+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Big day in Parliament (Part 53)

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    It doesn't help BT if you want to pull up the drawbridge and stop free movement.

I believe in working in co operation, not competing, for the common good.

I believe we should continue to travel, live and work wherever we want to.

We have lived in harmony following WW2 but the language towards our European partners these last few years makes me worry.

We work in partnership on defence and security, science, medicine, engineering and a whole host of other things.

We are free to come and go as we please with minimal hassle and to embrace other cultures and people.

Tell me BT, how on earth does your utopian ideal fit in with shutting ourselves off from all this?

Or do you think this utopian society is for Brits only and bugger anyone else?
    I can’t be sure 59 but we had all the things listed above as a commonwealth and yet we didn’t need un elected idiots telling us what to do or not to do etc etc

I don't know how old you are Army (I'm 66) and I well remember the days before we joined the Common Market.
    We were a shambles as a country. We were called "the sick man of Europe"
    Since we started working with our European neighbors we now have the 5th biggest economy in the world.

The EU is the biggest single market in the world - and it is right on our doorstep.

And it is much, much more than just trade. We collaborate together in many ways.

To tear all this up in the forlorn hope that we can replace it with dealing with Australia, Canada, South Africa etc is madness.

We already deal with these countries anyway - could we generate the extra trade we would lose from the EU from increasing our trade with the commonwealth countries? No chance. And the other collaboration we currently do with the EU would be simply lost.

I don't know how old you are Army (I'm 66) and I well remember the days before we joined the Common Market.
    Since we started working with our European neighbors we now have the 5th biggest economy in the world.

The EU is the biggest single market in the world - and it is right on our doorstep.

And it is much, much more than just trade. We collaborate together in many ways.

To tear all this up in the forlorn hope that we can replace it with dealing with Australia, Canada, South Africa etc is madness.

We already deal with these countries anyway - could we generate the extra trade we would lose from the EU from increasing our trade with the commonwealth countries? No chance. And the other collaboration we currently do with the EU would be simply lost.
    Trade was never a problem 59_60. We have traded successfully with Europe since the days of the Hanseatic League. It is all the bureaucracy of the would be European Super State and its lack of accountability that has caused all the problems.

I’m 50 years young 59

I can’t understand why we think the European countries won’t deal with us as we are reliant on each other as we were before major I think signed the treaty to give Brussels the reigns and let them dictate what we do and don’t do.

I just can’t see it surviving as it is as you rightly say we have a trading relationship with many countries and not just on produce but can they really afford to to say no sorry to us Brussels says we can’t deal with you anymore as you’re outside the union.

We will be stronger for this and those still under the scaremonger umbrella will start to wander why we can survive and thrive outside the enormous contributions that are being made,

I still believe that Brussels is frightend to death that we come out and is sat watching our politics implode from the inside rubbing its hands thinking Jo and Jezza will bring the money back and we can all go back to doing nothing for exorbitant amounts of money while the commons and parliament pretend their busy making important decisions for us ( which really their not because big brother is really making them in Brussels).

Dare to dream 59 as Burnley would say , a life where we make our own decisions and buy bent bananas again whatever that meant , where we don’t throw our fish back in the sea dead because of quota, we are brilliant in this country your right but some people have just forgotten that and want to leave it to someone else in Europe to sort out as frankly that’s just easier than Making decisions themselves.

Well let's hope you are right - because I think we will leave with no deal.

Yes, of course we will still trade with Europe, but not as easy as it is now.

There will be customs checks at the borders. We will have to produce goods up to their standards in order to sell them. And, most importantly, there will be tarrifs.

Take sheep as one example. At the moment they are tariff free. With a no deal there will be a 40% tariff imposed - and our farmers will really struggle to sell them. Many will not be able to sell them.
    The Government say that they will support our farmers but when you think about it, should our Government pay our farmers 40% of the value of their sheep for ever more? That doesn't make any kind of sense.
    And there are plenty more examples of the impact of tariffs in other areas.

We rely on Europe for many ***** things - medicine being an often quoted example.

We will no longer have access to the European security data base - with all that that entails.

There will be delays at the borders without a doubt which may affect time sensitive commodities (such as medicines)

Dare to dream? Yes, but let's be realistic about the impact.

It doesn't help BT if you want to pull up the drawbridge and stop free movement.

I believe in working in co operation, not competing, for the common good.

I believe we should continue to travel, live and work wherever we want to.

We have lived in harmony following WW2 but the language towards our European partners these last few years makes me worry.

We work in partnership on defence and security, science, medicine, engineering and a whole host of other things.

We are free to come and go as we please with minimal hassle and to embrace other cultures and people.

Tell me BT, how on earth does your utopian ideal fit in with shutting ourselves off from all this?

Or do you think this utopian society is for Brits only and bugger anyone else?
    We live in a globalised world 1959_60.

The inequality across the globe is breathtakingly shocking.

Far from "pulling up the drawbridge" by regaining our sovereignty from the dictats of the EU we will be free to pursue our own agendas.

We are the nation who ended slavery, fought and continue to fight against fascism and racism. I'll be in Manchester tomorrow, marching in protest against everything Johnson and his looney right stand for.

I will not however be protesting against democracy and the will of the people. Far from it, I will be supporting the international working class as we continue our efforts to bring equal opportunities for all global citizens, and kick out right wing governance run by corrupt cartels of extremist bigots here and everywhere.

We are the biggest buyer of German cars across Europe 59 I wander if Audi and BMW and Vw will levy us the same and stop us buying their cars , driving them further towards recession, it’s scare monger tactics and if they want to do it so be it,
    We’ll find out who does and orsnt want to trade - don’t forget the whole thing could implode any time soon and drop into the black hole it deserves to be in.

Merkel will be gone soon anyway and that will effect things as obviously she's been trying to control Europe for many years.

Another one with the snout in the trough...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...r39-ZVZTJdKJlw

Attachment 14000

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We live in a globalised world 1959_60.

The inequality across the globe is breathtakingly shocking.

Far from "pulling up the drawbridge" by regaining our sovereignty from the dictats of the EU we will be free to pursue our own agendas.

We are the nation who ended slavery, fought and continue to fight against fascism and racism. I'll be in Manchester tomorrow, marching in protest against everything Johnson and his looney right stand for.

I will not however be protesting against democracy and the will of the people. Far from it, I will be supporting the international working class as we continue our efforts to bring equal opportunities for all global citizens, and kick out right wing governance run by corrupt cartels of extremist bigots here and everywhere.
    I’m with you on the leave BT but Johnson to the right when your leader is anti Semitic, and an IRA and Hamas supporter is a bridge too far for me.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    I’m with you on the leave BT but Johnson to the right when your leader is anti Semitic, and an IRA and Hamas supporter is a bridge too far for me.
    I've sat and talked with JC twice, he's the nicest bloke you could ever wish to meet. Forget the IRA and Hamas, let's concentrate on the really important stuff, for example...

The Labour party will radically overhaul the “inhuman and cruel” Universal Credit programme and scrap benefit sanctions as part of new proposals to reform the social security system and reduce needless poverty.

The appalling Tory imposed five-week wait for a first Universal Credit payment, is largely responsible for deprivation, destitution, debt and the necessity for food banks will be reduced and phased out. The discriminatory benefit cap and two-child benefit limit will be also scrapped.

A Labour government promises to sweep away the current “punish and police” paradigm, currently operated by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

In its place will come a fresh approach to social security benefits, that treats all claimants with dignity and respect and will not be evocative of visiting a HMP prison visitor centre.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)