+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stats v Yeovil

Stats. The last 3 times Notts County have faced Yokel, they have been stuffed by a team that includes Carl Dickinson. Fcuk the stats, let's get real.

3-1 is the only stat that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    3-1 is the only stat that matters.
    I agree.

So why on Monday wasn't 5 - 1 the only stat that mattered?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I agree.

I agree.

I base my judgements on stats quite a lot, and while they mostly give a good picture, it's not always the case.. If you were there on Monday you would realise that the scoreline was hugely flattering in our favour. We were basically humiliated until Tyson scored, and even after that the winning margin was only achieved by the sort of superb finishing we see once in a blue moon. The stats suggest that we deserved more today, but the nagging doubt is that the huge confidence boost the Chorley result should have give wasn't utilised. I have said ever since we were hammered at home by Newport that things won't improve with Ardley at the helm, and it's an opinion I still stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I base my judgements on stats quite a lot, and while they mostly give a good picture, it's not always the case.. If you were there on Monday you would realise that the scoreline was hugely flattering in our favour. We were basically humiliated until Tyson scored, and even after that the winning margin was only achieved by the sort of superb finishing we see once in a blue moon. The stats suggest that we deserved more today, but the nagging doubt is that the huge confidence boost the Chorley result should have give wasn't utilised. I have said ever since we were hammered at home by Newport that things won't improve with Ardley at the helm, and it's an opinion I still stand by.
    I was there on Monday and agree with your comments.

I was just pointing out that if today's only stat that matters is that we lost, you have to ignore Monday's stats too and say only 5 - 1 matters.

Just as the scoreline on Monday flattered us, it sounded like today it flattered Yeovil, especially if it had ended 3 - 0.

Tuesday will be interesting as Solihull have lost the last 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    We just seem too nice as a side, which may reflect the manager. Doyle was meant to introduce the dark arts, but he’s so far off the pace that the game passes him by. We’ve scored some lovely goals this season - but we’re not getting the scrappy goals that you need to get as well. Tap-ins during goalmouth scrambles, winning headers/second balls in the box at set-pieces. In other words, the type of goals we keep conceding.

If you look at the wins under Ardley (it doesn’t take long), we generally seem unable to “win ugly” when we’re not playing well and have to grind a win out through sheer character. Until that happens, we’ll struggle to fulfil our seeming potential.

I agree.

It was and is. But this is a discussion board, so discussion of every other aspect is to be expected, whether statistical, subjective or just irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    We just seem too nice as a side, which may reflect the manager. Doyle was meant to introduce the dark arts, but he’s so far off the pace that the game passes him by. We’ve scored some lovely goals this season - but we’re not getting the scrappy goals that you need to get as well. Tap-ins during goalmouth scrambles, winning headers/second balls in the box at set-pieces. In other words, the type of goals we keep conceding.

If you look at the wins under Ardley (it doesn’t take long), we generally seem unable to “win ugly” when we’re not playing well and have to grind a win out through sheer character. Until that happens, we’ll struggle to fulfil our seeming potential.
    Having more of a physical presence would surely help in this. This probably highlights most your point about the side reflecting the manager. We just don’t seem to sign anyone whose face looks like they would put it in amongst the studs.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post

Also we are conceding late goals which are costing us. In the 8 games we have played this season we have conceded 11 goals. 5 of those (almost half) have been scored in the last 20 minutes of games.

I don’t know whether it’s tiredness, loss of concentration as the game enters its final stage but it’s costing us points. So far if we had defended better in the last 20 minutes we could be maximum of six points better off which would have us sat in 5th place.

We simply need to defend better in the last 20 minutes of games and hopefully as this team gets fitter both physically and mentally then this will happen.

Here are the games this season in which we conceded in the last 20 minutes with the points lost because of it;

Stockport - 71 min (2 points lost)
    Barnet - 75 min (1 point lost)
    Wrexham - 74 min (2 points lost)
    Yeovil - 82, 85 min (1 point lost)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12