+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Doncaster Rovers Post Match Thoughts

Said it before on this board , the three promoted teams last season played very expansive offensive football and the teams who missed out were more cautious , Sunderland were the prime example , hardly lost a game but had 20 draws .

You can play a higher risk style of football because the quality of the finishing in league one is pretty average .

i would also give Arnason a call. The greatest player to ever wear the shirt is no wall flower and a tactical genius.

He would give these players hell for their performances this year.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    i would also give Arnason a call. The greatest player to ever wear the shirt is no wall flower and a tactical genius.

He would give these players hell for their performances this year.
    have you been on the wacky baccy you ****ing idiot

Would Arneson be a defensive coach by any chance?

I've held off, hoping I'd calm down a little and be able to find reason and give a more measured reaction. But I've not calmed down. Losing to Doncaster now officially bothers me more than losing to Wednesday. I got that same jagged feeling inside when that penalty went in, as when Wednesday equalised in the 178th minute last season, but perhaps more so, because A) we lost, and the result actually means a lot to Donny fans.

We accepted these kind of games and results last season because we were a division higher, we were up against some real quality and showed some real spirit and endeavour. But it won't be accepted in L1. So far we've gained a scrappy win at relegation certainties Wimbledon, and a lucky win at Burton. There are some lively teams at this level going by the highlights and we're not one of them.

Next up: a rejuvinated and much strengthened Bolton, riding a wave of euphoria. I fear the worst.

I thought that the game was played at speed and with more good close passing than we've seen in a league one game for a long time from both teams.
    The midfield was packed with energy from both sides with tackles flying in but with a lot of fouls going unpunished. The one thing I would say that did make the difference in the end was experience because apart from Macdonald we didn't have any.

The defence was ok yesterday but the gap in front of them especially in the second half cost us. They were able to drift past ur midfield and put us on the back foot especially with Wiles taking over the holding job. I'm not saying that he's not capable but he doesn't have the experiance needed for that position.

Positives
    Price did well with some good saves - a good number 2 without doubt becaue he can't kick the ball with his left foot.
    The energy in midfield for the first half was great and will get better
    The passing and battle was excellant int first half
    Hastie looks like a mister and is a great addition

Negatives
    The gap between the defence and midfield was too big in the second half which allowed them to get through us too often
    Mattock coming on and told to go into a midfield 5 was crazy. Warne actually said 3-5-2 for the last 10 minutes.
    The referee was pour again

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    I've held off, hoping I'd calm down a little and be able to find reason and give a more measured reaction. But I've not calmed down. Losing to Doncaster now officially bothers me more than losing to Wednesday. I got that same jagged feeling inside when that penalty went in, as when Wednesday equalised in the 178th minute last season, but perhaps more so, because A) we lost, and the result actually means a lot to Donny fans.

We accepted these kind of games and results last season because we were a division higher, we were up against some real quality and showed some real spirit and endeavour. But it won't be accepted in L1. So far we've gained a scrappy win at relegation certainties Wimbledon, and a lucky win at Burton. There are some lively teams at this level going by the highlights and we're not one of them.

Next up: a rejuvinated and much strengthened Bolton, riding a wave of euphoria. I fear the worst.
    I'm feeling the same pain, losing to Doncaster hurts a lot because to me they are more our natural rival. If they got relegated they'd still be happy with the season because they'd beaten us.

Not much to add really, I've kept optimism so far by saying we've got a lot of good new recruits that need to gel as a team. I'm still clinging to that hope and think it will all fall into place, but can't still be saying this by October.

You forgot to mention the Keith Hill at NYS effect for the Bolton game too!

Can we hold off with the tar and feathering for a few more matches?. Seven points out of fif****, an average start with almost a new team, and early season injuries.
    Sounds like we edged the first hour, but failed to kill them off. Our old failing of conceding late goals, has come back to haunt us. All the experts say wait for ten games to make a judgement, and that's what I'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    Can we hold off with the tar and feathering for a few more matches?. Seven points out of fif****, an average start with almost a new team, and early season injuries.
    Sounds like we edged the first hour, but failed to kill them off. Our old failing of conceding late goals, has come back to haunt us. All the experts say wait for ten games to make a judgement, and that's what I'll do.
    A lot of sense in that, let’s see what happens.

Interesting you mention it being a new team, our next game is against a very new team

With cup games and friendlies we've had way more than ten games though.
    A lot of these problems, not all though, should have been ironed out before the first league match.
    Donk have also lost players and not signed many. A few of our fans seem to be blaming our form because we've signed too many new players

Having said that I've every confidence PW will have sorted it by the tenth league match.
    Disappointing so far but onwards and upwards literally.
    3-1 vs Bolton and a first home win
    Last edited by flourbasher; 08-09-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast