+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PM Johnson in name....

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    The former Irish prime minister and joint architect of the Northern Ireland peace process Bertie Ahern has said it is imperative that any Brexit solution be acceptable to the Democratic Unionist party.

His intervention is a rare warning by a prominent politician in the Republic of Ireland that imposing a deal not supported by the DUP, such as one with a Northern-Ireland-only backstop, would imperil a lasting solution.

Ahern said the principle of “parity of esteem”, one of the core stated values of the 1998 Good Friday agreement, was not just for nationalists and anything that was not backed by both communities in Northern Ireland would be doomed to failure.
    A Northern Ireland-only backstop: what is it and will anyone go for it?
    Read more

“Any solution has to include the unionist people because parity of esteem in the Good Friday agreement is both sides; to do a deal through Europe with Britain that creates a problem for the unionist community and will be rejected by the English nationalists in the Commons – that’s not really an option,” he said.

Ahern’s comments came as the DUP leader, Arlene Foster, demanded a meeting with Boris Johnson amid fears he is prepared to back a Northern-Ireland-only backstop, which her party rejected in 2017.
    Too much mind boggling detail for me there Dub.

What I will say though is that the tail has been wagging the dog with all this “Backstop” stuff for months now and if it wasn’t for the DUP’s votes being required previously ( not now ) then Northern Ireland would’ve been thrown under the bus a year or more ago.

If they can’t concoct this border in the Irish Sea idea then I’d stake my house on Norn Iron being told to “suck it up”.

Arlene Foster has lost her bargaining power.

It’s politics Dub......they will throw them under the bus if no deal is to be avoided and we all know it.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Too much mind boggling detail for me there Dub.

What I will say though is that the tail has been wagging the dog with all this “Backstop” stuff for months now and if it wasn’t for the DUP’s votes being required previously ( not now ) then Northern Ireland would’ve been thrown under the bus a year or more ago.

If they can’t concoct this border in the Irish Sea idea then I’d stake my house on Norn Iron being told to “suck it up”.

Arlene Foster has lost her bargaining power.

It’s politics Dub......they will throw them under the bus if no deal is to be avoided and we all know it.
    I think he will resign now....Stall a new leader for a week or two.......not seek an extension...and attempt to fall over the line with a no deal now...
    His Kingship looks doomed and his Queen has been left exposed by her Pm and his terrible legal/advisors team.... Quite the mess it would seem

I think he will resign now....Stall a new leader for a week or two.......not seek an extension...and attempt to fall over the line with a no deal now...
    His Kingship looks doomed and his Queen has been left exposed by her Pm and his terrible legal/advisors team.... Quite the mess it would seem

Think it will be the opposite - he will come out fighting and for sure he’s got more balls than the slimy Irish PM whose always up Macrons arse cheeks!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Think it will be the opposite - he will come out fighting and for sure he’s got more balls than the slimy Irish PM whose always up Macrons arse cheeks!
    Come out fighting from where? Where is he? In a bunker under Number 10?
    No...he is over in the UN...getting support from possibly the only leader on the planet who is a bigger liar then your PM....President Trump.....
    Yeah....two liars sitting side by side......looks great...

Come out fighting from where? Where is he? In a bunker under Number 10?
    No...he is over in the UN...getting support from possibly the only leader on the planet who is a bigger liar then your PM....President Trump.....
    Yeah....two liars sitting side by side......looks great...

He may say the odd lie but who doesn't, but Blair needs to take some blame for sending armed forces to their deaths through an illegal war - Corbyn lies with every breath, he's anti Jewish and loves to cozy up to terrorists, where our Jo the sixth form equivalent is a hypocrite.

Don't get me going on Leo Varadkar who creeps around Macron like a fly on ****! Bet pride gets good publicity in Ireland with our Leo

He may say the odd lie but who doesn't, but Blair needs to take some blame for sending armed forces to their deaths through an illegal war - Corbyn lies with every breath, he's anti Jewish and loves to cozy up to terrorists, where our Jo the sixth form equivalent is a hypocrite.

Don't get me going on Leo Varadkar who creeps around Macron like a fly on ****! Bet pride gets good publicity in Ireland with our Leo
    Varadkar is another political Nomark who makes my blood boil.

Ireland.......forever under the thumb of the EU after the financial crisis of 2008 at which point you could buy a property in Ireland for a Mars Bar!

We’ve spent three plus years dancing on the head of a pin due to the centuries old issues in that region.

Varadkar is another political Nomark who makes my blood boil.

Ireland.......forever under the thumb of the EU after the financial crisis of 2008 at which point you could buy a property in Ireland for a Mars Bar!

We’ve spent three plus years dancing on the head of a pin due to the centuries old issues in that region.

Totally agree Mick! Guinness is their claim to fame although it makes me vomit 🤮

It was always going to come down to this Mick..........before ye hit your self destruct button three years ago....we already had an idea what the end game was......
    Just what did you expect?
    I know the referendum had a vote yes or no box.... and nothing else.......simple. But what did you think was going to happen?
    You voted to bring in a border on the island of Ireland. Yes...I know you will say you didn't but you did....cause that was the inevitable outcome after the vote. What else did you expect?
    Could it be that just like some of your political elite over there...you didn't realize the trading border was going to become a visible border? The old issues over here had a degree of being dealt with through the hard work done under the good Friday agreement based on consent.agreed by the UK Government,the Irish Government and the USA.
    It has brought a much better atmosphere and peace to the region....
    It was a painstaking negotiation conducted by all involved with a much improved life experience for the people there.
    BREXIT quite rightly is very upsetting to both sides of the divide because the seamless border has allowed for a remarkable change on this whole Island......
    With border post...I remember them well.....you could be hours waiting to cross over from one jurisdiction to another.
    So while it may mean nothing to the mainland UK.....the Backstop is important over here......and any PM over here knows it........

Totally agree Mick! Guinness is their claim to fame although it makes me vomit ��
    Interesting post............

It was always going to come down to this Mick..........before ye hit your self destruct button three years ago....we already had an idea what the end game was......
    Just what did you expect?
    I know the referendum had a vote yes or no box.... and nothing else.......simple. But what did you think was going to happen?
    You voted to bring in a border on the island of Ireland. Yes...I know you will say you didn't but you did....cause that was the inevitable outcome after the vote. What else did you expect?
    Could it be that just like some of your political elite over there...you didn't realize the trading border was going to become a visible border? The old issues over here had a degree of being dealt with through the hard work done under the good Friday agreement based on consent.agreed by the UK Government,the Irish Government and the USA.
    It has brought a much better atmosphere and peace to the region....
    It was a painstaking negotiation conducted by all involved with a much improved life experience for the people there.
    BREXIT quite rightly is very upsetting to both sides of the divide because the seamless border has allowed for a remarkable change on this whole Island......
    With border post...I remember them well.....you could be hours waiting to cross over from one jurisdiction to another.
    So while it may mean nothing to the mainland UK.....the Backstop is important over here......and any PM over here knows it........
    We should be able to leave without all this b o l l o x.

I actually agree that a “backstop” was required but that in reality there was almost a nil % chance it would ever be invoked.

The whole situation is less than ideal but let’s be totally honest......if theTory’s has got a large majority Northern Ireland would’ve been thrown to the wolves.

It still might be.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)