+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 down, 32 to go, onto Ayr Saturday

This isnt hindsight as I thought before the game that Brown shouldn't have started. Butch at CB and Harkes in would have been my 11. Why would you bring in a new guy in at the centre of defence against a team that will be challenging for the title?

Ayr were the better side. They wanted it more and were first to first and second balls. I though Brown did OK. He won almost every header, was willing to get stuck in and put his head where it hurt. He was let down by his distribution and favoured long punts which went to no-one (thats both CB's who were doing that). Shankland had poor service today but their defender did very well against him when there was an attack. I agree that on another day one of our chances would have went in and it could have been a different game but all in all Ayr showed they know how to beat us. We seemed listless when they should have been right up for this one. 12/15 points is a hell of an improvement on last year but we'll have to learn to win against these boys to win this league. If they can add some depth to their squad so they can cope with injuries they are our most serious threat this season based on who we have played so far.

Thought we did Ok. Liam Smith had a nightmare. At fault for both goals though maybe slightly unfortunate for the first one,break of the ball favouring the Ayr goal scorer.The breaks went for us against Dundee they didn't today. Thought we had three great shouts for penalties only free kicks given. Said to the wife near the end McCall will say they were miles the better team and we were lucky it was only two. See his comments on BBC Sport. He really hates United.

More than happy with the start to the season. But......... Will we ever put a real marker down in games like today ?

Couldn't make the match so listened on Arabzone, and it didn't seem like the game the stats suggest.

Really wish we could win games like this when we are doing so well , and if we were just unlucky so be it, but it "sounded" like we were second to nearly everything. Every time we get the chance to show the league that we are the team to beat, some team goes ahead and does it ! :/

I think the bottom line is that with the start we got thrown at us, 12 points is something we would have grabbed at. Let’s face it, we could have been unbeaten with three wins and two draws and everybody would be happy, yet we would have one less point than what we’ve actually got. The fixtures open up a bit now with plenty home fixtures in the coming weeks, so I’m more than confident we will be in a very decent position come the end of the first round of matches. And let’s not lose sight of one slightly important factor - we are TOP of the league.

Was expecting a bigger support today and thought it was wee bit subdued especially after the last league result. Disappointed with the result and the first half display.

Top marks to the Ayr fans, noisier and more than enthusiastic than many premier league supporters

thought the burgers were phukkin great, ❤️ Being able to get onions is braw

all in all, can accent the result without too much bitterness, but can’t have many days like that, not if we want to be Championees, champinonees

Sadly missed the first 10 mins and goal. Couple of observations. Ayr to a man were far more 'up for the game' than our team and worked in a far more disciplined manner knowing exactly which players to subdue to stop us (even though we made some good chances). Shankland got no service and was marked by 2 at most times. He would have been better sitting on the centre spot to create space for others. Every time we had the ball there was 2 and 3 defenders right in the face to win it back.

I think Aperre would have been better in the centre interchanging with Shankland on the left to create space and confusion. We also left far to much space between midfield and the back 4.

Brown did OK, not outstanding and lucky not to be carded but maybe if he had better mobility he wouldn't be like a roundabout...

The Ayr stream was poor quality however the commentators were much more enthusiastic than the couple we have on the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    I think the bottom line is that with the start we got thrown at us, 12 points is something we would have grabbed at. Let’s face it, we could have been unbeaten with three wins and two draws and everybody would be happy, yet we would have one less point than what we’ve actually got. The fixtures open up a bit now with plenty home fixtures in the coming weeks, so I’m more than confident we will be in a very decent position come the end of the first round of matches. And let’s not lose sight of one slightly important factor - we are TOP of the league.

Indeed, sounds like a key point of the second half was Clark but scoring, typical him really to not score when it matters, then they get the pen a min later, they also got the break for the first goal etc

For me this was going to be the toughest of the games so far but we will be able to shut mccalls pus when they come tu Tannadice.. The bigger picture of the games coming up between now and early November, if we do the right things this week and go out and perform against Arbroath then the momentum continues, we will always have a set back here and there but not many, those who finish top still lose games.

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post
    The Ayr stream was poor quality however the commentators were much more enthusiastic than the couple we have on the zone.

The main guy is fine Scott, the other guy is like nails diem a blackboard and ruins the whole experience so swerve it out mute any highlights he is on, not a voice for commentating

disappointing result obviously but ayr are a tricky team as they showed last season. our record down there since weve been down isnt great (only won once in 5 visits).

id be same as most where i dont really know why he brought the new boy in for his debut esp when we have a few home games coming up where he could ease him in. plus harkes has been a standout in the games hes played imo. harkes and stanton would have gave us the energy to win 2nd balls which could have helped us get some control into the game.
    Imo it striked me as abit of arrogance from neilson. other more experienced managers would have eased him in and stuck with what had been working.

1st half was really poor. everything weve done well so far this season went out the window.
    2nd half was much better. started to play and when we did they couldnt handle us and if it wasnt for abit of luck we would have got back into the game before the 2nd goal.

if you had offered us all after 5 games wed have 12/15 we would have taken it! its not ideal but we have some "favourable game" at home next so if we react to this result by winning next week then we should be ok.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)