+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Devanha Red View Post
    This country would be better off if drink was banned. I don't know why the Scots in particular have such a problem with controlling their intake but surely the best way to tackle the out of control problem with alcoholism is to remove alcohol from the shelves.
    load of pish

It's true I've raised a glass with like minded decent chaps on the riviera many a time but I still think it would benefit this country if teetotalism was forced upon the people regardless.

SF
    load of pish

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    Deary me I've heard a lot of pish in my time but that is right up there with the best of them !!!
    So there isn't a massive problem with alcohol in scotland?

Or is it just that you don't care about other folks plight as long as you can have a drink to help blot out the misery of your own existence.

That's a large part of why society is in the mess it is today. Nobody gives a **** about others. It's all about self. I blame Thatcher. That's where it all started or at least when it started to get a lot worse.

It's true I've raised a glass with like minded decent chaps on the riviera many a time but I still think it would benefit this country if teetotalism was forced upon the people regardless.

SF
    Why don’t we just go full hog and gas the drinkers. No point mucking about.

Obviously the alcohol ban would have to be done in tandem with a major drugs crackdown.

Done in isolation it wouldn't have the full desired effect.

Obviously the alcohol ban would have to be done in tandem with a major drugs crackdown.

Done in isolation it wouldn't have the full desired effect.
    Probably best to start with whatever you've been taking.

I agree with D Red alcohol is a big problem in Scotland. To many people abuse it' and then there is alcoholism.

But there will never be a ban on it

This country would be better off if drink was banned. I don't know why the Scots in particular have such a problem with controlling their intake but surely the best way to tackle the out of control problem with alcoholism is to remove alcohol from the shelves.

They tried that in America in the 20s. Didn't solve anything and created a lot more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    My Dad always used to say 'I've never met a poor bookie'.
    Aye - very true.

Saw a stat recently that said the bookies in the UK (Online / betting shops etc) made something like £14 billion in profits last year - aye, nae million - BILLION.

The wifey that runs Bet365 got paid something like £250million in salary/bonuses etc last year - that was just her!!

No wonder the government dinna want to clamp down - that some amount of coin in taxes to them inna. Mind you maist of them base themselves in Gibralter or wherever to aviod paying any f'uckin tax too.

Aye - its a f'uckin mugs game right enough. A modest affordable flutter now & then fine - I dinna do it but each to their own - but too many folk canna keep it at that leve & its utterly ruinous in those situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    load of pish
    Dinna bite min...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast