+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scottish Challenge Cup

Scottish Challenge Cup

Noticed that Solihull Moors are 1-0 down at Kelty Hearts at half time. How do you qualify for this competition?

I think they invite a few 'outsiders' each year. Seem to remember The New Saints playing in it a while ago.

There are a couple of Welsh teams playing today but I only saw Solihull from the glamour league (just noticed Wrexham as i write), but I include them as english if you get my drift

Wrexham are also in it. Think teams in NL play offs are invited not sure how many tho

Hope we have the sense to turn it down if ever invited, there are U20 teams in it and if you're having to miss early league fixtures it's definitely a bad idea.

Anybody missing the League Cup? There should only be one cup competition as far as I'm concerned and that's the FA Cup but it makes sense for non-league to have an additional tournament and I suspect we'll have no choice but to take the FA Vase seriously this season as our best hope for success.

It's the FA Trophy (steps 1-4). The Vase is for step 5 and below

Quote Originally Posted by LEPiePie View Post
    It's the FA Trophy (steps 1-4). The Vase is for step 5 and below
    Right, so we could meet somebody from the 9th tier of the pyramid. Can't remember us ever playing anybody lower than the 7th in the FA Cup. I trust we'll never have to play in the FA Vase then!!!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Right, so we could meet somebody from the 9th tier of the pyramid. Can't remember us ever playing anybody lower than the 7th in the FA Cup. I trust we'll never have to play in the FA Vase then!!!
    Newcastle Town were in the 8th tier when we played them in 1996/7. I’m not sure about Shildon in 2003/4 - but they were in the Northern League and I think this was also 8th tier.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Hope we have the sense to turn it down if ever invited, there are U20 teams in it and if you're having to miss early league fixtures it's definitely a bad idea.

Anybody missing the League Cup? There should only be one cup competition as far as I'm concerned and that's the FA Cup but it makes sense for non-league to have an additional tournament and I suspect we'll have no choice but to take the FA Vase seriously this season as our best hope for success.
    Yes, I'm missing the League Cup. Although we seemed very good at losing in the first round. Had plenty of glamour ties over the years. The 4-4- draw losing on penalties at the Temple of Sin springs to mind.

To answer the question to highest 2 teams in the Vanarama that do not go up qualify for the invitation to play in the competition and then have to accept it.