+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nolan interested in Lincoln job

Nolan interested in Lincoln job

I have a feeling that the Cowley's will fail at Huddersfield and Lincoln will tail back off with their attendances falling back to normal levels before too long.

Football is all about momentum, Lincoln used it well stemming from their FA Cup run to help with their promotion push in the National League and that spring boarded them further but this cancels the momentum in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I have a feeling that the Cowley's will fail at Huddersfield and Lincoln will tail back off with their attendances falling back to normal levels before too long.

Football is all about momentum, Lincoln used it well stemming from their FA Cup run to help with their promotion push in the National League and that spring boarded them further but this cancels the momentum in my opinion
    Maybe, maybe not. No reason why they can't remain a competent L1 side for the foreseeable future, getting above-average crowds. I agree that over time, and without an outstanding manager or major investment, clubs tend to return to their natural level. But the Cowley's impact was so great that L1 could now be considered their natural level.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. No reason why they can't remain a competent L1 side for the foreseeable future, getting above-average crowds. I agree that over time, and without an outstanding manager or major investment, clubs tend to return to their natural level. But the Cowley's impact was so great that L1 could now be considered their natural level.
    I have to disagree with this. Before the FA Cup run, Lincoln were getting crowds of 2000, a few years stagnating in League one will make that drop off and then they have an expensive squad with lower crowds, they'll either cut the cloth accordingly and drop or go into a shaky financial position

Up until 1961 they had been a 2nd tier club for the most part, they were 3rd tier when I was growing up and first saw them at Notts. The crowds they're getting now would be enough to sustain them at that level. They probably won't drop below 5k so long as they avoid the drop.

Good luck to Nolan if he gets the job, he deserves another go at it.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Good luck to Nolan if he gets the job, he deserves another go at it.
    Nolan is one of those ex-Notts bosses who really annoys me. Why would I wish him luck when he's a big part of the reason we are where we are? If he had stood up to the All Knowing One and recruited properly (like actually having a defence) last season could have been so different. Oh, and then there was the pre-season, a whole unfit team. Wholly unacceptable. The Lincoln powers that be will never be mad enough....

Just out of interest, whilst recognising the failings of Nolan as well as the qualities he did have who here believes if he had't been sacked Notts wouldn't have been relegated? Even after a desperate relegation fight?

It's a difficult one as the team were in a real tailspin at the time and so it becomes very difficult to rise out of those situations.

Aye - relegated?

No - survived?

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post
    Just out of interest, whilst recognising the failings of Nolan as well as the qualities he did have who here believes if he had't been sacked Notts wouldn't have been relegated? Even after a desperate relegation fight?

It's a difficult one as the team were in a real tailspin at the time and so it becomes very difficult to rise out of those situations.

Aye - relegated?

No - survived?
    Relegated, definitely. If the rumours of his drinking are true, the chairman probably had little choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post

Aye - relegated?

No - survived?
    I think we would have survived for three reasons....

1. Nolan would have kept the dressing room together.
    2. At least some of the money that was wasted on paying off and recruiting managers would have instead been available to better strengthen the squad.
    3. We only needed 4 more points than we ended up with.

All that however is assuming the atmosphere at the ground wouldn't have become toxic enough to force him out had Hardy stuck with him and for that to have happened Nolan would have had to start picking up points very quickly after game 5.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I think we would have survived for three reasons....

1. Nolan would have kept the dressing room together.
    2. At least some of the money that was wasted on paying off and recruiting managers would have instead been available to better strengthen the squad.
    3. We only needed 4 more points than we ended up with.

All that however is assuming the atmosphere at the ground wouldn't have become toxic enough to force him out had Hardy stuck with him and for that to have happened Nolan would have had to start picking up points very quickly after game 5.
    He'd lost the dressing room, after I believe Lincoln, players went out into Nottingham and were saying "things". He certainly didn't have the dressing room then so he couldn't have kept it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast