+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any changes for the millwall game?

I honestly think you are expecting too much, Champs.
    We are a middling team from a small, economically poor Northern town. We are unlikely to have multiple, class players.
    Corry Evans makes one mistake in 90 minutes in an international game against one of the world's top ten teams, and you suggest that proves he's not good enough for us! Seriously? What - we only want players who NEVER make an error?
    As for Bennett, he was much steadier than Lenihan and Cunningham against West Brom, and when the goal came down his flank, it was Lenihan at fault - not him.
    No, I wouldn't pick him at full-back myself, but I still think he should be judged on each actual performance - rather than on the back of some generalisation about his overall "poorness". When he plays better than someone who is generally the superior player, that should be recognised. Otherwise, we are going back to the approach that plagued Keith Andrews. Even when he had a good game, his critics among the fans couldn't bring themselves to admit it.
    And I certainly wouldn't pick Dack for captain. He sometimes struggles to think for himself - let alone on behalf of other people!
    Graham played a full 90 in the LSC last night, and he apparently put 100% into the game. He obviously volunteered to play because he recognised he hasn't been at his best so far. That is exactly the kind of attitude we want.
    I think we should wait for at least another month before we start to draw conclusions about how this campaign is going to pan out. Our start has been moderate, but not disastrous. To be honest, if it's anything like last season (for us and numerous other clubs), one match doesn't bear much relation to the next, in any case! Results were often up and down like yo-yos in 2018-19.
    And if we WIN our next two games, it won't mean we are suddenly be heading for glory either.

I do agree. That's why we get no fans. It's a very poor town. Alot of it is unemployed.
    But so is Burnley. And they aren't owned by anyone as rich as Venkys. And get similar crowds (once you take away support out of the equation) and they manage to stay up. And get up. Three times since Prem started Burnley, spending nothing, have managed to go up. That's a poor town too. Not bankrolled.
    While I totally agree Blackburn is a very poor town. Does that mean we just accept this is it? Not sure I can go along with that. Not everything has to be achieved by spending millions. Which is the only way we got up. Twice.

Bennett- you wouldn't start him. I wouldn't. I don't know anyone that would. Apart from Rovers manager. I think that's just best left as it is.

I like Evans. I'm not slagging him off. He's never let us down. I think we have slightly improved on him in the players brought in. But if he steps in, he won't let us down.
    Is he creative? No.
    Will we push on with him? No.
    Is he the type that will help us improve? No, I think we can do better.
    Our midfield is absolutely crying out for some creativity. And between all of them, but one has the core ability. Lots of blokes all doing the same things.
    That also wasn't a world class German side. They are quite a way behind England. And I don't rate England that much. Thet smash poor sides. They will lose to anyone decent.
    All I said was I learnt nothing from Evans game. I knew he was okay. I knew he'd make life tough for them. But alas, it wasn't quite good enough. I don't think that's unfair?

Graham has been really poor so far. Way way beneath his best. I don't mind that turned out in that last night. Shows he cares. Hopefully he gets up to speed. He's been bloody awful so far. And I'm questioning why? ....He's started games being so poor? And so far off the pace. Hopefully this addresses it.

The absence of a Tugay or even a Cairney/McGinn is the key to me. Unfortunately, I don't think we can afford one. That's why I would give Rothwell a go in the "easier" games, although I doubt that he's the answer. More likely (although not certain) is that either Buckley or Rankin-Costello (both?!) will develop into the type of classy midfielder we need. Johnson and Travis are both good, but the evidence is that they are accomplished "holding" midfielders, rather than players who can split defences apart.
    In the short term, it might be that our best chance of some creativity is to risk playing Chapman as a genuine winger - knowing that will also create even more defensive frailty down that flank.
    Perhaps the answer is just to keep trying to grind out 1-0 victories. Not very exciting, but I suspect three of those in a row would shut the Telegraph moaners up, despite the fact that they are demanding flowing football.
    I don't remember too many complaints during that bizarre sequence under Howard Kendall!
    I keep thinking that 4-4-2 might suit us better, but we have an awful lot of forward players to fit in!

The left and the right side have been constant problems.
    He sorted the left short term,with downing and Cunningham but neglected the right.
    Bennett isn't the answer at right,neither is nyambe and to top it off we dont have anyone who is a natural winger in front of them,so Bennett/nyambe is always under pressure.
    Nothing new here but let's forget that and spend more millions on a player with potential.

That's why I fail to just put all this down to us being poor. We spent very good money on two strikers. One never plays, one gets shoved out of position, in favour of a 34 year old our of form striker at the end of his career. Hindsight is a wonderful thing however, this issue was here last season. He addressed Mulgrew, he addressed LB. Leaving one huge glaring weakness in our side. That any half decent manager will exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    The absence of a Tugay or even a Cairney/McGinn is the key to me. Unfortunately, I don't think we can afford one. That's why I would give Rothwell a go in the "easier" games, although I doubt that he's the answer. More likely (although not certain) is that either Buckley or Rankin-Costello (both?!) will develop into the type of classy midfielder we need. Johnson and Travis are both good, but the evidence is that they are accomplished "holding" midfielders, rather than players who can split defences apart.
    In the short term, it might be that our best chance of some creativity is to risk playing Chapman as a genuine winger - knowing that will also create even more defensive frailty down that flank.
    Perhaps the answer is just to keep trying to grind out 1-0 victories. Not very exciting, but I suspect three of those in a row would shut the Telegraph moaners up, despite the fact that they are demanding flowing football.
    I don't remember too many complaints during that bizarre sequence under Howard Kendall!
    I keep thinking that 4-4-2 might suit us better, but we have an awful lot of forward players to fit in!
    I think 4-4-2 could work. But I also think 3-5-1-1 would suit who we have player wise, and help in these sorts of games coming up at home to Millwall then Luton, who will bank 11 behind the ball and be tough to break down. I do feel we overlook this, and I feel Cunningham & Rankin -Costello would be very good wing backs. The 3 at the back would be solid, Tosin,Lenihan & Williams. Bring Bennett more into central midfield. For me it should be him or Downing both going for one spot. Offering better cover for the wing backs & defence. And Travis & Johnson in the other CM positions. Good cover with Evans, Buckley can step in easily. Both wing backs are covered by Bell & Nyambe. Dack & Gallagher in the two forward positions. With tonnes of other options to step in, Arma, Rothwell, Brereton, Samuel, Graham.
    That's a good quality side is that for this division. And you'd fancy their chances vrs most side. If/when it clicks we should finally start beating a few sides by 3 or 4.

That does make a lot of sense, Champs, and TM clearly considered the idea last season.
    Nyambe, for me, would be well-suited to being a wing-back, as his relatively poor positional sense is what often caught him out at full-back.
    Your back three would pick itself, and it's hard to drop either Travis or Johnson, so - with the keeper - that's six accounted for.
    The other five are much more open to debate.
    I still can't choose between Gallagher and Graham for the No.9 spot. It's 50/50 to me - promise versus experience and toughness. Dack is very hard to leave out, which leaves the two wing-backs and A.N. Other!
    I don't know if Cunningham has much experience in that role, and you could also make a case for Downing, Bell and R-C on the left.
    On the right? Nyambe or Bennett or R-C again.
    That leaves the fifth spot in the five.
    At the moment, I would give Rothwell a go. It's now or never for him.
    As I said in the other post, though, in midfield and attack, the choice is quite bewildering!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 12-09-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)