+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any changes for the millwall game?

Any changes for the millwall game?

Well it would be very easy to change most of the defence after the west brom performance but I would be inclined to drop lenihan for tosin(if fit) and Armstrong for Buckley.
    Sorry champs but also Gallagher on the bench with graham starting up top.

No changes for me, he tinkers too much and too often.
    The defence has been superb until the WBA match.
    Let's forget the knee jerk reactions, keep the team together and build confidence.
    (I'd normally want Bennett out of the RB spot but he must be TM's love child)

TM is very committed to having the two holding players in central midfield. In actual fact, Johnson and Travis do get forward more than Evans and Smallwood, but that is not their primary purpose. That means it's difficult to fit in a genuine winger, like Chapman, without going to 4-4-2, which Mowbray doesn't seem to favour.
    As a result, it's really a matter of choosing the front three. Dack is virtually a certainty. Then it's a straight choice between Graham and Gallagher for the No.9 spot. Let's say it's Graham. Who, then, is the third forward? It comes down to Armstrong, Rothwell, Chapman, and Gallagher again. Funnily enough, this game might suit Armstrong better than some recent ones, because we are more likely to be on the front foot. I'd still go for Rothwell myself.
    Are Rankin-Costello and Buckley in contention? Not for a starting-place, I'd have thought.
    Would that XI be my own first choice? No, but I'm trying to be realistic. Having said that, TM usually springs one surprise.
    I share Mowbray's belief that we need different teams for different opponents. As far as Millwall are concerned, I might take a risk myself:
    Walton
    Nyambe Lenihan Williams Cunningham
    Chapman Travis Rothwell Downing
    Dack Graham (but I'm about 50/50 between DG and Gallagher).

I would then definitely have Johnson back in for Rothwell, away to stronger teams, with Bennett in front of Nyambe. I'm not convinced the "third forward" that TM prefers has actually brought us much joy recently. I'd tell Dack to stick closer to Graham and rely on support from different areas of the midfield.
    I have always thought that 4-4-2 has a lot going for it but you do need the midfield to chip in with regular goals.

We have a run of games now which are all win-able, and we have a great chance to build some points and wins up here.
    But we need a positive line-up. If its the same as the Charlton game we will struggle to break Millwall down, as we just seem unable to do that. 2 holding players aren't needed. As we severely lack any kind of creativity. The 3 in forward positions are feeding on scraps. And we still don't possess a midfielder who can unlock a defence.
    I wouldn't bother with Rothwell, he just won't ever be the answer. I can't see Chapman changing his work ethic and attitude in 2 weeks, so he won't be considered. Which just leave Armstrong or Gallagher to play this out wide position that hasn't worked once this season.
    I still say Bennett is a liability at RB. And whoever he picks to play in front of him will expose him badly. While Bennett plays, I always feel the oppo have a chance. And the keeper isn't giving me any confidence.
    I expect that lad from City to still be injured, I haven't heard anything but my guess is he will probably be missing. He has all season, so not sure that will change any time soon.
    All depends on the day, how motivated we are, how we set up which will dictate how we play. We tend to use a system that isn't really working, and are sticking with it. Lets see if it works against sides who will sit deep and not attack us much. And we get on trying to find some creativity.
    If DG starts, we already know the game plan. Hit 40 yard , high balls into him, in the hope it sticks and he plays in others. As the game goes on, it doesn't, and Dack moves further and further back into midfield, isolating the striker.
    The winger (which ever of the 2 who will play) aren't wingers so won't beat anyone and get any crosses in.

Unless Bennett dies Auks, he will be starting games. Even if we all know he's crap, he's inexplicably been handed the captains armband. Come hell or high-water, form etc etc ....Bennett starts. First name on the team sheet.
    The problems start there.

I don't think the captaincy itself is inexplicable. No-one has worked harder or showed more enthusiasm over the last couple of years.
    Whether he's worth a guaranteed place is another matter.
    Speaking of "holding" players, I've just watched the N. Ireland-Germany match. Evans had a really good game - breaking up lots of German attacks, and distributing well (if not ambitiously).
    There you go! Football generalisations often come back to bite you.
    Back to the Millwall match. As I said, this might be a better game for Armstrong, but Dack would have to allow him to occupy the space in front of midfield, instead of constantly dropping back into it himself. Alternatively, they could take it in turns. Whichever it is, the system doesn't work if the No.9 doesn't have close support.
    Like us, Millwall have only scored five goals so far, so I presume their emphasis is on defence.
    Anyway, statistics aside, I have a good feeling about this game, and that "feeling" has always had a success rate of about...50%!

