+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ardley's Excuses

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMike View Post
    We know where the constant hiring and firing of managers over the last ten years has got us.
    The constant firings were an inevitable by-product of having rubbish owners - who are the real reason we are where we are, under whom decent managers (such as Allen) stood no chance. If they'd stuck with some of the previous managers, we'd have almost certainly been relegated to this level much sooner.

Watford, who've had one of their most successful decades ever, have just started a new season with the same manager for the first time in 9 years or something like that and have had their worst start in all of that time.

We know where the constant hiring and firing of managers over the last ten years has got us. None league football.
    While that can't be denied, the counter argument is where does sticking with a manager who isn't very good get you? We did it with McParland and only cashed in on the fantastic squad he was gifted once he'd been given the boot. There seems to be this theory that if we give Ardley long enough, he will eventually turn into a good manager. I could go along with that if I saw signs that he was improving things, but basically all I've seen since day one is an endless repeat of uninspired performances. I fully realise that he hasn't had it easy, but he's just not shown me anything to suggest that he is the solution to our problems.

Stats are particularly difficult to rely on in the area of sacking managers and can be skewed by various factors but I recall some report not too long ago that said the average tenure of a manager in this country now amounted to something like only 1.23 years.

Notts have traditionally not covered themselves in glory in this area for many a long year but I am not convinced they are vastly different to average figures for professional clubs. It's not a great state of affairs generally in the game I would tend to agree and tend that more patience is required by clubs and fans alike and would be beneficial in all sorts of ways. I wouldn't make the assumption that Notts are so different from other clubs though. Indeed, there's even one situated on a few hundred metres away with arguably a similar record of managerial appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    There seems to be this theory that if we give Ardley long enough, he will eventually turn into a good manager. I could go along with that if I saw signs that he was improving things, but basically all I've seen since day one is an endless repeat of uninspired performances. I fully realise that he hasn't had it easy, but he's just not shown me anything to suggest that he is the solution to our problems.
    I would love to be able to debate this but cannot because basically, I agree with every single word of it, much as though I'd love to say different.

There's plenty of managers out there working for difficult or uncooperative owners but have "had a pre-season". Would Ardley want to swap places with them?

How many managers are working in a perfect environment where all of the players are best buds, the stadium is just the right size, the fans are 100% positive and behind the manager, money is always available, nobody gets injured, nobody gets suspended, unwanted players are happy to overlook their contract and sign for another club, wanted players are not tempted to go elsewhere, every refereeing decision goes for you, every opponent allows you to play your own game........

While that can't be denied, the counter argument is where does sticking with a manager who isn't very good get you? We did it with McParland and only cashed in on the fantastic squad he was gifted once he'd been given the boot. There seems to be this theory that if we give Ardley long enough, he will eventually turn into a good manager. I could go along with that if I saw signs that he was improving things, but basically all I've seen since day one is an endless repeat of uninspired performances. I fully realise that he hasn't had it easy, but he's just not shown me anything to suggest that he is the solution to our problems.
    Im getting to the point where i'm going to give up pointing out his stats and just watch how low the Ardley backers will let things go before the last one gives up on him ,morbid curiosity is getting the better of me.
    As with most i'd love to have it shoved back in my face as he turns it round and makes us competetive but i just don't see it happening based on......well his entire managerial career

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    I hope he doesn't try to weld them, some of them would melt if they stood too close to a radiator on low.

Rather than "excuses" maybe we could all cut our manager a bit of slack and let him manage the team? Its far too early to be judging him.

I honestly think that over a season, we should be challenging for promotion, but its still very early days. We know where the constant hiring and firing of managers over the last ten years has got us. None league football. Okay, I know there are many other factors, but its a big part. Hopefully our new owners have more sense the the previous two regimes.
    Too early???

The man took us OUT OF THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE with 8 players whom he signed in January. Why are people so forgiving of this?! It's like it never happened?

We have had some dross owners and managers in the past, who operated in terrible circumstances...but Ardley is the only one who can claim this title, despite being backed significantly by Hardy.

Macclesfield would have loved the players he signed in Jan.

We went down with a whimper. It was pathetic. He didn't motivate his players, didn't get them battling and played awful football. Early signs this season show that we should expect more of the same under this manager.

But let's not also forget that when he arrived, Wimbledon were rooted to the bottom of League One. They subsequently went on to save themselves when they hired a proper manager. Ardley is on a massive downward spiral and has forgotten how to win. His only promotion came off the back of sneaking into the playoffs in 7th place. His teams have done absolutely nothing since.

Some of you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Getsmart View Post
    It’s not like NA built up any good will, he didn’t do a Sol Campbell for instance, he doesn’t seem to get more out of his players. Seems we need the strongest squad just to compete, and saying that did we really need a new right back?!?
    This is so true. The sign of a good manager is the ability to get more out of players, and to make the team greater than the sum of its parts. Ardley has never done this during his time at Notts. We've always had some decent individual players, but no coherent plan, tactics, or style of play. His teams seem to be far less than the sum of their parts.

You get the feeling that he could manage the best team in the league and take them to midtable finish - and worse still, think that that's a success.

I get the feeling if he managed two thirds of the teams in this division, he'd relegate them. If he managed the other third, which includes Notts, he'd manage midtable. I doubt there's a single team in the division that he could turn into title contenders.

This. He's got his players time for results. At the start of this season I gave him till October to plant us into the top half of the table. August hasn't been good enough points wise so he has September to kick on. If we aren't in the top ten then he should leave. Our problem as a club isn't the firing it's the hiring. Too many folk accept mediocrity and excuses. Comparing us to Bury's situation does nothing ie could've had no club this season etc. Well we fortunately have a club so crack on. Onwards and upwards.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast