+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose a trade

You don't want to be a journalist. They are on a par with police officers in their propensity towards selling grandmothers in the hope of career advancement.

Plumber is the way to go. The new rock stars your plumbers are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Why?

If you ended up working for a Scottish newspaper, all you would be doing is regurgitating PR pish and eating succulent lamb at Sevco.

And the pay is terrible.
    I didn't mean at the Record or some pish. Scottish fitba would be the last thing I would want to report on

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Buc View Post
    I do agree .
    Who I do feel sorry for are young journalists leaving uni with very little chance of getting into the game they trained for.
    Didn't the P&J/Evening Express employees not go on strike about 30 years ago and the bully editor sacked them all and replaced them with people without journalistic degrees .

My memory is a bit vague on this so could be misinforming.
    They were sacked in 89. The one bright spot is that NUJ picket Michael Gove got his jotters. Once the AJ chapel was obliterated, scab eejits like Charlie Allan were recruited, to the detriment of standards.

Apart from features, print journalism has just about had it. A degree course syllabus now has far more content about broadcasting, blogging, online media and news management, its focus having shifted significantly even in the dozen years since one of my offspring graduated from Napier. Local newspapers were the other good route into the profession, but they, where they still exist, are largely syndicated articles with little local news input.

The gig is done.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 02-09-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Little darling, it seems the ice is slowly melting

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Buc View Post
    I do agree .
    Who I do feel sorry for are young journalists leaving uni with very little chance of getting into the game they trained for.
    Didn't the P&J/Evening Express employees not go on strike about 30 years ago and the bully editor sacked them all and replaced them with people without journalistic degrees .

My memory is a bit vague on this so could be misinforming.

Charlie Allan

Edit: beaten to the actual naming and shaming by 57
    Last edited by donsdaft; 02-09-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: andI say " it's alright "

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Charlie Allan

Edit: beaten to the actual naming and shaming by 57
    That's one I think he worked as an auxiliary nurse but did do some minor bits of Sunday league reporting prior to getting the job with the EE.

My mate was a journalist with the Herald before it went completely pish. His claim to fame was that he got the Labour Lord and former Pikey director Mike Watson the jail, for setting fire to hotel curtains.

Mike had originally plead not guilty, until he saw that he was going to be skewered in the paper.

Ok let me rephrase. I would want to write about music (insert "you dinna ken fit music is min" gag) or fitba.

A job at World Soccer or Classic Rock would suffice

Any trade that negated the necessity for some of the useless thieving c@nts I have round this place over the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Ok let me rephrase. I would want to write about music (insert "you dinna ken fit music is min" gag) or fitba.

A job at World Soccer or Classic Rock would suffice
    Haven't seen a 'world soccer' in decades. Used to be the go to magazine in summer for the wee European fixture list booklet. Doubt if you get it anymore. The info is all so readily available online.

Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    Any trade that negated the necessity for some of the useless thieving c@nts I have round this place over the last 20 years.
    What tradesmen did you have Don.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast