+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Big day in Parliament (Part 53)

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    The Lib Dem conference is over now but we are spending another night in Bournemouth.

Never since the Wembley play off final have I seen a group of people absolutely driven and fanatical about their cause.

Jo Swinson will make mincemeat of the other leaders believe me.

And what is anti democratic about offering policies via a general election manifesto? That's what all the other parties (except the Brexit Party) will do. If the public agree with the policies they will vote for them. If they don't then they won't. That is exactly what democracy is.
    If Labour offer a second referendum will they be anti democratic? Of course not. At a General Election a party has a clean slate to state their policies.
    Vote Lib Dem and we remain and it will end the hours and hours of debate in Parliament so that our politicians can finally get round to discussing the NHS, Education, Climate Change, Social Care etc etc.
    I'm at a loss, I really am. We have had a vote. We voted to leave. The Lib Dems did not and do not respect the result of the democratic vote. They are an anti-democracy political party. Paddy Ashdown will be turning in his grave.
    Scooping up a gaggle of used to be indecisive but now not so sure MP's is akin to BWFC scooping up a load of free transfers just to make the numbers up. They lost 6-1 on Saturday by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Does anyone other than a fanatical Lib Dem seriously believe a political party purporting to be "democratic" can win an election on a manifesto built around being anti-democratic? FFS get a grip.
    Amen to that one BT

It’s brilliant unless it’s reverse physc
    I mean it doesn’t matter ewhat the people say or want we’re doing our own thing and that’s that.
    To be fair BT if they’ve watched the other main two this last 3 years that’s all they’ve done without actually saying they’re doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Amen to that one BT

It’s brilliant unless it’s reverse physc
    I mean it doesn’t matter ewhat the people say or want we’re doing our own thing and that’s that.
    To be fair BT if they’ve watched the other main two this last 3 years that’s all they’ve done without actually saying they’re doing it.
    Tonight I am attending a strategy meeting for the Labour Party focussing on Brexit, it now seems clear to me that Jeremy Corbyn is positioning himself as the “honest broker” and will stay out of personal campaigning in the event of a second referendum on a Labour-negotiated Brexit deal.

Corbyn has long advocated the Labour Party negotiates an orderly Brexit. Taking this “middle ground strategy” allows him to pitch himself as the neutral referee who pledges to carry out whatever the public decides.

This distances the Labour Party from the “Remain without a vote,” malarkey advocated by Swinson’s Lib Dems and the “Brexit at any cost deal” backed by Boris Johnson, but still coincides with the will of the people.

Corbyn supports the idea of a new customs union with the EU; a close single market relationship with our closest trading neighbours and one that guarantees workers’ rights and encourages environmental protections via the EU constitution, but in the broader sense allows the UK to take back control in our own Parliament, as per the demands of the leave vote.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

Sounds like a plan to me.
    Sounds like a fudge to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Sounds like a fudge to me.
    It's the best anyone can come up with going to press sinkov. Over the weekend the bile we witnessed on the streets around Westminster was really quite astonishing.

Without any exaggeration whatsoever, men were actually coming to blows and the police did not intervene either!

There were eejits protesting against "fashion" and the effect on the climate, there were hundreds of women protesting against rape and domestic violence, all around Westminster opposite sides on Brexit were ranting and raving.

I'm glad to be back in Bolton for a bit of peace and quiet!

Aye BT, but Westminster, the media bubble, Twitter and Facebook are not the real world where normal people live.

There was a fine example on the day Boris announced he was proroguing parliament. SkyNews had tracked down some Tory MP in his Cornish home and told him he was the only person they could find who supported what Boris had done. The girl interviewing him seemed quite pleased that this was the case, almost chortling about it, but in reality it just illustrated the overwhelming media/Westminster bias towards Remain, when the circle a massive national news organisation like Sky operated in didn't contain anyone who would speak up for Brexit, and they had to go all the way down to Cornwall to find someone. Of course, if they had bothered to look, they would find there are at least 17.4 million people in the UK fully supportive of Boris's attempts to implement the democratically expressed will of the British people, but are as far as the media and the Libdems are concerned, we don't count, outside of their bubble they're hardly aware of our existence any more.

We have had this conversation before sinkov. I have said for years the right wing media and Facebook do not want Corbyn anywhere near Downing Street. The Remain faction are bonkers in my opinion, but for some reason the media are seemingly unable to report neutrally and without political bias or prejudice.
    My father-in-law reads the Express and Mail everyday and in political arguments with me (everyday!) he just espouses their headlines as being the gospel according to the right wing press barons.

I suspect there may be good reasons why so many don't want Corbyn in No 10 BT, and I'm one that doesn't, but the prospect doesn't worry or alarm me. I believe in democracy, if Labour win the GE and Corbyn is leader, then he takes up residence in No 10, and he'll be there because the people of this country put him there, which is fine by me. If he fecks up then he'll get turfed out at the next election, that's the way it works.

And on the subject of democracy, I believe in it so strongly that if any LibDem ever comes knocking on my door in future, he/she will be told that they have 10 seconds to get off my property or they'll be helped on their way by my boot up their arse. And I am not joking, I would relish the opportunity.

And on the subject of democracy, I believe in it so strongly that if any LibDem ever comes knocking on my door in future, he/she will be told that they have 10 seconds to get off my property or they'll be helped on their way by my boot up their arse. And I am not joking, I would relish the opportunity.
    well said Sinkov - I've actually extended my boot size to any who come to the door looking to manufacture my consent to their scummy social control exercise.

I suspect there may be good reasons why so many don't want Corbyn in No 10 BT, and I'm one that doesn't, but the prospect doesn't worry or alarm me. I believe in democracy, if Labour win the GE and Corbyn is leader, then he takes up residence in No 10, and he'll be there because the people of this country put him there, which is fine by me. If he fecks up then he'll get turfed out at the next election, that's the way it works.

So that offer of tea, crumpets and an argument is off then?

Our coalition is facing teething problems.....

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)