+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which teams do you support

Which teams do you support

that are non-English/British?

It's funny because all over Europe it seems to me that, like myself, people have a team they support in their own country and then an English team. However, I get the impression that most fans in England don't seem to support any other club than the one they support in their home country.

In Denmark, many people - again, like myself - value their English teams higher than their national/local ones. Naturally, some also support Spanish / Italian / German teams, but Premier League is by far the most watched around here. I know this is true for a lot of other European nations as well.

I think there's an aura about football in England that people recognize and identify with, even if they're not English or don't live in England. It's just bigger, better, means more and all these things. Mainly, I think it's because of the number of fans, their passion and the atmosphere in the various grounds (which is still very evident on TV).

My dad, a Leeds fan, told me that in the 70's you could hardly watch any Danish teams on TV bar the National team. It would be Liverpool, Man United, Wolves, Villa, etc. So there's a history there as well.

Even if you've decided to leave the EU, I doubt this will change anything regarding people's fascination with and adoration for English football.

Anyway - so do you have a team outside of your own country that you (genuinely-ish) support?

Not really.

I like to keep an on Besiktas because after Uni a group of us went to Istanbul and me and friend snuck/walked (the gate was completely open) and watched a bunch of people practising on the pitch.

I assume it was the team and coach as it looked very official but don't actually know

Borussia Monchengladbach. My mate lived near the ground & we paid a visit on a non match day.

I think you're right, Hughie-most English fans support their own team only.

I'm not bothered by any other team apart from Newcastle. And I don't mean that in a way that is dismissive of other countries' leagues...it's just that I consider myself a Newcastle fan first and a football fan second.

I struggle to even care about my own team these days, so everybody elses can phuck off....

I support only NUFC but follow Flamengo who, for the first time in a long time have a decent team, are leading the league and in the semis of the Libertadores.

Just Red Star Belgrade although back in the 80s i liked Hearts too

Just Newcastle United for me in terms of my love for the club.
    I like to see Hartlepool do well and also England.

Newcastle United and every team that plays the tramps down the road

I have moved about a bit and have always "supported" the local team wherever I lived as my 4th team (Berwick Rangers No 2 and Hartlepool No 3 due to family connections).

So in the day I have supported Brentford (shame about the colours), Wycombe Wanderers and St Martins (my local team when I lived in Guernsey - they play in Toon colours).
    When I moved to Brighton it was OK as Albion were down in League One.
    I still watch them now, but always want them to finish just below Newcastle and I always go in the away end when they play each other. No split loyalties at those games!

Foreign teams - VfB Stuttgart because I went to school there for a while and took in a few games.
    Fiorentina because I worked for an Italian company with a factory close to Florence.
    Valencia because it's a great city, it's not Barca or Real and they play in black and white.
    I have a soft spot for Athletic Bilbao because the Basque country is great and they are passionate supporters - but they were founded by Mackems and play in Mackem colours!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)