+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nolan interested in Lincoln job

His 0 PPG ratio suggests he would have had us relegated by christmas. There was absolutely nothing there to suggest that he would have arrested the terrible run of results that he oversaw through preseason onwards.

The very fact that no-one else has touched him says it all....I do hope he gets another job, just so that people stop going on about getting him back in.

Maybe Lincoln may try and poach Ardley. One can hope
    Last edited by irishpete; 10-09-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post
    Just out of interest, whilst recognising the failings of Nolan as well as the qualities he did have who here believes if he had't been sacked Notts wouldn't have been relegated? Even after a desperate relegation fight?

It's a difficult one as the team were in a real tailspin at the time and so it becomes very difficult to rise out of those situations.

Aye - relegated?

No - survived?
    It's a pointless question.

He would have never been here long enough to have a relegation fight because his job (and budget) was to get us promoted, he could have been sacked for having us mid table at Christmas, there is no situation where Nolan stays all season and we finish in the lower half because that would have been completely unnacceptable and wasn't even thought of as a possibility at the start of the season.

When he was sacked it was because Hardy wanted promotion and didn't think Nolan was going to deliver it anymore, not because he didn't think Nolan would keep us up. (I'd probably say the same of Kewell too, in that Hardy was still thinking we could get promoted when he sacked him)

The managers and players we had last season entering the ground through a revolving door is why we were relegated, not one of the single managers, although an argument could be made against Ardley (imo), and Nolan has to take a lot of the blame for the squad he put together, their attitudes and their fitness'

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post

He would have never been here long enough to have a relegation fight because his job (and budget) was to get us promoted, he could have been sacked for having us mid table at Christmas, there is no situation where Nolan stays all season and we finish in the lower half because that would have been completely unnacceptable and wasn't even thought of as a possibility at the start of the season.

When he was sacked it was because Hardy wanted promotion and didn't think Nolan was going to deliver it anymore, not because he didn't think Nolan would keep us up. (I'd probably say the same of Kewell too, in that Hardy was still thinking we could get promoted when he sacked him)

The managers and players we had last season entering the ground through a revolving door is why we were relegated, not one of the single managers, although an argument could be made against Ardley (imo), and Nolan has to take a lot of the blame for the squad he put together, their attitudes and their fitness'
    And ardley is trying to sort it all out if people give him a chance. All summer he didn't know if he would still have a job

That seven people (including yourself) have chosen to answer.

If Lincoln are stupid enough to appoint Nolan - Which I am pretty sure they wont be as he has nothing to offer them that could surely be of interest other than experience in hoof ball and he lives close by - then it will not be too long before they are back in their natural position of lower half of league 2. For a small regional club like Lincoln the bubble will have burst now unless they can pull another rabbit out of the hat which is most definitely not Kevin Nolan. They have had an amazing run and fair play to them but reality bites sometimes. I can see a fall from grace ala Notts after Allardyce left coming right up. Think Cowleys will continue to do well at Huddersfield if they continue to behave in the same manner.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    If Lincoln are stupid enough to appoint Nolan - Which I am pretty sure they wont be as he has nothing to offer them that could surely be of interest other than experience in hoof ball and he lives close by - then it will not be too long before they are back in their natural position of lower half of league 2. For a small regional club like Lincoln the bubble will have burst now unless they can pull another rabbit out of the hat which is most definitely not Kevin Nolan. They have had an amazing run and fair play to them but reality bites sometimes. I can see a fall from grace ala Notts after Allardyce left coming right up. Think Cowleys will continue to do well at Huddersfield if they continue to behave in the same manner.
    The thing with Lincoln tho' is unlike us they haven't got any big close neighbours.
    When a club does have a good few years of success then they get new fans and they tend to stick around longer.
    Last edited by i961pie; 11-09-2019 at 09:08 AM.

'
    You're probably right. The next two games after he got sacked were FGR home and Exeter City away, sides that finished 5th and 9th, so if Hardy had listened to certain board members and held on, the pressure to make the change would most likely have grown stronger.

It turned out that Hardy was the last person in Nottingham to accept that promotion was out of the question. I think he still believed it was possible when he sacked Kewell.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    The thing with Lincoln tho' is unlike us they haven't got any big close neighbours.
    When a club does have a good few years of success then they get new fans and they tend to stick around longer.
    Exactly. They've almost quadrupled their fan base in about five years. That's what a period of prolonged success does. But fans are quicker to join the party than they are to leave, and I expect they'll maintain decent crowds for a good few years to come.

There will be a whole generation of kids that started supporting Lincoln during the Cowley era, and many of them will stick around, because that's what football fans do. The tricky thing is attracting new fans when you are doing rubbish.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 11-09-2019 at 11:15 AM.

He was only interested because he thought Imps was shorthand for Imperial Fluid Ounces.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast