+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burton tonight

Burton tonight

Anyone going? I am. I know a lot of people are still angry about Premier League clubs being involved and I agree with them. However, I'm still an Alex fan and giving my support is important.
    So, I'll be there cheering on a 2-1 win. We need a cup run, even a Wembley appearance- who knows? COYR!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Anyone going? I am. I know a lot of people are still angry about Premier League clubs being involved and I agree with them. However, I'm still an Alex fan and giving my support is important.
    So, I'll be there cheering on a 2-1 win. We need a cup run, even a Wembley appearance- who knows? COYR!
    Watched on iFollow for a tenner and what a waste of money. That first half could have been 0-6. Dunno what was going on with Jones and Finney they were non-existent in midfield and with Burton pressing we couldn't get past the edge of our box let alone the half way line...trying to play out from the back wasn't working either as Burton pressed very high and with our lack of height there wasn't really a plan B. Kirk, Ainley and Anene very poor too. Artell has rolled out the b*llockings as some of these guys seemingly banging his door down for game time. Triple sub improved things a lot and will send a message out to fringe players I'm sure.

Anene...what did he do? I think Lewis Reilly would have done a better job. Suppose got to allow time to settle though but he was decent against Villa when he came on there.

I do worry about James Jones. Seemingly his last injury was nearly a career-ender and might go some way to explaining why he hasn't kicked on but then he has had some very good games since but just few and far between.

Positives, Adebisi showed up very well again. He is a solid defender and so many times he was there mopping up crosses. For someone so inexperienced he anticipates and reads the game well. Good wee assist for the goal too. We looked really strong down the left in that second half with him at LB, Pickering LM and Kirk at LW.

Did it look any better from the stand Gazan???

Not really. One of our strengths this has been the movement in midfield. It was missing in the first half and reminded me of last season. However, it's all very well DA criticising the middle three but who put them there? It was naive, to say the least, to replace the whole of midfield. Surely you change personnel without upsetting the rythmn of things. Jones and Finney both looked lost and were looking over their shoulders at players who had left them standing.
    Further, playing out from the back is desirable but shouldn't be a dogmatic choice. Too many times players put other players under pressure in silly places. This is what led to the first goal.
    I too am worried about Jonah. He looks a tenth of the player he was before injury. I hope DA is doing something about it

A fair point as I don't think Finney or Jones can play the deep midfield role that Wintle fulfills...the team was more balanced in the 2nd half with him back on the pitch. There were some silly passes at times but for the first goal I feel Jones had time on the ball but didn't show enough awareness he takes a poor touch, turns and runs right into their centre forward. Don't think either of them were aggressive enough or offered any protection to the defence.

I think tonight did show that Artell only has his usual starting 11 and a couple of the subs to rely on the rest appear to be a long way short of what is required, a bad run of injuries like we have seen in the last couple of seasons could see us in dire trouble. I do hope Jones and Ainley can get back to the levels they have shown they are capable of, although Ainley was the best of a bad bunch in midfield 1st half Tuesday.

Well for me the first half was unbelievable. Goalkicks were awful.. Jones was dire, Ainley was poor, and Finney did not show up.. The display made you squirm.

Read other posts with usual interest. What does surprise me there was very little in way of comments re the second half.. The three subs transformed the team. With Wintle at RM, Green at CM and Pickering at LM in my view the second half display was the best I have seen our team for at least a year. Wintle and Pickering were excellent and Green backed them up. We were a well balanced team attacking on both sides. The whole team was making a contribution. It was obvious our players were enjoying the was the game was flowing. No player was hiding, they all wanted to be a part of it. Sadly I believe that the second half midfield will not continue. I firmly believe it should.

Man of the match has to be based on the second half. Wintle possibly edged it, But there could have been an honest call for Pickering. Also if you pefereed a more attacking player it would be Kirk, With Dale not far behind. Shows exactly what a good team display it was.

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    Well for me the first half was unbelievable. Goalkicks were awful.. Jones was dire, Ainley was poor, and Finney did not show up.. The display made you squirm.

Read other posts with usual interest. What does surprise me there was very little in way of comments re the second half.. The three subs transformed the team. With Wintle at RM, Green at CM and Pickering at LM in my view the second half display was the best I have seen our team for at least a year. Wintle and Pickering were excellent and Green backed them up. We were a well balanced team attacking on both sides. The whole team was making a contribution. It was obvious our players were enjoying the was the game was flowing. No player was hiding, they all wanted to be a part of it. Sadly I believe that the second half midfield will not continue. I firmly believe it should.

Man of the match has to be based on the second half. Wintle possibly edged it, But there could have been an honest call for Pickering. Also if you pefereed a more attacking player it would be Kirk, With Dale not far behind. Shows exactly what a good team display it was.
    And Lowery?

And Lowery? Should he have been man of the match even though he did not play LOL. Is it now not permitted to give credit to other Crewe players when they put in an excellent performance? And when they do put in that excellent performance is it not correct to give those same players the opportunity to repeat the high standards

I appreciate there should be a few changes such as Lancaster, Powell, Porter, and the goaie, but sorry that midfield should stay.. They should be given their chance.

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    And Lowery? Should he have been man of the match even though he did not play LOL. Is it now not permitted to give credit to other Crewe players when they put in an excellent performance? And when they do put in that excellent performance is it not correct to give those same players the opportunity to repeat the high standards

But when a player is rested who has been our best midfielder, (Lowery) shouldn't he go straight back into the team? By your logic, if we had won with Jones, Finney and Ainley in midfield by 2-3 goals, they should start on Saturday?

Clearly Pickering will revert to LB and Lowery return - and rightly so.

It seems to me that the basic problem is we have plenty of midfielders to play just in front of Wintle (Green, Lowery, Pixie, Ainley and others) but if Wintle is missing then there isn’t anyone to step up; maybe Perry could take that on? Similarly we have plenty of options wide up front (Kirk, Powell, Dale, Ainley again) but I am concerned that if Porter is unavailable that Anene won’t be up to it - I will be delighted to be proved wrong.

I’m also happy with the Back 4 with a settled first team selection and a healthy mix of youth and experience on the bench. GK concerns me - Trigger hasn’t covered himself with glory (so reports suggest as I haven’t been at any of his matches) although Will seems to be improving - big game for the No 2 at sunny Grimsby tomorrow.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast