+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Supporting In A Different Way

Supporting In A Different Way

Witnessing how two local, rival football team supporters behave, suggests we have it all wrong in Great Britain. - External Link

Thanks Dave, but the barstewards are still getting it...

Attachment 13830

Thanks Dave. It is always good to watch football in other countries and enjoy the experience which is sometimes as you experienced but can be otherwise.

As far as your truce with Blackburn Rovers is concerned, I am with you on that, having been born into a house where my dad had a season ticket at the Clarets and my mum had one at the Rovers. Your experience in the Basque country is very similar to football in the UK when I first went in 1952 and which continued until the late 60s.

interesting read Dave....seems like you had a great time / experience.

as for the healthy rivalry.....I'd guess it's helped along with both teams being Basque - joined within the Basque culture , Basque traditions, language...etc etc - then historically, there's the battles during the civil war - the continued nationalism and fight for independence - So, perhaps if Lancashire sought autonomy from the rest of the U.K - and suffered in it....then, things could change.

Two suggested songs please? One for us and one for Rovers fans.

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Two suggested songs please? One for us and one for Rovers fans.
    "You'll always be a barsteward" for us.

"Dingle bells, dingle bells, dingles all the way" for the barstewards.

I think it helps that there isn't the same 'drink culture' in countries like Spain and France, fans don't feel the need to sink ten pints before going to a game. Having said that it can be like WW3 in France when PSG play Marseille.

Mrng guys. Interesting this one as I'v been wondering for years why there's such vitriol and antagonism at Derby matches. I'm all for healthy rivalry but the stuff that goes on (mostly fuelled by alcohol) is beyond belief. Ripping up seats, smashing up toilets etc.(and faces!)
    I'm sure that the team most of us support is the one our Dad's and Grandad's supported and we just picked up the mantle. I would no doubt have been supporting Stanley as an Accringtonian, had they not gone out of business (I saw one game before the demise). Then I went to Burnley with my friend and her Dad instead.

In fact when Burnley played Stanley in the Carabao Cup the other season, I can honestly say I wasn't fussed which team won that day.
    As I clapped Stanley's winning goal, a Burnley supporter near me gave me a mouthful of abuse and stormed off. Stanley fully deserved that win and I was happy to watch a match well won.

I am a fervent Burnley supporter as all my friends will testify but wish no harm to any other club or their supporters.

Interesting Fantastic51

As a Rishton schoolboy I was training as a 15 year old at Accy Stanley. If I remember Les Cocker came over to us and said ''do this ,do that etc, ''they went bust ,it was then seeing all this I proclaimed ,''Ah, there is no money in football'' and that was the beginning of my world travels........maybe all because of old Accy Stanley??

Quote Originally Posted by frantastic51 View Post
    Mrng guys. Interesting this one as I'v been wondering for years why there's such vitriol and antagonism at Derby matches. I'm all for healthy rivalry but the stuff that goes on (mostly fuelled by alcohol) is beyond belief. Ripping up seats, smashing up toilets etc.(and faces!)
    I'm sure that the team most of us support is the one our Dad's and Grandad's supported and we just picked up the mantle. I would no doubt have been supporting Stanley as an Accringtonian, had they not gone out of business (I saw one game before the demise). Then I went to Burnley with my friend and her Dad instead.

In fact when Burnley played Stanley in the Carabao Cup the other season, I can honestly say I wasn't fussed which team won that day.
    As I clapped Stanley's winning goal, a Burnley supporter near me gave me a mouthful of abuse and stormed off. Stanley fully deserved that win and I was happy to watch a match well won.

I am a fervent Burnley supporter as all my friends will testify but wish no harm to any other club or their supporters.
    Well said Frantastic

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)