One last thing on Bennett. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I do think, Champs, that you have been watching the last few games with your anti-Bennett glasses on. He has been much better since (and including) the Fulham match. Against WBA, he and Williams definitely looked more assured than Lenihan and Cunningham.
    Being our right-back is a bit of a hiding to nothing, anyway, because we never seem to have as much cover down that side. That's why - in away games - I'd have Nyambe at full-back with Bennett in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I don't think the captaincy itself is inexplicable. No-one has worked harder or showed more enthusiasm over the last couple of years.
    Speaking of "holding" players, I've just watched the N. Ireland-Germany match. Evans had a really good game - breaking up lots of German attacks, and distributing well (if not ambitiously).
    Back to the Millwall match. As I said, this might be a better game for Armstrong, but Dack would have to allow him to occupy the space in front of midfield, instead of constantly dropping back into it himself. Alternatively, they could take it in turns. Whichever it is, the system doesn't work if the No.9 doesn't have close support.
    Like us, Millwall have only scored five goals so far, so I presume their emphasis is on defence.
    Anyway, statistics aside, I have a good feeling about this game, and that "feeling" has always had a success rate of about...50%!
    Auks, I have played football to a good standard. Semi Pro. I have been involved in football since I was a kid, both watching and playing. not a 5 a side kick about, actually semi pro inside a dressing room, playing alongside a few who had been pro. Actual football.
    At this point, Bennett is bloody awful. He's a liability. And not one person can tell me different. He is a joke. Way past his best. He isnt a RB, and its a joke he is playing in that position. The manager is part of the problem. He insists in playing a guy past his best, in a position he has never played.
    He did do a decent job (the last time he was playing well was about 12 months ago, but he dipped badly in the second half of the season. The position he did a decent job Auks, was RM. Not RB.
    We got dicked down at WBA, we got the run around. It was a pathetic defensive performance, by all 4, and that keeper. The manager set us up wrong, yet again. So we where set up for failure. And Bennett isn't a RB.
    I fully expect a professional footballer to be able to run about Auks, and put the odd tackle in. That's what you are defending him for. You missed the occasions he was left for dead by his winger. One of the goals (this happens every time we conceed) yet again came from his side of the pitch.
    Of course he has no chance. This isn't his fault. He runs about, gives the ball away so often. His crossing is woeful, he is slow, and costs us goals most weeks. The manager leaves him high and dry. By playing the wrong system, and leaving him woefully exposed. Ok, maybe Nyambe isnt the answer (TM clearly doesn't rate him) but I find it perplexing he believes Bennett is? It makes no sense. Neither does the system thats not currentlly working being used. Neither does exposing a bloke who has never played RB in his career. The issue isnt Bennett, he is just the poor sod who is getting exposed every game. The system is wrong, Armstrong is just at fault. And the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Totally agree about Evans. He played very well last night. I was impressed. Football is harsh and unrelenting. And fine margins separate okay, good and class players. He was very good last night, apart from the goal. There, he was nowhere. That one second was the crucial part of the game. You can have a good game for 89 minutes and 59 seconds, but turn off for that one second, and your done.
    He didn't show me anything I didn't know last night. He passed sideways and backwards very well. But that wouldn't help us. And while he was good last night, the one part he needed to be there, he wasn't.
    I don't mind Evans, he is average. But if we need creativity, he lacks that, and if we need the back 4 protecting, he isn't going to do that. If we want to finish 15th again or lower, get him back in the side. Even at 42 I would be happy to stand in the centre circle and pass a ball sideways or back. And never be expected to score a goal, have a shot etc. There are literally thousands of these types about in professional football.

As in the captain. You don't pick the guy that runs about alot, and offers nothing else.
    You pick a natural born leader. That's Lenihan.
    If he is fit, generally he starts. After Dack and Travis (who I think should also have been considered for captaincy) he is one of the first names on the team sheet.
    All those players run about alot too, that's a basic requirement for a professional footballer. I'm yet to come across one that doesn't do that.
    But its about what else they offer. And what they bring to the side.
    I have to admit, I am really struggling with Bennett.
    The reason I said inexplicably Auks, was the reason you already agreed with. He is not a starter. Nobody would start him week after week after week. But making him captain, means he now DOES start every week. This decision I find absolutely mental. Of which I find most people actually agree with.
    His performances early in the season where poor. He cost us 3 points vrs Charlton. Yes, I agree he has picked up a bit.
    From the lowest of low standards he set himself, I bloody expected him to. He was absolutely awful.
    This is the second tier of english football, he fell well beneath that last season, and started woefully this.
    So handing him the armband hasn't worked. As he is a liability. Improved off one of the worst performances I have seen from a RB at Rovers in over 35 years of watching, but not nearly good enough.
    15th again with guys like that, and going nowhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)