Rovers Post Match Thoughts

Not good today but its still early so let's see where we are after a dozen games. One thing I don't understand is getting everyone back when the other team gets a corner. Why not leave two of ours on the halfway line.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    Not good today but its still early so let's see where we are after a dozen games. One thing I don't understand is getting everyone back when the other team gets a corner. Why not leave two of ours on the halfway line.
    Because we don’t trust our defence.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Awful....nay boring to watch

I don't like to see a player injured but the injury to the woeful Vassell might prove to be a blessing. The new winger (nickname 'dozy') did more in this match than Vassell has done in his whole Millers career. I have never seen a player who has such a complete lack of awareness. Vassell should be nowhere near the starting eleven.

Answer me this why did Crooks look like a world beater in the championship and in division 1, looks massively sub standard?.

There was no shortage off effort but the Tranmere game is a blueprint for what every home game is going to be this season. Tough tackling teams keeping it tight. We need a style and a system to break other teams down

How do you know his nickname?

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    Whilst my post was tongue in cheek I really don't agree Leeds. The Midfield performance today was as bad as it gets. At no point all game was there a pass from a midfielder that went cleanly to a red shirt. They either gave it away or gave a pass that made the recipient have to work hard to control the ball. The young lad Barlaser looked like he'd never played football before and to have him on all the set pieces when his delivery continues to be so poor is criminal. Wiles is going to be some player but his goal today papered over a performance where he gave the ball away countless times. I hope Crooks is just having a bad patch, he was dreadful today and the worrying thing was that he was easily outmuscled by players half his size. I was encouraged by one nice piece of skill where he beat 2 players and got a shot off but other than that he stank the place out. Jamie Lindsay was a huge improvement on Barlaser and should start at Donny.
    Whilst the midfield is performing so poorly, it is always going to be difficult for our defence and the strikers have little to work with. Hopefully Adam Thompson has some leadership skills because that can be the only reason Wood keeps getting picked. It seems to me that the Ihiekwie/Robertson partnership hasn't worked because they are both quiet so perhaps it's time for Thompson.
    Tony, great write up and says it all. Warne if you read this, take on board the content

Quote Originally Posted by leedsmiller View Post
    Just to buck the trend slightly, I was quite encouraged today. Not by the team performance, of which we can easily be over-critical, but by the collection of individuals we've assembled (thus far). In all my years supporting the Millers this season must rank as one of the best for the quality of recruits, possibly going back to the Moore, Seasman, Towner era (though none are yet in that category). And one of the best recruits must surely be Rob Scott.
    To put things in perspective, we still don't know our best starting eleven (if there is such a thing these days) or our best formation and the players themselves don't know each other as each game sees new faces in the squad. Today there was no pattern, no fluidity but there were some encouraging individual performances especially from recent arrivals Lindsay and Ogbene. So, at this early stage, I'm happy to put today's showing down to a dozen new signings and a disjointed start to the season in terms of postponements, injuries and the fact that, for us at least, a very active transfer window is still ongoing.
    Obviously, we can't under-estimate the difficult task facing Warne and Co in welding the individuals into an effective unit but at least they have the right tools to work with (no pun intended!).
    (Or maybe I'm just being too positive!).
    I wasn't there, but from what I've seen on I-follow so far this is a very good assessment.

Positives.

We only ended up with Vassell injured!
    Icky is proving himself to be a very good defender.
    Oggie was prepared to run and turn defenders.

Negatives.

We are crap at game management!
    Taking off Freddie to put on Mattock invited pressure.
    The referee was on another planet

The negatives far out weighed the psotitives but we still got a point in a match we were never at risk of losing. I have now grown a complete dislike to Tranmere and the way they acted, played and threatened! A disgraceful team that would have happily left the field with less men than started it.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Positives.

We only ended up with Vassell injured!
    Icky is proving himself to be a very good defender.
    Oggie was prepared to run and turn defenders.

Negatives.

We are crap at game management!
    Taking off Freddie to put on Mattock invited pressure.
    The referee was on another planet

The negatives far out weighed the psotitives but we still got a point in a match we were never at risk of losing. I have now grown a complete dislike to Tranmere and the way they acted, played and threatened! A disgraceful team that would have happily left the field with less men than started it.
    True they fell over a lot but the basic difference was they had a game plan and we didn’t

Imo which obviously means very little.
    442 has been played all over the world for a good reason
    It gives balance to a team and controls how the opposition plays. Though playing the wrong players in a 442 can weaken the side..
    I can see why warne is playing the formation he is, and all the players he's using a very capable players.
    Though NOW is the time to get the final jigsaw pieces before the window closes and were stuck playing a formation that doesn't suit several of our players.

My 11 Vs donny possible 442

1 Iverson... looks a good loan signing.

2 Olosunde. Been the best player so far this season. Could imo play further forward though not till Jones is fit.

3, mattock. Not the best defensive player but gives Sumat else going forward

4 ihekwe. My motm yesterday and a close one Vs piggys. Getting better in the air.
    5 Robertson. Proven lg1 defender and not had many bad games in a miller's shirt.
    6, crooks. His laboured style makes him look slow though he can put his foot in. Needs room to play his best.

7 ogbeny. (Dozy?) Looked like he could be a good asset in this league. can cross with both feet. We have been missing this.

8. Wiles. his game is spoiled in a 3 across the middle. He carries the ball well and given room will get plenty of midfield goals

9 smith. His goal return to games is shocking for a striker though in this league you sometime need a battering ram.

10 Ladapo. Giving him the benefit of doubt just because he's better than he's shown so far.

11. Tricky one as if the rangers winger is here then he needs to go str in.

We have plenty of like for like swaps from the bench if needed.

If the rangers lad is not available
    I would try.

Ihekwe Robertson Thompson mattock along the back
    Olosunde crooks wiles and ogbene in the middle

Name:  E4AD956B-D262-4D76-BB96-D9A22991DDE2.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  5.2 KB

This photo says it all

Olosunde looks like a good player, but the reason that he was released by Man U was because he is injury prone. Even Warney has said that it would be unfair to expect him to play 40 games this season. With Jones injured, possibly long term, we still need a right back as cover, even if just a loan. Also I agree that Olosunde has the skills to play at wing-back or even wide midfield. Under Warney we always seem to have lots of players for some positions, but lack cover for others.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 01-09-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast