+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Arbroath in the challenge cup

Obviously wanted to win, like every united match.
    But as soon as I left the ground I really wasn't bothered. Pointless competition for us, probably a blessing were out as I've just read on Twitter the next round of fixtures for the biscuit cup is when we should play QOTS, who also went out today, so our league fixture should go ahead as scheduled on a Saturday 3pm ko.
    A midweek game dodged.

Apologies, quarter finals weekend. At tannadice.

IMHO, this competition should be played between the clubs in League One and Two.

Dire match to watch. Showed Arbroath as a well organised, fit hard working side who will be difficult to beat.

The main thing it highlighted is to confirm that certain players have cemented themselves as squad/bit players and not regular starters.

C Smith, N Clark, really didn't rise to the game, King needs a little time to get fit before assessing, Sporle improved, service to Aperre was atrocious hoping young boy would just chase everything down.

Our main playing squad is less robust than we thought as todays starting side would have been humped by the Dees last week so injuries are a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post
    Our main playing squad is less robust than we thought as todays starting side would have been humped by the Dees last week so injuries are a concern.
    Which is why the release of Sow was all the stranger. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not placing any importance on yesterday’s result in that non-entity of a tournament, but if we were to pick up a couple of injuries to key players like what happened to Fyvie and Fraser a couple of seasons ago, then I fear there may be a current vulnerability now in terms of squad depth.

Yes, there was quite a few first team players in but that looked like what it was, a side that had hardly played together. Biggest disappointment for me was King, I thought he was terrible. Robson playing at centre half I was interested to see and I thought he was great, strolled the match. He's turning into one of our most consistent performers.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Yes, there was quite a few first team players in but that looked like what it was, a side that had hardly played together. Biggest disappointment for me was King, I thought he was terrible. Robson playing at centre half I was interested to see and I thought he was great, strolled the match. He's turning into one of our most consistent performers.
    Robson played centre half as a youngster in the reserve team quite a lot of times and if it wasn't for him being a wee bit wee he probably would have been one rather than a left back.

Ties are on 12/13 October and we play QoS on 19th so a free weekend.

well im glad thats out the way! just poor all round! atmosphere (as expected) was poor, the game was a non-event and we still cant take penalties. thats all before not getting handed a free caramel wafer on arrival!

Deniz- didnt need to do much. at least he saved a pen
    Smith- steady but not as good as usual.
    Watson- decent enough but dont think done enough to merit start.
    Robson- MOTM for me. solid strolled it and has improved loads since neilson came in.
    Sporle- few dodgy moments but overall looked not too bad. still needs time to adjust i think
    King- king of the sidewards pass by the looks of it. looked wee bit off it
    Harkes- buzzed about and at least tried to get things going.
    Clark- didnt notice he was playing until the 2nd half.
    Pawlett- no.10 or nothing.
    Smith- similar to pawlett. didnt do enough for me
    Appere- i actually thought he got bullied alot by their CB's.

Shankland and mcmullan should never had been used imo. could have backfired majorly.

overall not great. positives? Robson, harkes, a clean sheet, game time for few guys and no injuries.

Arbroath will set up pretty much the same when they come back in a few weeks time so we know what they'll be all about.

Positives are we will not underestimate Arbroath in league, we dont have the extra games and king and others do need to understand their performances were well below our full team so pull the finger out or you wont even be on bench

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)