+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Big day in Parliament (Part 53)

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Well, we will know in the next couple of days if Boris has broken the law.

Whatever the outcome I trust that everyone will respect the decision of our highest court in the land - including Boris.
    You're not answering my question though 59, which law has he allegedly broken ? Perhaps you don't know either ? Also the Supreme Court is not the highest court in the land, I think you'll find that our Supreme Court is subservient (if that's the right word) to the European Court of Justice based in Luxembourg.

I would sincerely hope that this bunch of activist judges has more sense than to interfere in our political system but I'm not hopeful. Should they decide to get involved then Boris should try every trick in the book to nullify their interference. I voted to leave the EU so that the people running the UK are accountable to me and the electorate. I don't want unelected bureaucrats in Brussels running this country, nor do I want unelected judges sticking their oar in either. The court of public opinion is the place where Boris should be tried, it's called a general election, but for some reason Remoaners are afraid of the public verdict, they prefer to hide behind the skirts of unelected judges. Just what are you Remoaners afraid of 59 ?

Whatever our supreme court decides must be respected.
    Why ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    You're not answering my question though 59, which law has he allegedly broken ? Perhaps you don't know either ? Also the Supreme Court is not the highest court in the land, I think you'll find that our Supreme Court is subservient (if that's the right word) to the European Court of Justice based in Luxembourg.

I would sincerely hope that this bunch of activist judges has more sense than to interfere in our political system but I'm not hopeful. Should they decide to get involved then Boris should try every trick in the book to nullify their interference. I voted to leave the EU so that the people running the UK are accountable to me and the electorate. I don't want unelected bureaucrats in Brussels running this country, nor do I want unelected judges sticking their oar in either. The court of public opinion is the place where Boris should be tried, it's called a general election, but for some reason Remoaners are afraid of the public verdict, they prefer to hide behind the skirts of unelected judges. Just what are you Remoaners afraid of 59 ?
    First of all I am an old bloke from Morecambe. I don't profess to know if Boris has broken any laws.

Secondly this is a case for British courts and the ECJ have no say in it.

Thirdly you seem to be suggesting that you do not respect the law of the land. If our highest court in the land rule that Boris has broken the law then we must all accept it. You say that you don't want our judges to rule on matters of law?

Just read back what you have written and then tell it to all the victims of crime, and good luck with that.

If you don't then can we all pick and choose which laws we break? Or is this option only open to Prime Ministers?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Why ?
    You and BT appear to be anarchists.

Vive la revolution!

It's a good job you two are my mates or I fear I may end up strung up from a lamp post.

First of all I am an old bloke from Morecambe. I don't profess to know if Boris has broken any laws.

Secondly this is a case for British courts and the ECJ have no say in it.

Thirdly you seem to be suggesting that you do not respect the law of the land. If our highest court in the land rule that Boris has broken the law then we must all accept it. You say that you don't want our judges to rule on matters of law?

Just read back what you have written and then tell it to all the victims of crime, and good luck with that.

If you don't then can we all pick and choose which laws we break? Or is this option only open to Prime Ministers?
    I ask you again what law has Boris broken, and you can't tell me, and you can't tell me because he hasn't broken any law, if he had he'd be in the dock. To prorogue parliament is a political decision, it may be a controversial political decision but nevertheless it's a standard parliamentary procedure, which if the judges have any sense they will leave in the domain of politicians where it belongs.

I have no problem with the rule of law, I'm quite happy to live under it, what I will not accept is living under the rule of unelected judges. This is none of their business.

Vive la revolution!

It's a good job you two are my mates or I fear I may end up strung up from a lamp post.
    If it were owt to do with me 59, all LibDems would have been dangling from lamp posts years ago, but as you say you're my mate so I'd have made an exception for you, I'd just prorogue you.

Here is one judge who has some sense 59,

"Lord Doherty rejected their claim, saying it was for Parliament and the electorate to judge the Prime Minister’s actions rather than the courts. The judge said: “In my view, the advice given in relation to the prorogation decision is a matter involving high policy and political judgement. This is political territory and decision making which cannot be measured against legal standards, but only by political judgements. Accountability for the advice is to parliament, and ultimately the electorate - not to the courts.” He said his opinion was therefore that there had been “no contravention of the rule of law” by the prime minister."

You'll note that he said it was 'his opinion', his colleagues in the Supreme Court may well be of a different opinion, I suspect they will, but that's all it is, the opinion of some highly paid, politically motivated lawyers.

And you talk about this as though it's anarchy v rule of law, well prorogation is a parliamentary procedure, and to question parliamentary procedures in court is explicitly forbidden by Article Nine of the Bill of Rights 1689, so just who are the anarchists in this case, and who is on the side of the law ?

Vive la revolution!

Don't worry 1959_60, we have other plans for you...

Attachment 13946

Oh i say, that is awfully unfair chaps.

Oh i say, that is awfully unfair chaps.
    Never mind awfully unfair, just bring your own head basket...

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)